Texas History Collection - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Papers Concerning Robertson's Colony in Texas, Volume 11, July 26 through October 14, 1835, Nashville-on-the-Brazos

Description: The papers concerning Robertson's Colony in Texas include text providing historical context and an overview of events as well as transcriptions of land grant maps and other documentation related to the colony. This volume focuses on the events immediately before the Texas Revolution when the Mexican army moved into parts of Texas and the people living in Sarahville de Viesca (the capital of Robertson's Colony) began to leave the city to live in Nashville-on-the-Brazos, another city within the borders of the colony. Index starts on page 625.
Date: 1984
Creator: McLean, Malcolm Dallas, 1913-
Partner: UNT Libraries

[A Parade Float]

Description: Photograph of a Texas flag and a U.S. flag waving in the air at the League City sesquicentennial parade in celebration of Texas' 150th birthday. A giant birthday cake and a small portion of a Big Tex effigy are also partially visible.
Date: April 19, 1986
Creator: Kiecke, Albert
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Parade Float Featuring League City Emblem]

Description: Photograph of a parade float, with mostly its back in view, cruising down a road in the League City sesquicentennial parade in celebration of Texas' 150th birthday. The back of the float features the League City emblem, which has the silhouette of a live oak tree at its center. According to text above the emblem, the float is sponsored by the League City Fire Department.
Date: April 19, 1986
Creator: Kiecke, Albert
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Parade Float Judges]

Description: Photograph of the 35th annual League City Village Fest parade judges riding in a parade car that is adorned in garland and colored flowers. The three judges are sitting on the back of the car and interacting with the crowd. A sign on the car's driver-side door emphasizes their identity.
Date: May 1989
Creator: Kiecke, Albert
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Parade of Flags in League Park]

Description: Photograph of a group of children standing together at League Park; each individual child has a flag to carry for the Fourth of July flag parade, a part of the city's naturalization ceremony.
Date: July 4, 1996
Creator: Kiecke, Albert
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Parade of Flags in League Park]

Description: Photograph of adolescent girls lined up by the footbridge in League Park. Each girl is carrying a unique flag for the parade of flags, a part of the city's Fourth of July naturalization ceremony. A gazebo is visible in the background.
Date: July 4, 1996
Creator: Kiecke, Albert
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Parade Procession in League City]

Description: Photograph of a float coming down Kansas Street in League City's 32nd Annual Village Fest parade. A red pick-up truck pulling a float that features a giant effigy of a Texan is visible in the distance. Parade spectators are gathered on either side of the two-way street.
Date: May 10, 1986
Creator: Kiecke, Albert
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Parade Sponsor Float]

Description: Photograph of a parade float featuring the sponsors of League City's 32nd Annual Village Fest, coasting down Kansas Street. A blue pick-up truck is hauling the makeshift trailer-turned-float, which holds a group of passengers. A sign positioned above the trailer hitch has the text, "Welcome Class of 1986" and the Clear Creek High School emblem on it. Below that text are the names of some sponsors. Colorful bunting is festooned between the truck and the trailer.
Date: May 10, 1986
Creator: Kiecke, Albert
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Paradise Baptist Church]

Description: Paradise Baptist Church is a traditionally African-American congregation in Marshall. It is located approximately four and one-half miles south of the city on the Five Notch Road. The church was organized in 1926, meeting at first in a brush arbor until building. The first building burned and was replaced by one "with many improvements." It is unknown whether the picture shows the first building or the second. The church shown is a small white frame structure standing on brick piers. A gabled porch is over the entrance. A gabled (dog-house) cupola projects from the roof.
Date: unknown
Partner: Marshall Public Library

[Parent Child Study]

Description: Black and white photograph of Parent Child Study program. This is an informal shot with adults and children interacting. The woman on the floor without glasses and hand on floor is Lu McClellen. She was Dean of Technical Education. There is a baby crawling and two other small children. There are seveal students observing.
Date: 1973
Partner: Dallas County Community College District

[Park School, Marshall]

Description: Park School was an early elementary school for African-American children in Marshall. It was located at 600 Park Street. In 1902, local educator J. H. Moore was authorized by the school board to organize an elementary school for northwest Marshall. Classes began in the Odd Fellows Hall on West Grand Ave. They moved to the brick building on Park St. on Jan. 5, 1903. Moore was principal there for 22 years and was succeeded by L. E. Thompson. During Thompson's leadership, two additional classrooms, an auditorium, and four more rooms were added. P. E. Moon became the third principal in 1950, remaining there until the school was closed in 1954. A new campus named for J. H. Moore replaced Park Elementary, and the old campus no longer exists.
Date: unknown
Partner: Marshall Public Library

[Parker Brand Book]

Description: Handwritten ledger containing a list of registered brands in Texas and surrounding states, including ear marks and branding symbols as well as the name and address of the holders.
Date: unknown
Partner: National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum

[Partial Letter]

Description: Folded paper that has a partial letter written on the front that says: "Mineral Wells, Texas, July 10, 1905, Dear Sig - I thought I would write you a few lines. How are you do hope you are well. I went out Donkey riding this morning." The text changes to different writing that says "we are playing high fire now..." as well as other written text and numbers on other parts of the page.
Date: July 1905
Partner: McFaddin-Ward House Museum

[Passengers Boarding the Texas Limited Train]

Description: Photograph of people climbing aboard a passenger train of the Texas Limited. A man wearing overalls and a conductor's cap is amongst the passengers. It is a silver-colored car with windows with the Texas Limited logo partially visible on its side.
Date: February 4, 1993
Creator: Kiecke, Albert
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Passengers Descending the Houston Express]

Description: Photograph of passengers descending from The Houston Express, a train which once traveled between Houston and Galveston. The train is stopped in League City for the Red Ribbon Rally, an event that was part of a city-wide Drug Awareness Week put on by League City. The event was held in League Park.
Date: October 24, 1990
Creator: Kiecke, Albert
Partner: League City Helen Hall Library

[Patio Overlooking Lake]

Description: Black and white photograph of a broad patio at North Lake College. It is overlooking the lake on the campus. There are trees past the water. There is a brick wall with a rail at the edge of the patio.
Date: 1977
Partner: Dallas County Community College District

[Pattie Powell and Others in Washington D.C.]

Description: Black and white photograph of Dallas County Community College District supports, board members, etc. in Washington, D.C. From left: Dian Rominger, Bart Rominger, Pattie Powell, Jim Collins, Ruth Bucholtz, Don Buchholtz, Lillie Belle Hall, and J.D. Hall. This photograph is published in the Dec/Jan 1978/79 Intercom.
Date: 1985
Partner: Dallas County Community College District

[Paul E. Moon, Marshall Educator]

Description: Mr. Paul E. Moon was a Marshall educator. He taught at Central School c1937 and was teaching at Pemberton High School by 1949. He became principal of Park Elementary School c1951. When Park was replaced by J. H. Moore Elementary to serve Marshall's northwest area, he became principal there. His birth and death dates are unknown; but his wife Ruth was listed as his widow in 1968. Paul Moon was a member of the Moon family that included his brother L. A. Moon, a prominent businessman in the New Town Neighborhood, a historic African-American community.
Date: unknown
Partner: Marshall Public Library