Photographing Texas - 1,597 Matching Results

Search Results

Runnels County Courthouse, plaque

Description: "Runnels County Courthouse, constructed here 1888-89, after hotly-contested battle with Runnels City for County Seat. (County had been organized 1880.) Structures stands on one of the largest courthouse squares in Texas - 2 city blocks. Plot set aside prior to town lot sale by Sante Fe Railroad, June 29, 1886. In 1941, extensive remodeling modernized building. Two wings were added and old quarry (South of town on Colorado River) was opened to provide matching stone. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967."
Date: August 1, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Partner: UNT Libraries

Charles H. Noyes Monument, Runnels County, rear plaque

Description: Photograph of a plaque at the rear of the Charles H. Noyes monument. It says, "Erected in memory of Chas. H. Noyes by his parents, Lula and Gus Noyes. Chas. H. Noyes. Born in Texas December 30, 1895. Died from an accidental fall with his horse at his father's ranch in Concho County, Texas, February 11, 1917. Gone from us but not forgotten. Never shall thy memory fade, sweetest thoughts shall ever linger around the spot where thou art laid. Is death an eternal sleep or shall we meet again?"
Date: August 1, 2005
Partner: UNT Libraries

Charles H. Noyes Monument, Runnels County, plaque

Description: Photograph of the Charles H. Noyes monument plaque, located on the Runnels County Courthouse grounds. It says, "Charles H. Noyes (1896-1917). Charles H. Noyes, 21, died when his horse fell while rounding up cattle on the Noyes Ranch. His father and mother, Gus and Lula Noyes, erected monument in 1919 as a tribute to their son and all Texas cowboys. Pompeo Coppin of Chicago studied horses two years before sculpting statue."
Date: August 1, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Partner: UNT Libraries

Historic Plaque, Balinger

Description: Photograph of a historic plaque. It reads: "Ballinger originally called Hutchins City. Promoted by Sante Fe Rwy. Named for Judge William Pitt Ballinger (1825-1888), railroad attorney and townsite official. Distinguished Texas Statesman, Veteran of the Mexican War. In the Civil War helped establish defenses of Galveston, served as Confederate receiver of enemy aliens' property, was sent to negotiate peace for Texas. Ballinger is County Seat, and farm-ranch center. INdustries include dairying, meat products, leather goods manufacturing. Has annual rodeo, livestock and quarterhorse shows. (1965)"
Date: August 1, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Dr. Pepper Museum in Dublin

Description: Photograph of the Dublin Dr. Pepper Museum and Old Doc's Soda Shop in Dublin, TX. In front of the building is a statue, "Sweet Inspirations" depicting the plant's owner, Bill Kloster -- "Mr. Dr Pepper" -- offering a bottle of Dr. Pepper to a little girl.
Date: August 1, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Location Info:
Partner: UNT Libraries

Old Cora Courthouse, Historic Plaque

Description: Old Cora Courthouse. Soon after the creation of Comanche County in 1856, the town of Cora (10 Mi. SE) was platted to serve as the county seat. The courthouse in Cora, typical of many early Texas Courthouses, was a 12'7" x 12'10", one room, squared log structure. It served the county until the seat of government was moved to Comanche in 1859. The "Old Cora" courthouse was incorporated into a house built about 1880 and has been moved several times over the years. It stands as a reminder of the now-extinct town of Cora and of early Texas Courthouse architecure.
Date: August 1, 2005
Creator: Belden, Dreanna L.
Partner: UNT Libraries