Photographing Texas - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells

Description: Photograph of the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells, built 1929 by architects Wyatt C. Hendrick and Co. Architects. It has been vacant since 1972.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells

Description: Photograph of the front of the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells, built 1929 by architects Wyatt C. Hendrick and Co. Architects. It has been vacant since 1972. It is at least twelve stories tall.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells

Description: Photograph of the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells, built 1929 by architects Wyatt C. Hendrick and Co. Architects. It has been vacant since 1972. The building is at least twelve stories tall.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells, detail of top floor - the "Cloud Room"

Description: Photograph of the top floor, called the "Cloud Room", at the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells, Texas. There is a balcony around the wall. Several of the windows have been punched out. The hotel was built in 1929 by architects Wyatt C. Hendrick and Co. Architects. It has been vacant since 1972.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells, detail of doorway

Description: Photograph of the doorway to the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells, Texas. There are double doors in white with glass windows. The door on the left has a sign warning against trespassing. The hotel was built in 1929 by architects Wyatt C. Hendrick and Co. Architects. It has been vacant since 1972.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells, colonnade

Description: Photograph of the colonnade near the front entrance of the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells, Texas. It was built in 1929 by architects Wyatt C. Hendrick and Co. Architects. It has been vacant since 1972. The floor is made of red brick, and the walls of slightly lighter brick.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Baker Hotel, Mineral Wells, colonnade

Description: Photograph of the colonnade at the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells. It was built in 1929 by architects Wyatt C. Hendrick and Co. Architects. It has been vacant since 1972.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Palo Pinto County Courthouse

Description: Palo Pinto County Courthouse, built 1940, architects Preston M. Geren and M. A. Howell.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries

[Historical Marker: John Richard Winters (January 23, 1908 - August 11, 1997)]

Description: Photograph of a historic marker for John Richard Winters (January 23, 1908 - August 11, 1997) in Mineral Wells, Texas. Text: Tax-Assessor-Collector for Palo Pinto County from January 1, 1947 to March 31, 1987. Longest tenured Tax Assessor in the State of Texas at the time of his retirement. Active participant in civic affairs and community projects throughout the county: Sea Scout Troop Leader; President of the Mineral Wells Junior Chamber of Commerce; Charter member, Captain and Secretary of Palo Pinto County's Sheriff's Posse; Secretary of Palo Pinto County Livestock Association and its FFA-4H Club Junior Livestock Show; Palo Pinto Masonic Lodge; Mineral Wells Masonic Lodge; Old Settlers Reunion. President of Tax Assessor-Collectors Association of Texas in 1862. Retired from U. S. Army as Chief Warrant Officer after 21 years of service in Europe in World War II and active reserves. Instrumental in County Contribution to state-wide screw worm eradication program; re-introduction of wild turkeys into Palo Pinto County; publication of Palo Pinto County History Books; Centennial Celebration; Erection of Historical Markers in Palo Pinto County. Remembered for his untiring efforts to promote Palo Pinto County and Improve the quality of life for all its residents throughout his 89 year lifetime.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries

Historic Plaque, Courthouses of Palo Pinto County

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque about the courthouses of Palo Pinto County. It reads: "Palo Pinto County was created in 1856 and named for a creek south of here that was perhaps named by Spanish explorers of the Brazos River valley. The county seat of 320 acres was surveyed at its geographical center and was originally named Golconda. A court session in 1857 called for the first courthouse to be built of wood frame construction, with two doors and three windows. The contract was awarded to a bid of $300. Shortly after, in 1859, the town name was changed to Palo Pinto. In 1882, just after the Texas legislature allowed counties to issue bonds for new courthouses, a large sandstone structure was built. It cost $35,000 and exhibited second empire styling with a central clock tower. A two-story sandstone annex was added in 1906 and connected to the courthouse by an iron bridge. Sandstone for the buildings was quarried south of the city. In 1940 these buildings were demolished and a new courthouse was erected by Work Projects Administration workers. The reinforced-concrete structure featured subtle classical detail and was clad with some of the sandstone from the old buildings. It was completed in 1942 at a cost of $250,000. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986."
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Historic Plaque, Jonathan Hamilton Baker

Description: Photograph of a historic marker in Palo Pinto, Texas. It reads: "Jonathan Hamilton Baker (July 13, 1832 - October 18, 1918). Virginia native Jonathan Hamilton "Ham" Baker came to Texas in 1858 with his brother G. W. Baker and his uncle Eli Young. Stricken by malaria while a teacher in Fort Worth, he later moved to Palo Pinto County where his uncle Frank Baker was homesteading. Here he opened a school in Palo Pinto, and soon after helped establish the town's first Methodist Church. In 1859 Baker was chosen to lead a company of local men organized to defend the area against Indian attacks. He first served under Capt. J. R. Baylor and later participated with Capt. Lawrence Sullivan Ross in the recovery of Cynthia Ann Parker, the white woman seized by Comanches in 1836. During the Civil War he served as leader of the home guard. Baker was also an open range cattleman, and in 1869 he began driving his herds to Kansas railheads. Active in local government, he served as Deputy Sheriff, Justice of the Peace, Deputy Postmaster and Clerk of the County and District. In 1890 he moved to Granbury, where he became a successful nurseryman. For over 60 years Baker kept a detailed diary, which now provides a thorough account of his distinguished life and the frontier of Texas. (1983)"
Date: May 2, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Pioneer Memorial, Palo Pinto County

Description: Dedicated to the honor and memory of the Pioneers and Settlers of Palo Pinto County, unveiled 1957. 1857 -1957 Centennial.
Date: May 2, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries

Real Estate Office in Palo Pinto

Description: Real Estate Office in Palo Pinto on the corner of Oak and S. 5th Ave., on the courthouse square.
Date: May 2, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries

[Brown Stone Building]

Description: Photograph of a brown stone building in Mineral Wells, Texas. A road is visible in the foreground, and there is a red truck to the left.
Date: May 2, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries