Photographing Texas - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Fulton Firearms, Hamilton

Description: Photograph of the Fulton Firearms shop in Hamilton. There are many cars parked in front of the store, and a street light in front of the right window.
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Hamilton County Courthouse, detail

Description: Photograph of the windows at the Hamilton County Courthouse. It was constructed in 1886, by architects Mason, Martin, Byrnes and Johnston. A 1931 remodel removed the clock tower and Second Empire style mansard roof.
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Historic Plaque, Elise Waerekskjold

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Hamilton, Texas. It reads: "Elise Waerekskjold, (Home 3 blocks W; Grave 6 Blocks NW). Influential early promoter of Norwegian Emigration to Texas: Born Elise Tvede in 1815. In 1846, after John Reiersen migrated to Texas to found the first Norwegian settlement in the state, she became editor of his periodical "Norway and Texas". Through her articles, many were inspired to move here. In 1847 she, too, moved to Texas, and resided in both Van Zandt County and Hamilton County. She married Wilhelm Waerenskjold. Often they welcomed grateful newcomers into their home. Here she helped preserve the history of her people. Died 1895. (1968)"
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Ann Whitney Memorial

Description: Photograph of a memorial for Ann Whitney. It says, "In Memory of Ann Whitney. Born in Massachusetts about 1835, massacred by Comanche Indians, July 9, 1867 while protecting her pupils. Miss Whitney's grave is located 5 blocks north in the Graves-Gentry Cemetery. School was located 7 miles northeast of Hamilton on the Juan de la Garza Survey. Sponsored by Hamilton Kiwanis Club, 1858. Donated by Riley-Gardner Memorial Service Co.
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Historic Plaque, Hamilton County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of a historic marker. It reads: "Hamilton County Courthouse. Before era of this impressive courthouse, Hamilton County's government was housed in stores, a rustic school, a former livery stable, a 2-story building with top floor especially designed for a courtroom, and briefly in a saloon. Fire razed two of the early improvised courthouses. First permanent one built in 1878, also burned in 1886. In those days outlaws were so numerous that guards were hired to protect visiting judges. This 1887 structure of native limestone, quarried 2 miles east of Hamilton, remained unchanged until it was remodeled in 1931. (1970)"
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Hamilton County Courthouse

Description: Photograph of the Hamilton County Courthouse. It was constructed in 1886, by architects Mason, Martin, Byrnes and Johnston. A 1931 remodel removed the clock tower and Second Empire style mansard roof.
Date: March 1, 2006
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries