Photographing Texas - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Martin County Courthouse, Stanton

Description: Photograph of the Martin County Courthouse, built 1975 by architects Riherd & Huckabee.
Date: August 6, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Historic plaque on grounds of Martin Co. Courthouse: Marienfeld

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Stanton, Texas. It reads: "Marienfeld. Former name of Stanton. Begun as German colony by 5 German Catholics from Kansas, who pitched tents here, near new Texas & Pacific Railroad in 1881. The site - with a water tank, section house, telegraph office - bore name Grelton, but settlers had it changed to Marienfeld - German for "Field of Mary". County was created 1876 and named for Wylie Martin, senator in Republic of Texas. When the county organized, town became county seat. First commissioners court met here December 13, 1884. Through Protestant influence, town was renamed Stanton, 1890. (1970)"
Date: August 6, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Governor's Community Achievement Award - Stanton

Description: Photograph of the Governor's Community Achievement Award. It says "Presented to Stanton 1974. Beautify Texas Council. The Governor's Community Achievement Award. For enhancing the quality of life in the community through planning, improving and preserving an attractive environment. (signed by) Governor. The State of Texas."
Date: August 7, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Building mural - Stanton

Description: Photograph of a mural painted on the side of a building in Stanton, Texas. It features a cowboy, boots, and other Texas scenes.
Date: August 6, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries