Texas History Collection - 5,710 Matching Results

Search Results

[Historic House, Marshall]

Description: The Fry-Barry house in Marshall has a Texas Medallion designating it as a Texas Historic Landmark. Built between 1853 and 1861 by Fidel Bercher, it is located at 314 West Austin Street very near the courthouse square. Architect W. R. D. Ward designed the raised-cottage plan. The main rooms are on the second level; but the lower level is enclosed with rooms also. Bricks were hand-made by local slaves. In 1872 the house was purchased by E. J. Fry, a member of the English Frye family that was associated with the family of Thomas Jefferson. E. J. Fry was in the Civil War before coming to Marshall where he was a successful businessman. A daughter married W. L. Barry and lived in the home until 1961; hence the name Fry-Barry. The house remained in the family for more than 110 years, and is still well maintained.
Date: unknown
Partner: Marshall Public Library

[Historic House, Marshall]

Description: The Wigfall House in Marshall, Texas has a Texas Medallion designating it as a Texas Historic Landmark. It is located at 510 West Burleson Street. It was constructed between 1854 and 1856 by Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Jordan. During the Civil War it was owned by Louis T. Wigfall, a colorful lawyer and politician whose name endures with the house. It originally had the symmetrical, single-level plan of four rooms and a central hall that is typical of the early East Texas house. Subsequent owners have transformed it into a one-and-one-half story Victorian cottage.
Date: unknown
Partner: Marshall Public Library

[Historic Train Depot, Marshall]

Description: This train depot served the Texas & Pacific passenger traffic in Marshall when the city was a center for east-west transportation through Texas as well as a large railroad yard. Now the several trains which pass daily through the city are either T&P freight or AMTRAK. The depot has been restored by Marshall citizens and contains a museum. It is the centerpiece of the historic train district. The picture gives a side view of the building before its restoration.
Date: unknown
Partner: Marshall Public Library

[Historic Train Depot, Marshall]

Description: A view of the Texas and Pacific depot in Marshall. The lettering proclaims "Marshall Passenger Station." The tracks run on both sides of the building, so that passengers descend through a tunnel from the parking lot to reach the station. On the second floor balconies permit visitors to view both T&P freight and AMTRAK trains passing underneath. The depot was restored during the 1900s by Marshall citizens and now contains a museum. The depot is the centerpiece of the city's historic train district.
Date: unknown
Partner: Marshall Public Library

[Historic Train District, Marshall]

Description: At the time of this picture, the old Ginocchio railroad hotel (at left) in Marshall contained the "All Things Good Restaurant." At right is the brick ticket office which contains the tunnel under the tracks to the historic depot, out of sight behind the office. In the center is a freight train rolling through.
Date: unknown
Partner: Marshall Public Library

[Historic Train District, Marshall]

Description: The scene shows part of the historic train district of Marshall. In the right background, some freight cars and the upper story of the train depot appear behind the ticket office, which is in the right center. When passengers bought tickets, they descended into a tunnel which went underneath the tracks to the depot. In the left center is the Ginocchio Hotel, which served rail traffic for many decades. The picture dates from the 1960's. The hotel has been used for a number of venues, including restaurants and a museum, since the heyday of rail service. The All Things Good restaurant figures prominently in the image. The depot was restored during the 1990's and is now a railroad museum. Although the rail yards which made Marshall a rail center are long gone, the T&P railroad and AMTRAK still use the rail route with scheduled stops. The preservation of this historic area has been a highlight of community activity.
Date: unknown
Partner: Marshall Public Library

Hobart Taylor, Jr.

Description: Hobart Taylor, Jr. was educated in Houston and at Prairie View A&M College and traveled to Washington D.C. as the President's Committee on Equal Employment Opportunity. He later became a special counsel to President Johnson and in 1965 was appointed a director of the Import-Export Bank.
Date: unknown
Partner: Jacob Fontaine Religious Museum

[Home Service Memorial Pamphlet]

Description: This pamphlet describes the memorial service held by the First Baptist Church of Paris, TX to honor the soldiers from Lamar County who were killed during World War I. The front cover features text identifying the event to be held as a Home Service Memorial conducted by the American Red Cross "For the sons of Lamar County who have given their lives in service of their country" at the First Baptist Church of Paris, Texas on March 7th, 1919. The inside of the pamphlet contains a program guide to the memorial events, including a list of hymns to be sung and masses read, as well as an honor roll of the fallen soldiers for whom the memorial was conducted. Jett Falls name on the third page under the list of Honor Roll individuals, tenth from the top.
Date: March 7, 1919
Partner: Euless Public Library

[Honorable Edgar (Ed) Foreman]

Description: The Honorable Edgar (Ed) Foreman is pictured in this newspaper clipping with accompanying text. He represented Texas to the U.S. House of Representatives, 88th Congress, in 1963-65. Later he represented his home state of New Mexico.
Date: unknown
Partner: Marshall Public Library

[Honorary speakers at church service]

Description: Photograph of the honorary speakers who attended the Westminster Presbyterian Church one hundred year marker service in the sanctuary. Reverend Dr. John R. Hendrick is standing in the center of the image next to a female speaker that holds a paper copy of her speech.
Date: March 2, 1980
Partner: Tyrrell Historical Library

[Horticulture Student]

Description: Black and white photograph shows student in the greenhouse at Richland College. She is attending to a hanging plant. Potted plants are in the background. She is wearing a dress with a solid colored shirt and patterned top.
Date: 1973
Partner: Dallas County Community College District