Photographing Texas - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Photograph of oak tree.

Description: Photograph of an oak tree trunk.
Date: August 28, 2016
Creator: Phillips, Mark Edward
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries Digital Projects Unit

Confederate Monument

Description: Photograph of the Confederate Veterans' Memorial Statue on the southwest Courthouse lawn in downtown Paris, Texas.
Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell

Downtown Denton Fire

Description: Photograph of a burnt down building in Denton. In 1994, a fire started at the southwest corner of the Square, which was caused by faulty wiring in a hot water system.
Date: September 22, 1994
Creator: Bono, Deborah
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Denton Public Library

Texas Woman's University protest

Description: Image of the "Texas Woman's University" sign on a bridge on campus. Students had been protesting integration of the campus by men, and the sign has been defaced to read "Texas Man's University."
Date: December 13, 1994
Creator: Bono, Deborah
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Denton Public Library

Downtown Denton Fire

Description: Photograph of a burnt down building in Denton. In 1994, a fire started at the southwest corner of the Square, which was caused by faulty wiring in a hot water system.
Date: September 22, 1994
Creator: Bono, Deborah
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Denton Public Library

Downtown Denton Fire

Description: Photograph of a burnt down building in Denton. In 1994, a fire started at the southwest corner of the Square, which was caused by faulty wiring in a hot water system.
Date: September 22, 1994
Creator: Bono, Deborah
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Denton Public Library

Downtown Denton Fire

Description: Photograph of a burnt down building in Denton. In 1994, a fire started at the southwest corner of the Square, which was caused by faulty wiring in a hot water system.
Date: September 22, 1994
Creator: Bono, Deborah
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: Denton Public Library

Kinky Friedman at UNT

Description: Photograph of Kinky Friedman, who appeared at the University of North Texas while he was campaigning for Texas Governor in 2006. This was a private talk with faculty and staff before he appeared in the University Union Lyceum.
Date: September 29, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Kinky Friedman at UNT

Description: Photograph of Kinky Friedman, who appeared at the University of North Texas while he was campaigning for Texas Governor in 2006. This was a private talk with faculty and staff before he appeared in the University Union Lyceum.
Date: September 29, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Historic plaque, Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Cameron, Texas. It reads: "Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg (December 30, 1868 - November 15, 1946). Pioneer leader of Texas women in rural club work. While serving as principal of a school near Milano, Mrs. Trigg was asked by the United States Department of Agriculture in 1911 to supervise Texas' first Girls' Tomato Club. Her role included organization, teaching, and experimentation. In Aug. 1912, her clubs showed canned products at Milano Fair -- the state's first exhibit of this kind, and a great success. In 1913-14, she worked in Childress and Milam counties, holding canning schools financed by local groups and the U. S. Department of Agriculture. After enactment of national and state legislation (1914-1915) established the Agricultural Extension Service at land grant colleges, Mrs. Trigg became (in 1916) the first county home demonstration agent in Texas. Stationed in Denton, she also served on staff of the College of Industrial Arts (now Texas Woman's University), overseeing courses in methods for home demonstration work, assuring its professionalism. Edna Trigg was a native of Milam County, daughter of Ervin and Rachel Walker Westbrook. She married (in 1892) Charles Letman Trigg, and was mother of Charles Westbrook Trigg and Eloise Trigg (later Mrs. Johnson). Mrs. Trigg is buried in I. O. O. F. Cemetery, Denton."
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Building in Milam County

Description: Photograph of a building in Milam County. It was formerly a bank, and is now an attorneys office in Cameron. The building is white, with red doors and windows. Several columns support the overhang over to the front entrance.
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries

Milam County 1895 Jail and County Museum

Description: Photograph looking up at the Milam County Museum and 1895 Jail house, built by Pauly Jail Building & Manufacturing Company.
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Historic plaque, Milam County Jail of 1895

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Cameron, Texas. It reads: "Milam County Jail of 1895. When the 1875 Milam County Jailhouse grew too crowded in the 1890s, it was removed to make room for larger facilities. In March 1895, the Milam County Commissioners awarded a contract to the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, Missouri, for the construction of a larger prison. The company furnished all supplies, including St. Louis pressed bricks. County Judge Sam Streetman, who later served on the Texas Supreme Court, approved the contract, although he had preferred the use of local building materials. This structure, designed with Romanesque revival features and stone detailing above the windows, had three main floors and a "hanging tower" equipped with a trap door. The tower was never used for executions because most hangings took place outdoors. The first floor had ten rooms, three for storage and the remainder serving as a residence for the sheriff and his family. The second and third stories consisted of cell blocks for prisoners. In 1975 a new county jail was constructed, and the Commissioners Court turned this facility over to the Milam County Historical Commission. After renovation, it was opened as a museum in 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978"
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Milam County Peace Officers Memorial

Description: The Milam County Peace Officers' Memorial, the Sheriffs of Milam County. The county courthouse is in the background.
Date: October 8, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Partner: UNT Libraries