Photographing Texas - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Shackelford County Courthouse

Description: The Shackelford County Courthouse, constructed in 1883 by architect J.E. Flanders.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries

Businesses around the square, Albany

Description: Photograph of businesses along the square in Albany, Texas. Pictured are Bright Sky Press and Lynch Line Books. The buildings are largely stone. Several cars are parked or driving by the businesses.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Veterans Memorial, Shackelford County

Description: Veterans Memorial, Albany. "Dedicated to the men who served in all wars and to those who gave their lives in service to our country."
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries

Memorial to Williams, Dyess, and Grantham

Description: Photograph of a memorial to Lt. General Robert Boyd Williams (1901-1977), Lt. Colonel William Edwin Dyess (1915-19430, and Rear Admiral Emery Arden Grantham (1914-1998) in Albany, Texas. Note: After consulting official records, it was determined that Rear Admiral Emery Arden Grantham's name is misspelled on the memorial. The proper spelling of his given name is Emery, not Emory as indicated on the memorial.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Historic Plaque, Lt. Col. William E. Dyess

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Albany, Texas. It reads: "Lt. Col. William E. Dyess, (August 9, 1916 - December 22, 1943) "A native of Albany, and a graduate of Albany HighSchool and John Tarleton Agricultural College, William Edwin Dyess was the son of Judge Richard T. and Hallie Graham Dyess. Trained as a pilot at Randolph Field, San Antonio, he led the 21st Pursuit Squadron of P-40s in the Phillipines, where he was when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor in December 1941 and the U.S. entered Word War II. Dyess' actions against invading Japanese forces at Subic Bay, despite few operational planes, and his later role as infantry commander earned him a reputation for bravery and resourcefulness. Dyess was among the men captured at the fall of Bataan on April 9, 1942 and forced into the grueling death march. He survived the malnutrition, disease and torture that resulted in the loss of thousands of his comrades. Almost a year after their capture he and 11 other men escaped and made their way through hostile territory. Dyess reported to the U. S. War Department and Gen. Douglas MacArthur on enemy actions. Through his personal accounts of Japanese atrocities in the Chicago Tribune, he influenced world opinion on wartime brutalities. Promoted to Lt. Colonel, Dyess returned to Albany in November 1943 after recuperation and made an appearance at the football field on his way to California. Weeks later, he died when the P-38 he piloted crashed at Burbank. His body was returned to his hometown for burial. His wife, Marajen, published The Dyess Story (1944), a book of his accounts, and Albany Playwright Robert E. Nail, Jr., wrote Men of Bataan (1943), an acclaimed play based on his exploits. Dyess Air Force Base at Abilene was named in honor of Albany's much-decorated ...
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Businesses around the square, Albany

Description: Photograph of businesses around the square in Albany, Texas. Pictured is Corriente Rope Co., next to the Blach Building.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Texas Cattle Trail Monument, Albany

Description: Monument to the Texas Cattle Trails, shaped like a longhorn. "Texas Cattle Trails to Dodge City, Kansas and other Northern points, 1875-1890."
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries

Monument to Ledbetter Salt Works

Description: Granite monument. "Ledbetter Salt Works C. S. A. Located 8 mi. southwest on Salt Prong. Hubbard Creek, discovered 1861 by trail drivers. W. H. Ledbetter began extensive development of deposits in 1862. With increased Civil War demand for salt, a large furnace was built, kettles and materials for refining were brought from East Texas by wagon. Salt in large quantities was furnished Confederate troops west of the Mississippi, State Militia, area ranches and towns. Smoking or salting were only ways to preserve meat. When South levied a meat tithe, salt vital to cure bacon for military"
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries

Historic Plaque, Hartfield Building

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Albany, Texas. It reads: "Hartfield Building. Charles A. Hartfield purchased the lot on this site in 1881. A noted area cook, he quickly established "Charley's Restaurant," which included a bakery and boardinghouse. Hartfield was so successful that he planned an elegant rock structure in which to house his business. Construction began in March 1884 amid a flurry of development in the area. Scottish stonemason Patrick McDonnell, who was responsible for much of the stonework on the new courthouse, was foreman for the Hartfield worksite. The project's scope proved too grand for Hartfield's finances, however, and in September of 1884 he sold the building to J. C. Lynch. Financially ruined, Hartfield was found dead within the year. Lynch sold his building in 1885 to three Albany businessmen: Max Blach, N. H. Burns and Sam Webb. Charles Hartfield's widow, Lettie Hartfield, joined them as an equal partner and the group completed the structure, probably using Charles Hartfield's original plans. The building was occupied over time by such businesses as a grocery, a general merchandise store, a bowling alley and an auto repair shop. The Albany Masonic Lodge began meeting in the structure as early as 1893, and it became known as "The Masonic Building" to local residents. Real Estate magnate L. H. Hill purchased the building in 1925, and the masonic lodge bought it in 1940. Damage from nesting bats caused part of the buildings limestone front to tumble into the street in 1954. The Masons took down the facade and rebuilt it with yellow brick. Sold again in 1996, the building was renovated and its facade reconstructed to reflect its former grandeur as one of Albany's finest early structures. (2000)"
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries

Historic Plaque, White Elephant Saloon (Blach Building)

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Albany, Texas. It reads: "White Elephant Saloon (Blach Building). The land on this site, Lot 9, Block 3 of the original town plat of Albany, was purchased in 1882 by noted local restauranteur Charles Hartfield. He planned to build a restaurant next door, and the pending establishment was much anticipated by local diners. Shortly before his death in 1884, Hartfield sold the lot to Alabama businessman Max Blach. Blach was vice-president of the Albany Water Company. He and partner N. H. Burns brought a system of running water to the town in 1884. Blach began construction on this one-story native stone structure in March 1884. The building was completed in April and leased to J. R. Davis, who put it to its most infamous use. The White Elephant Saloon opened for business on May 1, 1884. Among its instantly popular features was a white elephant display which was removed from the rooftop early in the establishments heyday. The perpetrators were believed to be citizens who disapproved of the saloon's raucous business. Despite its popularity, Davis announced his intent to close the saloon in February 1886. The Blach building soon was leased to W. M. Wigley, who operated a dry goods and furniture store on this site. Succeeding furniture businesses occupied the building for many years. Blach's heirs sold the structure to S. C. Coffee in 1919. Coffee sold it in 1923 to T. J. Crow, who conveyed it to Albany businessman L. H. Hill (1859-1932) in 1925. The structure was used for various purposes over the years: it was the home of the Albany News in the 1940s and was the workshop and office of a pipe organ maker in the 1950s and 1960s. The Hill family maintained ownership of the edifice until 1977. ...
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Blach Building, erected 1884, Albany

Description: Photograph of the Blach Building in Albany, Texas. The building is painted green, with red and white trim. There are two plaques to the right of the door that explain what the building is. The words "Shackelford County Tax Office" have been painted in both windows.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Blach Building, erected 1884, doorway detail

Description: Photograph of the doorway to the Blach Building in Albany, Texas. The building is painted green, with red and white trim. There are two plaques to the right of the door that explain what the building is. The words "Shackelford County Tax Office" have been painted in both windows, and papers have been taped into the doors. There is a wooden ceiling fan above the door.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Blach Building, erected 1884, Albany

Description: Photograph of the Blach Building, in Albany. It currently houses the Shackelford County Appraisal District. The front facade of the building is green with red and white trim. There is a historic marker to the right of the building.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Sinclair Gasoline building, Albany

Description: Sinclair Gasoline building, Albany. Sign says it is for sale or lease, this building has been restored to look like a old style gas station.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries

Jackson Warehouse, Albany

Description: Photograph of the Jackson Warehouse in Albany, Texas. It is a one story wooden building, with a car parked in front.
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Historic Plaque, Shackelford County

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Albany, Texas. It reads: "Shackelford County. First inhabited by nomadic Indian tribes, Shackelford County was created in 1858 and named for Dr. John Shackelford (1790-1857). The first permanent Anglo-American settlers in this area included J. C. Lynch (1828-1912), a native of Ireland who moved here in 1858; W. H. Ledbetter (1833-84), who arrived in 1859 and later started the Ledbetter Salt Works; T. E. Jackson (b.1820), a merchant who settled in the northern part of the county before 1860; and G. W. Greer (1812-93), who operated a stage station on Hubbard Creek after 1861. During the Civil War (1861-1865), settlers took refuge at "family forts" such as Fort Mugginsville and Fort Hubbard. They gained military protection from frontier perils when the U. S. Army established Fort Griffin in 1867. Griffin, the lawless settlement that grew up around the Fort, attracted buffalo hide hunters and cattlemen driving herds up the western cattle trail. Shackelford County was organized Sept. 12, 1874, with Fort Griffin as temporary county seat. Albany was chosen permanent county seat in Nov. 1874. The county's population increased sharply after the arrival of the Texas Central Railroad in 1881. Petroleum production generated an economic boom, 1910-30. Chief industries today (1976) are petroleum and ranching. (1976)"
Date: April 14, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

[Rock by Courthouse]

Description: Photograph of a rock, with the words "This rock pulled the tower clock in Albany for over 53 years. Wgt. 360 lb's", in front of a building in Albany, Texas.
Date: unknown
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries