Collections - All
This colorful panorama covers the founding of Mineral Wells through its mercurial growth as a resort center and army town up to the present. A. F. Weaver was a photographer and local historian, and the collection includes photographs that he took as well as photographs he copied from local families and established research sources.Added: January 2009.
Aubrey Area Photographs feature the private collection of Bouncer Goin. He, his mother, and grandmother collected local history materials from their hometown of Aubrey, Texas. Materials include a 1918 Aubrey High School Yearbook; family photos; and images of local churches, businesses, and the tornado of April 1918.Added: May 2009.
This collection contains editions of The Pickwicker and The Shinnery Review, student-led literary magazines that include original short stories, essays, poems, artwork, and other creative works. The Pickwicker was published at Abilene Christian University between 1930 and 1990 and The Shinnery Review has been published since 1995.Added: May 2014.
Abilene Christian University presents its collection of 78 sermon charts, bed sheets hand painted with text and/or artwork used as a visual aid to a preacher's sermon. This collection dates from the 1900's to the 1970's.Added: May 2014.
The Abilene Christian University Yearbooks collection features issues of the Prickly Pear from 1916 through 2007, and include text and photographs about students, professors, sports, and organizations. Notable alumni include Texas Supreme Court Chief Justice Jack Pope, Olympic sprinter Bobby Morrow, Pulitzer prize winning photographer David Leeson, and inspirational author Max Lucado.Added: March 2009.
The Abilene Library Consortium (ALC) is a regional nonprofit organization in Abilene, Texas, that provides support and resources to libraries, museums, and information organizations. The ALC collection features thousands of photos, print materials, maps, newspapers, and much more.Added: March 2012.
The Abilene Photograph Collection consists of over 10,000 images that range from the early twentieth century to the present. The collection has a delightful assortment of images of community members, homes, businesses, churches and ranches. The collection details Abilene's rich history, capturing a multitude of public events in Abilene and surrounding areas.Added: November 2009.
The Abilene Reporter is a daily newspaper that was founded by Charles Edwin Gilbert. The newspaper began publishing three months after the city of Abilene was founded in 1881. This collection consists of over 7,200 issues dating between 1888 and 1923.Added: May 2014.
The San Antonio Public Library presents its collection of African American funeral programs. The collection consists of over 1,000 programs that date from 1935 to present day and depicts the African American community in Bexar County.Added: July 2012.
The African American Newspaper Collection represents a broad survey of historic newspapers written for and published by African Americans. These newspapers provide a record of the culture, daily life, and history of the community, across the United States.Added: November 2014.
The Age is a monthly publication reporting current events of the Chambers County Historical Commission, the Wallisville Heritage Park, and County Historical and Genealogical Societies. The paper was established in Houston in 1871 by D. L. McGary and moved to Wallisville in 1897. It was discontinued in 1908 and then reestablished by the Wallisville Heritage Park in 1979.Added: May 2014.
This collection from the Weslaco Museum features photographs from Weslaco's annual "Birthday Party" fashion show, which debuted in 1929. Organized by the Chamber of Commerce to highlight the fruit and vegetables grown in the Rio Grande Valley, area citizens created and modeled clothing made from local fruit, vegetables, and flowers. Area organizations, individuals, and women's clubs would donate hundreds of hours to create these agricultural and fashion wonders.Added: August 2009.
The Albany News, located in the small West Texas town of Albany in Shackelford County, was established as the Frontier Echo in Jacksboro (Young County) in 1875 by H.H. McConnell. Captain George W. Robson bought the Echo in 1878 and relocated to Fort Griffin in nearby Shackelford County.Added: April 2014.
The Stella Hill Memorial Library presents its collection of the weekly newspaper, The Alto Herald. The issues presented cover the period from 1909-1966. Hard copies and microfilm have long been a favorite research source, but digitization, funded by the Tocker Foundation, will make the material more readily available to the public.Added: February 2012.
Prohibitionists William A. Askew, Robert E. Underwood, and Jonathan W. Crudgington purchased the Amarillo Evening American. Renamed the Amarillo Daily News, the newspaper lobbied against the “licensed saloon and its attendant evils” exemplified by Amarillo’s notorious Bowery District, which was filled with bars, brothels, and violent crime.Added: August 2013.
The American Lumberman Photograph collection contains 255 scanned gelatin silver prints made by American Lumberman photographers during visits to Diboll in 1903 and 1907, documenting the lumber companyâ€™s management, logging operations, Texas South-Eastern Railroad, timber, lumber camps, sawmills, commissary, and social life.Added: March 2012.
The Archer County Newspaper Collection has been added to The Portal to Texas History through the work of the Archer Public Library. Known as the "Short Grass Ranching Capital of the U.S.," Archer County is a center of the ranching and oil industries.Added: August 2015.
The Arlington Public Library and Fielder House present their collection of items depicting the Arlington Police Department from the early 1900's to present day. The collection contains legal documents, clippings, and over 290 photographs of various people, places, and activities concerning the department.Added: May 2012.
UNT Libraries present Art Lies, a journal that examines contemporary art production, practice and theory in Texas. Published twice annually, the journal contains essays, commentaries, and exhibition information concerning artwork and current issues.Added: July 2012.
The Stonewall County Library presents The Aspermont Star, a weekly newspaper dating from March 10, 1911 to February 15, 1979, covering local, national and world news. The collection consists of all 2,318 newspaper issues held at Stonewall County Library.Added: November 2010.
Presented by the Atlanta Public Library, the Atlanta Citizens Journal is a weekly newspaper first published in 1879 by John Fletcher in Linden, Texas. It was moved from Linden to Atlanta, TX in 1883. The paper features local, state, and national news as well as extensive advertising.Added: May 2014.
The Austin College Yearbook has been called The Chromascope since its first appearance in 1899. This collection extends from 1899 through 1950 with the exception of 1918 when there was no yearbook published. From 1931 through 1933, the yearbook was entitled, The Chromascope and The Key, in recognition a relationship between Austin College and Kidd-Key College and Conservatory. Contained within these yearbooks are photos and information chronicling the school, student body, professors, administration, and student organizations.Added: November 2010.
The Austin History Center at the Austin Public Library presents images from General Collection Photographs (also called the Austin Files) that depict the city of Austin, Texas from the 1830s to the 1970s. The photographs include a wide range of subjects, from images of the Texas State Capitol and Barton Springs, to aerial views, cityscapes, and much more.Added: May 2012.
The Moses and Stephen F. Austin Papers consist primarily of the personal and official records of Moses Austin (1761-1821), and his son Stephen F. Austin (1793-1836) who carried out his father's plan for the Anglo colonization of Mexican Texas. Included is material related to the history and early peregrinations of the Austin family, especially their years in Missouri; their business activities, including the lead mines, store and banking investments; the pursuit of both men for permission to colonize and Stephen F. Austin's management of the resulting colony; the events leading up to the Texas Revolution and then the Revolution itself; and the first few months of the Republic of Texas. There is also a small cache of later family correspondence on historical topics.Added: May 2012.
At the Democratic State Convention in January 1871, delegates decided that Austin needed a Democratic newspaper to compete with the two Republican papers already in circulation. A committee, led by Alexander Stuart Walker, was tasked with working out details for a Democratic paper.Added: November 2012.
The Atlanta Public Library presents the Cass County and Atlanta Newspaper Collection including the Cass County Sun, the Citizens Journal, the Atlanta News, the Atlanta Times, and the Paper. The collection's publications provided news, entertainment, and advertising to the residents of Cass County for over 100 years.Added: September 2013.
Presented by UNT Libraries, the Lubbock Avalanche Collection spans 1908-1922, representing the growth of Lubbock, Texas, as the Hub City of West Texas. These weekly newspapers include local, state, and national news as well as advertising.Added: March 2013.
Serving the county seat of Bandera County, the Bandera Bulletin began publication in 1945. Early Serving the county seat of Bandera County, the Bandera Bulletin began publication in 1945, documenting the area's history, including major flooding events from the Medina River, as well as population booms in the 1960s-1970s. settlement began with Polish settlers in Bandera County in 1853. The Bandera Public Library received a Tocker Foundation grant to include the Bulletin on The Portal to Texas History.Added: May 2016.
The Bartlett Tribune collection covers the years 1902 - 1972. The Bartlett Tribune began publication in 1886, and served a vital role in the community by reporting on national, state, and local news, publishing obituaries, and creating a record of legal notices for the area.Added: September 2009.
The first edition of The Bastrop Advertiser and County News, now The Bastrop Advertiser, was published on March 1, 1853, giving it claim to being the oldest continuously published weekly (semi-weekly since Sept. 5, 1977) in Texas. Available on The Portal to Texas History is the Bastrop Advertiser from 1854 to 1954.Added: February 2012.
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department presents the Battleship Texas State Historic Site Photograph Collection depicting the evolution of the ship’s technology and appearance over time, how she contributed to the war effort in both World Wars, and what life was like for the men who served on the ship.Added: January 2015.
Baylor County, in North Central Texas, was formally organized in 1879 with Seymour as its county seat. The Baylor County Banner printed its first edition in 1895, following the previously established newspapers, the Monitor and the News. The Banner continues to be published weekly today, providing the residents of Seymour, Texas with local, state, and national news. The Baylor County Banner has been digitized through the support of a Tocker Foundation grant, in collaboration with the Baylor County Free Library.Added: June 2014.
The Bell County Democrat, presented by the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, represents late-19th and early-20th century life in central Texas. The semi-weekly paper features local, state, and national news as well as advertising.Added: August 2012.
Presented by the Bellaire Historical Society, these weekly newspapers from Houston, Texas include news and information of interest to residents of West University Place, Bellaire, Southside Place, Braeswood, Southampton, Southgate and adjacent areas along with extensive advertising.Added: May 2014.
Founded on July 28th, 1860, the Bellville Countryman was a semi-weekly newspaper published by W.S. Thayer and edited by John P. Osterhout, and it served the populations of Bellville and Austin, Texas. Its motto was, "Independent in All Things - Neutral in None."Added: October 2011.
The Belton Independent was a weekly newspaper published in Belton, Texas that discussed local, state, and national news along with advertising. Known as a Whig newspaper, it was the first paper in Bell County; it openly opposed succession and strongly supported Sam Houston.Added: May 2012.
The Belton Journal has been published weekly since 1866 and represents a population of over 18,000 people. Digital access of the Belton Journal was generously supported by the Texas State Library and Archives Commission under a TexTreasures grant.Added: August 2012.
More than 250 photos document the history of Bergstrom Air Force Base from its early days in the 1940s when it was known as Del Valle Army Air Base to its closure and transformation into Austin’s municipal airport in the 1990s. There are portraits of officers, group portraits of aircrew classes, candid scenes, views of buildings and facilities, aerial views, and photos of visiting dignitaries such as Queen Elizabeth II and President Nixon.Added: March 2014.
The Big Lake Wildcat was established in 1925 to serve the residents of Big Lake and Reagan County. The Wildcat was one of several newspapers founded in the early days of Reagan County including The Big Lake Sentinel, The Big Lake Crony, The Stiles Journal, The Big Lake News and the Oil Review. The Wildcat, during those early years, absorbed most of those newspaper and in September, 1931 when the Big Lake Sentinel closed its doors, it became the only newspaper in Reagan County.Added: June 2015.
The Bill and Marcella Bradly Collection consists of large format negatives donated by the Bradly family to the Deaf Smith County Public Library. Photographer Bill Bradly documented the people and businesses of the area and created preservation negatives of historic photographs. This photographic collection richly illustrates Texas's cattle and farming tradition. This project is supported in part by Humanities Texas, the state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities.Added: May 2009.
The Nettie Lee Benson Latin American Collection at the University of Texas, Austin contributed materials for the collaborative digital collection Lorenzo de Zavala Online: Empresario, Statesman, and Texas Revolutionary. Materials include correspondence or writings from Lorenzo de Zavala, Jose Antonio Mexia, Valentin Gomez Farias, Crescencio Rejon, General Adrian Woll, Baradere, de Valle, Gomez Pedraza, Vicente Filisola, and Carlos Maria Bustamente. This project is supported in part by Humanities Texas, the state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities.Added: May 2009.
With origins in Germany, Hungary, Russia, Italy, and Denmark this collection of banknotes, vouchers, and coupons from 1915 to 1925 came from the tumultuous times of World War I and its aftermath. Many of the items are intricately illustrated with vivid colors and images. This collection is presented by the Howard Payne University Library.Added: May 2014.
After the discovery of oil in the West Texas town, Borger quickly established itself as a boomtown, attracting oil men, prospectors, gamblers and bootleggers. Hutchinson County Library presents its collection of the Borger Daily Herald newspaper that documents the rapid growth and activity of Borger and the surrounding area, 1927-1941.Added: October 2011.
The Bosque County Historical Commision presents its collection of glass plate negatives relating to Bosque County history. The collection consists of over 50 glass plate negatives that include images of parade floats, families, the Bosque River Flood, and agriculture.Added: March 2012.
In 1916, Mildred Paxton, Raymond Foy and Horace Blackwell initiated and promoted the idea of a weekly student paper at Hardin-Simmons University. The Brand began weekly publication on October 13, 1916. Foy and Blackwell sold advertising to support the project. The class of 1917 donated a printing press to the college for Brand use. This collection features issues from 1916-1989.Added: June 2010.
The Breckenridge Public Library in Stephens County presents the Breckenridge Daily American newspaper, 1922-1940. The Breckenridge Daily American with its sensational headlines kept the town of Breckenridge informed of international and national events as well as local news and gossip. The newspaper documents Breckenridge's thriving development and commerce during the twentieth century. Other newspapers from the Breckenridge Public Library are the Breckenridge Weekly Democrat (1926-1933), the Stephens County Sun (1933-1940), and the junior and senior high school newspaper published by the journalism students, The Dynamo (1932-1939).Added: January 2010.
The Breckenridge Public Library in Stephens County presents the Breckenridge Weekly Democrat . This paper, established around 1899 by E. W. Davenport, was published by Breckenridge American Pub. Co. - also the publisher of the Breckenridge [Daily] American. Similar to the Breckenridge [Daily] American , the Weekly Democrat served up sensational headlines but on a weekly basis. This is one of five newspapers from the Breckenridge Public Library, the others being: The Breckenridge [Daily] American, the Stephens County Sun, the Stephens County Times, and The Dynamo.Added: September 2010.
The Brenham Weekly Banner, a newspaper opposed to the Civil War Reconstruction, was edited by "Colonel" John G. Rankin, a veteran of the Confederate Army. The paper ran from 1877 to 1907. By 1897, it circulated every Thursday to over 1,300 readers. At that time, the paper spanned eight pages, each 15 by 22 inches, at the same subscription rate. In 1907, Rankin suspended the Brenham Weekly Banner, which was succeeded by the weekly Brenham Banner; all the while he oversaw the Brenham Daily Banner as well. Six years later, in 1913, the various editions of the Banner merged with the Brenham Daily Press, an arrangement that continues to the present.Added: September 2010.
Will Mayes began publishing the Brownwood Bulletin as a daily in 1900 after purchasing the two 19th century weeklies, the Brownwood Banner and the Brownwood Bulletin. The paper continues to serve Brownwood, Texas to this day. The collection is presented by Howard Payne University.Added: August 2014.
Building the African-American Community is a collection of photographs and texts largely from the Jacob Fontaine Religious Museum, a museum dedicated to preserving Austin’s African-American cultural history. The museum was named for Jacob Fontaine, who was born a slave in 1808 and served the community as a minister. He established several churches, a newspaper (the Gold Dollar), taught school, and established a grocery store and laundry. The collection includes photographs of church parishioners, families, students, weddings, church groups, and more from Austin’s African-American community.Added: May 2014.
The history of newspaper publishing in Burleson begins almost as early as the city of Burleson. Sometime in 1900, Burleson businessman E.M. “Good Roads” Wilson (1872-1956) began publishing The Burleson News. In 1932 Wilson sold the paper to Robert Garland Knox Deering and John Searcy. In 1958, the newspaper became The Burleson Dispatcher, and the final edition was printed on September 25, 1985. The Burleson Star began publication in October of 1965 with Al White as publisher, who was also the publisher of the Johnson County News in Cleburne.Added: July 2016.
Four generations of photographers – all named Byrd Williams – documented more than 100 years of North Texas history with their work. Now, the UNT Libraries have acquired their collection, consisting of over 10,000 prints and 300,000 negatives. The materials include commercial and studio photography, western landscapes, documentary studies, and fine art photography. Family correspondence, artifacts, and a collection of cameras were also donated by Byrd Williams IV.Added: June 2014.
The Clyde Barrow Gang Collection comes from our partners at the Dallas Municipal Archives. View photos of Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, along with numerous mug shots, fingerprint cards, wanted notices, and images of their bullet-ridden car.Added: February 2010.
During the Great Depression Connie Ford McCann served as a company clerk for two six-month tours in the Civilian Conservation Corps. This collection, presented by the UNT Archives, features his diary, documents, and photographs from his year with the CCC.Added: May 2014.
The Harrie P. Woodson Library presents the Caldwell News-Chronicle, the Caldwell News and the Burleson County Ledger covering the years 1897 to 1955. The weekly newspaper documents the development of Burleson County's farming and oil industries as well as local events and people.Added: August 2011.
The Dolph Briscoe Center for American History presents The Cameron Herald, a weekly newspaper published in Cameron, Milam County, Texas. The community was formed in 1846, named after Ewen Cameron, a Scottish highlander who participated in the Texas Revolution and was a member of the Mier Expedition during the war with Mexico. This weekly newspaper includes local, state, and national news as well as advertising.Added: May 2014.
Located eleven miles southwest of Abilene, Texas, near the current Dyess Air Force Base, Camp Barkeley was one of the largest U.S. military instillations in the state. Named for decorated World War I veteran and native Texan David B. Barkley, construction of the camp began in 1940, with operations beginning there in 1941. During its occupation, a variety of newspapers published by personnel provided news and information to the soldiers and their families stationed there.Added: March 2015.
This collection of photographs documents Camp Bowie, Texas. It shows troops at Camp Bowie, in Ft. Worth during WWI, and also troops, tents, and aerial views of Camp Bowie, in Brownwood during WWII. The Brown County Museum of History in Brownwood, Texas, houses these photographs.Added: September 2015.
The Canadian Advertiser was published from 1938-1939 by Othello Ontje Miller, and was suceeded by the Hemphill County News when the Advertiser ceased publication in 1939. The sole owners of the newspaper were husband and wife, Othello and Elna Miller. He was the publisher and editor and she was in charge of the reporting and advertising.Added: September 2009.
UNT Libraries present Canyon City News, a weekly newspaper published in Canyon City, Randall County, Texas. The newspaper began as the Canyon City Stayer in 1896 and primarily covered stock raising. It was bought by attorney George A. Brandon in 1903 and renamed Canyon City News. The newspaper included local, state, and national news as well as advertising and items promoting the community. In 1908 the paper was sold to Charles O. Keiser and the paper was renamed the Randall County News.Added: May 2014.
The Witte Museum's Carpa Cubana and Sabino Gomez Photograph Collection documents the Mexican American tent shows that traveled Mexico and the Southwestern United States. Active from around 1910 until the 1940s, the "carpas" combined traditional circus acts such as acrobats and clowns with theatrical performances such as singing, dancing, and comedy routines.Added: February 2012.
Presented by the Carrollton Public Library the Carrollton Chronicle was the newspaper of record for a small town during much of the 20th century. The town square was platted in 1900 with the newspaper being one of the earliest businesses to open. It provided a weekly history of a town which grew from 500 people in 1900 to nearly 90,000 in the early 1990’s.Added: December 2014.
The Charles and Catherine Schulze Collection at the Irving Archives features photographs donated by Charles Schulze Jr. and his wife, Catherine. Charles Schulze Jr. was the nephew of J. O. Schulze, a co-founder of Irving. The photographs include images of Irving at the turn of the century, as well as many images taken by the Chicago Rock Island railroad survey crew as they traveled throughout the south. J. O. Schulze, Charles Schulze Sr., and Otis Brown figure prominently in these photos, but, unfortunately, other members of the crew are unidentified.Added: May 2009.
The Cechoslovak and Weske Noviny newspaper was a Czech language paper that served the growing Czech communities in Rosenberg and West, Texas from 1918 to 1945. Presented by the University of Texas at San Antonio, the weekly paper featured local, state, national, and world news as well as advertising.Added: May 2014.
The Cedar Hill Newspaper Collection is a selection of weekly newspapers from Cedar Hill and Duncanville in Dallas and Ellis Counties featured by the Zula B. Wylie Memorial Library. The newspapers include local, state, and national news as well as advertisements.Added: May 2014.
The photographic archives of the Ellison Photo Company were donated to the Austin History Center by Russell Chalberg, on December 9th, 1969. In 1981, an additional 1,277 prints and glass-plate negatives from the Jordan-Ellison Company were donated.Added: March 2011.
In what is now northern Cherokee County, the town of Jacksonville began in 1847 on the east bank of Gum Creek. Jackson Smith built a house and blacksmith shop in the area and became postmaster. By 1850 Smith had the town site and square surveyed near his home and because it was on his land and because William Jackson was one of the first to build there the citizens of the town named it Jacksonville. The Cherokee County Banner began publishing weekly in the late 1800's and served Jacksonville and other towns in the county. It is presented courtesy of the Jacksonville Public Library.Added: October 2014.
The Cherokee County Historical Commission presents a collection of photographs depicting people, families, and businesses in Rusk, Jacksonville, and surrounding towns in Cherokee County.Added: May 2014.
This collection includes city directories, business directories, legal directories, and phone directories from the late nineteenth and the twentieth centuries. Each directory has an index and many advertisements from local businesses. The city directories generally include names, addresses, and telephone numbers for residents and businesses. Many of the directories include advertisements.Added: September 2009.
Civil War and its Aftermath: Diverse Perspectives consists of eight archival collections reflecting the experiences of women, professional men, military men, Texas cattlemen, businessmen, farmers, and government officials, from different parts of the country, with different political views and experiences. Altogether, these Civil War and Reconstruction-era papers include information about events in Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Washington D.C. They reflect the experiences of women, professional men, military men, Texas cattlemen, businessmen, farmers, and government officials, from different parts of the country, with different political views and experiences. The project was generously funded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.Added: August 2011.
The Civilian and Gazette (Galveston) collection represents a series of newspapers whose publication began in June of 1838 and continued under various names until 1886, with missing publications between 1862 and 1865, due to Civil War conflicts.Added: October 2011.
Joe and Junebug Clark's photography is a seminal work of visual storytelling, representing one of the most extensive family archives from the golden age of American photography. The Clark's work has been featured in Life Magazine, National Geographic, Look and Newsweek.Added: May 2014.
The Richard S. and Leah Morris Memorial Library presents the Claude News, "The Oldest and Best Read County Seat Weekly in the Panhandle". Claude is the seat of Armstrong County and the paper's issues start at the turn of the 20th-century and move up to 1965.Added: December 2013.
Founded in 1876 on Hords Creek in West Central Texas, Coleman is the county seat to a region devoted to large scale farming and ranching, oil and natural gas production, and varied industries. The 2013 population of the county was 8,543, which includes the communities of Coleman, Santa Anna, Novice, and seven smaller unincorporated communities. Local newspaper service has been continuously provided from 1908 to the present by the Coleman Voice, Coleman Democrat Voice, Coleman Daily Voice, Coleman County Chronicle, and the Coleman Chronicle & Democrat Voice.Added: April 2016.
The Daniel Baker College began as a small Presbyterian school, established in 1889 in Brownwood, Texas. The Collegian newspapers are a treasure of information about campus life and personalities, as well as a reflection of the values and way of life at a small college in the first half of the twentieth century. This collection features issues dated from 1923 - 1950.Added: July 2010.
The Collin County Genealogical Society contributes past issues of its serial publication Collin Chronicles that features county history, society members' family information, newspaper and primary source abstractions, queries, and cemetery information.Added: March 2011.
Digitized through support of a Rescuing Texas History 2013 grant, The Colony Newspaper Collection represents the history of The Colony, Texas. The municipality began in 1969 with the planned development of a new city modeled after the city of Dallas and consisted primarily of single family homes.Added: March 2014.
The Community Bulletin is a weekly newspaper, 1967-1968, that reported on church and community events, civil rights, political races, educational changes, and the job market. A regular feature highlights famous African Americans in history and includes excerpts of African American poetry. The bulletin is a unique document of the time that describes crushing economic contrasts, the inequity of segregation and desegregation. Howard and Clara Caver started the Community Bulletin: Another Voice is heard in 1967 as a service to the community of black churches in Abilene, Texas.Added: May 2009.
The Concordia University Texas Library presents materials documenting the early history of Lutheran Concordia College, including faculty minutes and correspondence between the school's Board of Control and the national Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod leadership describing the campus development. Correspondence features discussion with architects and contractors regarding building construction and repairs; school funding and maintenance; and other topics. Funding for this collection was provided in part by the Texas State Library and Archives Commission through the TexTreasures program.Added: March 2015.
The Congressional Globe is a record of the congressional debates from the Twenty-Third U.S. Congress in 1833 through the Forty-Second U.S. Congress in 1873. The Globe provides summaries of congressional debates in the early volumes, but in 1851 it started to provide more complete record of the debates. It is preceded by the Annals of Congress and the Register of Debates and succeeded by the Congressional Record.Added: January 2011.
The Montgomery County Memorial Library presents the Conroe Courier, a weekly newspaper "Published in the interest of Conroe and Montgomery County". The paper was founded by 1896 by H. P. Jones and featured local, state, and national news as well as advertising.Added: May 2014.
When Fort Hood became a large regional employer, the Copperas Cove population grew exponentially, well into the twenty-first century. The Copperas Cove Leader Press originates from two titles, the Leader and the Press, both established in the late 1970s, and it has documented the growth of this crossroads community in Texas.Added: May 2016.
The Corral is the first student publication of Hardin-Simmons University beginning in 1902 and continuing to the present time. Once the Brand began publication in 1916, the Corral was dedicated to literary offerings. Beginning in the 1960's art submissions, including drawings, paintings, and photographs were included in the Corral. The significance of this publication is both a history of the university and a record of creative efforts of the university's students.Added: July 2010.
The Crosby County Library presents The Crosbyton Review, a weekly newspaper that began publication on January 7, 1909, and covers local, national, and world news. The collection consists of newspaper issues held on microfilm at the Crosby County Pioneer Memorial Museum.Added: August 2012.
The Cross Plains Public Library contributes an excerpt from a scrapbook that covers the fire storm that hit Cross Plains, Texas in December 2005. The excerpt includes newspaper clippings from both local and national news coverage.Added: July 2012.
Tarleton State University presents the Cross Timbers Business Report, a quarterly report which addresses the economic conditions across the United States, Texas, and Erath County. The Report's data are compiled from statistics and information available from government agencies and includes summaries and commentary.Added: May 2014.
The Cuero Area Newspaper Collection serves the city of Cuero and DeWitt County, representing a county population of just over 20,000. Famed for turkey ranching, Cuero is unofficially known as the "Turkey Capital of the World," a reputation that is substantiated by the Cuero High School mascot, the Gobblers.Added: March 2016.
The University of North Texas Archives present their collection of photographs for the 1997 National Cutting Horse Association Summer Cutting Spectacular, which was held at the Will Rogers Coliseum in Fort Worth, Texas. Founded in 1946, the National Cutting Horse Association is an equestrian organization that strives to promote cutting horses as a competition sport.Added: May 2012.
The David S. Castle Collection contains over 6,500 pages of architectural drawings and blue prints created primarily during the 1st half of the 20th century. Established in Abilene, Texas in 1915, the David S. Castle Company became an extremely successful architecture firm and was responsible for designing many building landmarks in West Texas during the 1920s and 30s. Some Castle buildings are listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. Although the majority of Castle’s constructions were in Abilene and Midland, he worked extensively throughout West Texas creating plans for schools, courthouses, churches, hospitals, hotels, shopping centers, and movie theaters – with many of these buildings still in use today.Added: August 2016.
The Frank Caldwell Collection contains hundreds of photographs documenting various parts of Texas from about the 1880s through the 1930s. Frank Caldwell (1883-1962), a lifelong resident of Austin, worked as a traveling salesman for Hartwell Brothers Wholesalers, but his passion was Texas history and he spent much of his time collecting materials on the topic. His collection of photographs is a mix of snapshots and professional photographs and includes personal images of family members, photographs given to him by friends, and photos that he presumably purchased. In this selection are scenes from across Texas including missions in San Antonio; assorted county courthouses; railroad lines in various parts of the state; small towns including Albany, Anderson, Big Springs, Bonham, Brenham, Brownsville, Fredericksburg, Goliad, Lampasas, Langtry, Laredo, Lobo, Midland, Shiner, and Snyder; natural locations such as Bull Creek, Marble Falls, the Palo Duro canyon, San Pedro Springs, and the Pecos and Brazos rivers; Fort Sam Houston and Fort Bliss; and the cotton industry in Abilene. People that appear in the photos include Sallie Carlton, Big Foot Wallace, Junius Peak and Texas Rangers, sheriffs, firemen, and school children. There are events and activities depicted such as leisure activities in Galveston, the first flight in Texas, a bullfight in Juarez, Mexico, family outings at Mount Bonnell in Austin, and excursions in early automobiles. Also included are some portraits of Frank Caldwell and family members.Added: May 2016.
The Monitor newspaper continues the legacy of local journalism begun with the area’s first newspaper the Lawndale Ledger in the 1880s and brought forward by the Mabank Banner, which chronicled events for 70 years, until it burned down. In 1986, businessman Paul Austin launched The Monitor. The Monitor was the first area newspaper to add full color to its front page and the first East Texas paper to put up a website.Added: May 2016.
Published in Cameron County, Texas, the Daily Cosmopolitan began distribution to the Brownsville population in 1879. The Daily Cosmopolitan was issued every night of the week except Sunday. Editor W.P. Guirey was fluent in Spanish and therefore specialized in reporting on Matamoros residents and topics, along with nearby border town news.Added: October 2011.
The Daily Herald collection covers the years 1892 - 1896. The Daily Herald began publication in 1892 in Brownsville, and served a vital role in the community by reporting on national, state, and local news, publishing obituaries, and creating a record of legal notices for the area.Added: December 2009.
The first issue of The Amarillo Daily Panhandle was published in 1906 by Peter E. Bosen. It ran every evening except Sunday. As the official newspaper of Amarillo and Potter County, the Panhandle printed local political, school board, church, and social news in addition to state and national news. The Panhandle was unusual for the period because it lacked advertising on the front page.Added: May 2014.
Self-proclaimed as “the South’s Oldest and Largest Negro Newspaper,” the Dallas Express traces its roots to 1892, when William E. King began publishing the Dallas Bee. Renamed the Dallas Express in 1893, the paper served as an advocate for blacks in Dallas and throughout the South for over 70 years.Added: November 2012.
The Dallas Municipal Archives presents their collection, the Dallas Farmer's Market, which includes over 140 photographs of the market, dating as far back as 1950. The photographs contain a variety of images portraying storefronts, farmers, alleyways, and award ceremonies.Added: February 2012.
This collection contains the bulletin published by the Dallas/Fort Worth Section of the American Chemical Society. Included are The Activator (1944-1948) and the subesquent title, the Southwest Retort. The bulletins include division information, regional meetings, news about members, editorials, and other items of interest to members.Added: July 2012.
The Dallas Genealogical Society presents its annual publication containing genealogical information about families in Dallas, Texas and the surrounding area, including family histories, lists of records (births, deaths, registration, etc.), correspondence, and and other documentation.Added: September 2011.
The Dallas Museum of Art presents the Dallas Museum of Art Exhibition Records Collection which contains published catalogs for exhibitions held by the museum between 1903 and 1983. The catalogs, which vary in length, contain a checklist of objects included in the exhibition, and may include essays and images. The collection also contains related unpublished materials including checklists, invitations, press releases, and other ephemera for exhibitions held by the museum between 1903 and 1990s.Added: February 2012.
The Dallas Municipal Archives present the Dallas Parks and Recreation Department Photographs Collection. The collection, in which the dates range from 1915-1977, contains photographs of historic parks, facilities, and activities.Added: February 2012.
The Dallas Municipal Archives presents a collection of Dallas Police Department case files, photographs, newspaper clippings, letters, and other documents from the 1920's to the 1950's.Added: May 2014.
The Sixth Floor Museum’s Dallas Times Herald Collection contains original negatives of approximately 700 black-and-white news images taken by the newspaper’s photographers over the assassination weekend and beyond. Included in the collection are many unique and crucial images, and though only a few of these historic scenes were published by the Times Herald in 1963, they provide a powerful visual record of President Kennedy's last hours in Fort Worth and Dallas, including the motorcade, assassination aftermath, and investigations. The images also provide compelling evidence of the grief and chaos that ensued in the days following the tragedy.Added: September 2011.
Presented by the UNT Libraries, the Dallas Voice is the first newspaper to serve the LGBT community of Dallas, Texas. The paper has provided thoroughly reported news, insightful commentary, and critique of television, theater, and film for over 30 years.Added: August 2012.
The Dallas Municipal Archives present their collection of photographic materials of the Dallas Water Utilities Records, 1882-1990. Founded in 1881, the Dallas Water Utilities is a non-profit water and wastewater service for the City of Dallas, Texas.Added: May 2012.
The Danish Heritage Preservation Society contributes their collection of over 300 photographs to the Portal. The images date back to the 1800's and portray a variety of events, organizations, people, and places that relate to the Danish culture in Texas.Added: July 2012.
The Trail, 1913 - 1952, was the yearbook for Daniel Baker College in Brownwood, Texas. The yearbooks feature school songs, yells, student writings and artwork, and photos of faculty, students, student groups, and athletic events. Some early photographs of Brownwood, Texas buildings and homes are also notable. The first yearbook was published in 1913, and was called "The Trail". In 1929, a paperbound volume was issued with the title "The Hill Billie," and was published from 1929-1931. The Trail began publication again in 1933.Added: May 2009.
The Denison Daily Herald is a daily newspaper from Denison, Texas that includes local, state, and national news along with extensive advertising. Presented by the University of North Texas Libraries, the collection contains over 100 issues from the years 1906 and 1907.Added: May 2012.
Documenting the history of Denton County and its county seat from 1892-1911, the Denton County Newspaper Collection offers a detailed view into the growth and expansion of the county as an agricultural and educational hub.Added: October 2014.
The Denton Independent School District provides historical documents, pamphlets, programs, yearbooks and other pertinent documents chronicling the history of the school district.Added: January 2013.
The University of North Texas Archives presents their collection of photographs by Don Shugart, an equine and show-photographer. The collection contains the images of the 1997 National Cutting Horse Association Summer Cutting Spectacular that was held at Will Rogers Coliseum in Fort Worth, Texas.Added: May 2012.
The Dublin Progress was a weekly newspaper for Dublin, TX in southwest Erath County. The paper was established by James S. Daley in 1889, the same year the town was incorporated. In 1916 the Progress was consolidated with the Dublin Telephone to become the Dublin Progress and Telephone. After the papers were merged James S. Daley continued as the editor and publisher.Added: November 2014.
Starting as a short column in the Breckenridge Weekly Democrat around 1930, The Dynamo soon offered a full page edition within the Weekly Democrat. The Dynamo was published by the Breckenridge junior and senior high school journalism students and covered PTA news, club news, listed the honor roll, reported on sports events, etc. Encouraging catchphrases were given to the students such as "Study harder: Get your name on the Honor ROLL" or "Back Buckaroo Basketball." This is one of five newspapers provided by the Breckenridge Public Library. Others include: The Breckenridge [Daily] American, The Breckenridge Weekly Democrat, the Stephens County Sun and the Stephens County Times.Added: September 2010.
From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History draws on materials from the University of North Texas Libraries, the Denton Public Library, the Courthouse-on-the-Square Museum, and Texas Woman's University. Materials will include historic photographs, books, maps, city directories, and records from numerous Denton women's clubs. Work on this project began in March of 2006, and will continue through 2007. Funding for this project is provided by the Forrest C. Lattner Foundation.Added: May 2009.
The Early Texas Newspaper Collection is a collaboration between UNT and UT's Dolph Briscoe Center for American History. The project provides access to 12,280 pages of Texas newspaper pages that date as early at 1829, including the Telegraph & Texas Register.Added: September 2009.
East Texas Genealogical Society presents past issues of its quarterly publication East Texas Family Records that includes cemetery, bible, confederate, church, family, and military records for the east Texas counties of Anderson, Gregg, Henderson, Panola, Rusk, and Smith.Added: March 2011.
The Dolph Briscoe Center for American History presents The Eastern Texian, a weekly newspaper published by George W. King between 1857 and 1859 from San Augustine, Texas. The newspaper includes local, state, and national news along with advertising.Added: May 2014.
Including the Herald, the Cisco Round-up, the Carbon News, and the Cisco Apert, this collection of newspapers from Eastland County Texas from the late 19th and early 20th Century features news and information for the residents of Cisco and Carbon, Texas.Added: November 2014.
Drawing from the collections of the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum Research Center, the selected items provide a snapshot of the first half century of formal education in the Texas Panhandle. Photographs of educators, students, school buildings and activities show the growth of educational endeavors from one-room schools to colleges. Also included are documents and printed items that represent important milestones in area education and provide details of the classroom, athletic and social activities associated with schools from around the region.Added: May 2014.
This is an archival collection regarding Dr. Edwin D. Moten (1875-1955), an African American physician who resided in Denton, Texas from 1907-1919. The collection contains family photographs along with personal and business correspondence from Dr. Moten.Added: September 2009.
El Democrata Fronterizo (the Democratic Border) is a daily newspaper published by Justo Cardenas in Laredo, Webb County, Texas between 1896 and 1920. The newspaper features news from Mexico, local, state, and national news, as well as advertising.Added: May 2014.
Barron F. Deal and James P. Baker established the Herald Publishing Company in 1881 and published the first issue of the El Paso Herald in April of that year. The paper circulated in El Paso and surrounding communities, including Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. The Herald actively reported on civic progress and international affairs. As the Scripps Howard News attested in January 1951, "In the early 1900s the Herald stood for 'Republicanism, radicalism, and reformation.'" With the Herald representing the Republicans and the rival El Paso Times editorializing for the nascent Democratic Party, the two papers served as rallying points for the community. The paper ran through 1997, after merging with the El Paso Evening PostAdded: September 2010.
The El Paso Morning Times collection chronicles the history of late 19th- and early 20th-century El Paso. First published in 1881 as the El Paso Times, this title internationally details in both Spanish- and English-language editions the progress of the Mexican Revolution.Added: January 2012.
The Institute of Texan Cultures presents El Regidor, a weekly newspaper and one of the few Spanish language newspapers published in San Antonio during the late nineteenth century. The paper was published by Pablo Cruz beginning in 1888. El Regidor featured local, national, and international news and advertising, and also advanced and defended the interests of the barrio community.Added: November 2011.
The Ferris Wheel documents the history of Ferris, Texas. The Ferris Public Library presents the Ferris Wheel from 1896-1897. The weekly newspaper contains, local, national and world news, stories, illustrations, poetry, jokes, and advertisements. Funding for this project was provided by the North East Texas Library System.Added: August 2009.
Johnson County Historical Association contributes its Finders Keepers quarterlies that are a compilation of genealogical and historical information pertaining to residents and locales of Johnson County as recorded in first-hand accounts and historical documents. Many genealogical records for county residents and descendants are also included, as are photographs of people, places and events of the county's past.Added: December 2013.
The Fire Museum of Texas features a selection of its large and significant collection of uniform patches from city and volunteer fire departments from all over the state of Texas. The collection is the largest and most complete of its type and the patches represent the history of fire service in the state.Added: December 2013.
Started by German newspaper editor Ferdinand Flake, Flake's Bulletin in its many title incarnations served the Galveston area from 1865 until 1872. Ferdinand Flake left Germany for America at the age of eighteen, where he earned his living by selling cigars, owning and running a mercantile business, and then purchasing and running Die Union, Texas' first German-language newspaper. Die Union and Flake's Daily Bulletin both ceased publication shortly after Ferdinand Flake's death in 1872.Added: October 2011.
The Margaret Formby Memorial Collection features the Deaf Smith County Library's set of 374 historical newspapers published in Hereford, Texas from 1901-1908. The fully-searchable collection of newspapers was made possible by donations to the Deaf Smith County Friends of the Library in memory of Mrs. Formby, who was dedicated to the preservation of Texas history.Added: July 2011.
The Fort Bend Museum Collection presents a rich variety of historical materials, including photographs of artifacts from the museum and local history photographs. Among the interesting materials are photographs of U.S. Congressman John M. Moore, prohibitionist Carrie A. Nation, and Jane Long, the "Mother of Texas."Added: May 2009.
The town of Fort Griffin in Shackelford County, Texas was formed in the late 1860's. It grew quickly and it gained a reputation as a lawless frontier outpost. Presented by the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, the Fort Griffin Echo was published from 1879 to 1882. It was published weekly and provided local, state, and national news as well as advertising.Added: May 2014.
The Fort Hood Sentinel/Armored Sentinel is the post newspaper for the army base at Fort Hood, Texas. Fort Hood was established in 1942 as Camp Hood. The newspaper collection starts in 1953 as no copies of the earlier editions have been located.Added: November 2012.
On June 30, 1882, the Fort Worth Daily Gazette published its first issue and this collection includes over 1200 issues dated from 1883 to 1890. The paper's notable editors included B. B. Paddock and Walter Malone. The Fort Worth Daily Gazette reigned as the only North Texas daily west of the Trinity River. When it started in 1882, the Gazette, a true daily "printed every day of the year," enjoyed a circulation of 6,000 subscribers at an annual rate of $10,Added: May 2010.
The Dolph Briscoe Center for American History presents Fraternity, a publication of the United Benevolent Society of Fort Worth. The Society was a non-profit organization organized through a lodge system that was dedicated to cooperation for mutual benefit and carrying out social, intellectual, charitable, and patriotic activities. Fraternity was published monthly in Fort Worth, Tarrant County, Texas and included news, editorials, and poetry.Added: May 2014.
The Collin County Genealogical Society presents the Frisco Journal, the first newspaper to serve Frisco, Texas. The paper began in 1902 after the St. Louis - San Francisco Railway built a line through the area. The weekly paper published until the late 1950's. Addition of the Frisco Journal to The Portal to Texas History was supported through a grant awarded to the Collin County Genealogical Society, from the Collin County Historical Commission.Added: October 2014.
From Republic to State: Debates and Documents Relating to the Annexation of Texas, 1836-1856 features maps, books, letters and pamphlets relating to this volatile era in Texas history. As one of only two sovereign nations to become a part of the United States of America, the Republic of Texas occupies a unique place in American history. Funding for this project was provided by the TexTreasures program.Added: May 2009.
The Dolph Briscoe Center for American History presents The Frontier Echo, a weekly newspaper from Jacksboro, Jack County, Texas. The newspaper was published by G. W. Robson between 1875 and 1878. It features local, state, and national news along with some advertising.Added: May 2014.
William Gardiner Fuller was born in Trenton, New Jersey on February 11, 1895 and died in Dallas, Texas on November 3, 1978. His first contact with aviation was with Wright Aeronautical in New Brunswick, New Jersey, building Hispano-Suiza aircraft engines. He soloed in a Curtiss Jenny at Love Field, Dallas. More importantly, he founded Meacham Field, Fort Worth Municipal Airport in 1925 and served as its manager until 1942.Added: November 2014.
The decades following the Civil War found Gainesville, Texas experiencing its first extended period of growth after struggling in its early years due to Indian raids. With the expansion of the cattle industry, Gainesville became a supply point for cowboys driving the herds north to Kansas and the town's population grew rapidly. The Gainesville Hesperian began printing in 1869 as a weekly newspaper and started publishing daily in 1879. The paper provided the growing community with state, local, and national news as well as advertising. It is presented here courtesy of the Abilene Library Consortium.Added: October 2014.
The McMurray University Library presents their collection of the Galleon, a literary magazine with editorials, plays, poetry, artwork and book reviews. Founded in 1923, there are over 100 issues within the collection dating from its beginning up until 2009.Added: March 2012.
The Galveston Weekly News began publication in 1843 by George French. Soon after it its inception, it was purchased by Willard Richardson, who later passed it onto D. Richardson. Its masthead contained the words, "The Will of the People Should Rule."Added: September 2010.
H. P. N. Gammel's The Laws of Texas charts Texas law from colonization to statehood and reveals Texas's history during crucial times in its development. The complete set, volumes 1 - 33 are available. Funding for the first 10 volumes was provided by the TexTreasures program.Added: May 2009.
The General and Special Laws of Texas are often referred to as the "session laws". They constitute a complete set of all bills passed into law by each session of the Texas Legislature. They are each assigned a chapter number by the Secretary of State and are arranged in chapter number order and published as a bound set following each legislative session.Added: May 2014.
The George Ranch Collection features extensive materials from the George Ranch Historical Park a 23,000 acre working ranch and living history museum. The land was originally settled in 1824 as part of the Austin Colony by Nancy and Henry Jones. Materials focus on the Jones and George families, and the traditional Texas pursuits of cattle, cotton and oil.Added: March 2009.
Presented by the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, the Georgetown Watchman was a newspaper published by William K Foster beginning in 1867. The paper features news, entertainment, and advertising from the early days of Georgetown, Texas and Williamson County.Added: August 2012.
The German Immigration to Texas collection mostly features materials from the University of Texas at Arlington, along with select materials that support this topic, both in English and German. The collection includes maps, photographs, manuscripts, along with books such as German Pioneers in Texas; A Brief History of Their Hardships, Struggles and Achievements.Added: September 2009.
The Texas General Land Office contributes Historic County Maps from its earliest collections. The maps are cadastral maps, showing original surveys, usually made by virtue of a land grant within a particular county in Texas. Formats represented include manuscripts, lithographs, some early photographs, and blueprints/bluelines. The scale is generally 1 inch to 4000 varas. Most of the maps were compiled and drawn by draftsmen at the GLO, and most are manuscript maps.Added: May 2010.
Tarleton State University present its yearbook The Grassburr which features photos of and information about the school, student body, professors, and organizations. The Grassburr serves as a record keeper of Tarleton history and remembers organizations like the Janitor's Club, the Silver Keys, and the Lords and Commoners. These organizations are not present on the Tarleton campus today, but are the forerunners for the present sororities and fraternities.Added: February 2014.
Edwin Harris began publishing the Morning Herald, which initially consisted of four seven-column pages, but it expanded to eight after 1907. Harris died in 1912, and in 1914, cotton broker William C. Poole bought the Herald and appointed his son, Tom Reed Poole, as editor and general manager. The Poole family owned the paper until 1956, when the Harte-Hanks group merged it with the Greenville Banner to form the Greenville Herald-Banner. After several other changes in ownership, the newspaper continues in publication. In early 2010, Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc., owned the paper, which operated with a circulation of around 8,000.Added: September 2010.
The Hallettsville Area Newspaper Collection represents the Lavaca County seat and South Texas, beginning in 1924. The Hallettsville newspapers are printed in both English and Czech, representing the area's deep connections to Czech immigration.Added: May 2016.
Hallettsville is the county seat of Lavaca County. The town was formed after Margaret L. Hallett donated the land for the town site in 1836. Presented by the University of Texas at San Antonio, the Hallettsville Rebel is one of thirteen newspapers that circulated in the area by 1913. Once the state paper of the Socialist Party, it ran from 1911 until 1917 when it was forced to cease publication. The Hallettsville Rebel featured political news and articles as well as advertising.Added: May 2014.
The catalogs describe the governance, history, course offerings, and campus life of Hardin-Simmons University, 1892-2008. Hardin Simmons University was founded in 1891 as Abilene Baptist College and since 1941 has been associated with the General Baptist General Convention of Texas.Added: May 2009.
The Hardin-Simmons University Yearbooks collection includes the Bronco, which includes photos and information about the school, student body, professors, and organizations. The Bronco is preserved as a complete collection for the years 1908-2007, with 1918 being the only year not available due to no publication for that year. This rich source documents the history and development of Hardin-Simmons University, a community dedicated to providing excellence in education enlightened by Christian faith.Added: March 2009.
The 12th Armored Division Association presents its collection of the newsletter, Hellcat News, a publication dedicated to the activities of the 12th Armored Division and its previous servicemen. The division was activated in September of 1942 at Camp Campbell, Kentucky. It conducted operations in France and Germany and was recognized for, among other things, being a liberating element of the Kaufering concentration camps.Added: May 2014.
The Hemphill County News provides access to this newspaper from 1939-1951. The Hemphill County News began publication in 1939, and was published until 1968 by editor Othello Ontje Miller. The sole owners of the newspaper were husband and wife, Othello and Elna Miller. He was the publisher and editor and she was in charge of the reporting and advertising.Added: September 2009.
Henderson County, Texas was established in 1846 with its county seat in Athens. Its first courthouse was built in 1850. The Henderson County District Clerk's Office is working with us to provide access to historic legal documents and court cases from the 1850s to the early 1900s.Added: May 2010.
Henderson is a city in Rusk County, Texas. It was founded in 1843, nearly three years before Texas became a state. From 1881 to 1906, its weekly paper the Henderson Times was owned and edited by Robert T. Milner, a president of Texas A&M University and a notable Texas legislator.Added: August 2012.
This collection contains personal correspondence, military special orders, combat reports, military publications, a military ID card, photographs, and other materials created by Henry R. Clay, Jr. documenting his time in the military as a pilot during WWI while receiving his training in England and during his deployment in France.Added: May 2016.
Home of the Big Cypress Bayou and a Carnegie library, Jefferson, Texas contains a variety of historic establishments and tourist attractions. The Home Advocate is one of two newspaper collections available on The Portal to Texas History, which also hosts 19th-century issues of the Jefferson Jimplecute.Added: August 2012.
Established in Fannin County in 1891, the Honey Grove Signal was published in Fannin County until 1929. In 1929, the newspaper changed ownership and became the Honey Grove Signal-Citizen. The Honey Grove Newspaper Collection has been compiled by the citizens of Honey Grove, Texas, in cooperation with the Honey Grove Preservation League.Added: October 2013.
The Horse Country USA Archive includes photographs from the Cutting Horse Photography Collection, the Don Shugart Photography Collection, and the Ray and Joyce Bankston Dalco Photography Collection. The Archive consists of a wide variety of photographs of horses, their riders, and cutting horse competiions.Added: May 2014.
Officially formed in 1886, the Daily Post established itself as the premier paper in Houston and one of the leading daily publications in Texas. The paper was led by its editor and future U.S. Senator Rienzi M. Johnston. By 1901, circulation had climbed to 14,207. Regular features of the Daily Post included "To Make Houston Greater" pieces by newspaper staff and guest columns written by local businessmen and community leaders speculating on the potential outcomes of expanding Houston, as well as reports on world news.Added: September 2010.
The Howard Payne catalogue is an annual publication describing the campus location, statement of purpose and beliefs, faculty and staff, types of courses and degrees offered, boarding facilities, and campus organizations. The issues from 1891 through 1923-24 contain a few black and white photographs of the campus, early Brownwood homes and businesses, student groups, and faculty members, plus a roster of both current students and recent alumni (1891-1954).Added: June 2009.
The Lasso, 1913-2002, and the Swarm, 2002-present, are the yearbooks for Howard Payne University in Brownwood, Texas. Featured are photographs of individual students, professors, campus buildings, campus organizations, and highlights of sporting events. The Howard Payne Lasso, 1912-2001,chronicles the yearly events in the life of the college (later university). The Lasso was published annually from volume 1, 1912, until the publication changed its name to Swarm in 2002.Added: May 2009.
The Humanities Texas Grant collection features a wide variety of historical photographs, letters, and documents relevant to Texas history. Humanities Texas grants enable communities throughout the state to develop programs of local interest promoting heritage, culture, and education.Added: May 2014.
The Humble Echo was the primary newspaper for Humble, Texas The newspaper started in 1942, and it provides a window into Humble life through local news, ads for local companies, as well as personal memos from local townspeople to their loved ones fighting in the war. The Humble Museum has digitized the earliest editions of the Humble Echo, plus five complete years of issues from the late 1960s and early 1970s.Added: May 2016.
The Huntsville Item was founded in 1850, succeeding the Texas Banner. It began as a weekly paper, published every Saturday morning. The Item is one of the oldest continuously published newspapers in Texas and is still in print today. The Item's presses also print the college newspapers, the Battalion of Texas A&M and the Houstonian of Sam Houston State University.Added: July 2014.
The Dolph Briscoe Center for American History presents the Huth Family Papers collection, which contains personal and business correspondence, financial and legal records, manuscript material, printed material, photographic material, and translations and transcriptions in German, French, and English which document the business, personal, and civic activities of Ferdinand Louis Huth as he immigrated to Texas, assisted in the administration of a new colony, and served in public office.Added: April 2012.
The Ladd and Katherine Hancher Library Foundation Grants Collection includes any newspaper collection whose digitization has been funded by the Hancher Library Foundation, which supports public libraries in Texas that serve populations of 50,000 and under.Added: April 2014.
The Jackson Area Newspaper Collection represents multiple title iterations of the same newspaper, starting with the the Edna Herald, originally begun on November 22, 1906, and moving up to the Jackson County Herald-Tribune. H.K. “Cap” Staples, an Edna native, began the newspaper, reportedly on Wells Street in downtown Edna.Added: August 2016.
The UNT Music Library's Jean-Baptiste Lully Collection includes almost thirty rare 17th- and 18th-century scores of operas and ballets by the 17th-century French composer Jean-Baptiste Lully and his sons. Many of the volumes are first editions and several are second editions. The collection also contains manuscript copies of operas and one ballet that were probably offered for sale at performances.Added: December 2009.
The Jimplecute was one of Marion County's most influential publications, and survives today as Texas's fifth oldest newspaper. It was published by Taylor and Taylor as the Jimplecute from 1900 to 1907, then under the name of the Jefferson Jimplecute from 1907 to 1926. The weekly served primarily the town of Jefferson, but it also circulated throughout northeast Texas and occasionally addressed its contents to nearby communities such as Lockett. The paper's curious name can be traced to two possible sources: 1) a colloquial expression meaning "sweetheart" or 2) a strange mythical creature composed of elements of a dragon, an Indian, an armadillo, and a lion.Added: September 2010.
Abilene Christian University Library presents the Jesse P. Sewell Photograph Collection. Jesse P. Sewell (1876-1969) was the fifth president of Childers Classical Institute (later Abilene Christian College, and now Abilene Christian University) in Abilene, Texas. Sewell served as the school’s president from 1912-1924.Added: March 2015.
Presented by the Hardin-Simmons University Library, the Jesse Wallace Williams Map Collection features historic topographic maps of locations in Texas and surrounding states. The detailed maps include precise locations of roads, waterways, structures and more. Jesse Wallace Williams was a historian, teacher, and graduate of Hardin-Simmons University. He authored three books and many articles about Texas history and the state's historic roads and trails.Added: September 2014.
The first issue of The Jewish Herald appeared on September 24, 1908, but the paper had its origins in a news bulletin that the editor Edgar Goldberg sent to the Jewish community in April 1908. At that time, Houston could count approximately 1,700 Jewish residents and two Jewish congregations. The Jewish Herald was a weekly publication, devoted to matters of interest to the Hebrew citizens of Houston.Added: January 2010.
UNT Libraries present the Jewish Herald-Voice, the longest running Jewish newspaper in the Southwest. The weekly paper was started over 106 years ago and has served the Jewish community of Houston, TX ever since, providing local and national news as well as advertising to enrich the lives of the Texas Gulf Coast Jewish residents.Added: December 2014.
George G. Fox, rabbi of the Fort Worth congregation Beth-el, started the Fort Worth Jewish Monitor in 1914. It was a regional weekly paper designed to connect local rabbis and congregations. Rabbi Fox became the editor, while the board of directors at Beth-el helped finance the project and find investors for the Monitor Publishing Company, which printed the paper.Added: April 2013.
The Texas Architecture photograph collection consists of photographs of historic Texas county courthouses and their surrounding buildings, as well as historic bridges, churches, and landmarks. The photographs are all in color and were taken from 1990 to the present.Added: April 2011.
The John F. Kennedy/Dallas Police Department Collection contains 404 photographs that include the sniper's nest in downtown Dallas Texas School Book Depository Building, where Oswald allegedly fired on Kennedys motorcade; the back and front yards of the boarding house at 214 Neely; Dealey Plaza; the intersection at Tenth Street and Patton Avenue where Oswald allegedly fatally shot Dallas patrolman J.D. Tippit; interiors of the Texas Theater, where Oswald was arrested by Dallas police; and the basement of Dallas City Hall, where Jack Ruby shot and killed Oswald on Nov. 24, 1963.Added: October 2009.
The John F. Kennedy Memorial Collection features more than 11, 000 pages of investigative materials from the Dallas Police Department's extensive investigation currently housed at the Dallas Municipal Archives. The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza contributed approximately 700 black-and-white news images taken by the Dallas Times Herald's photographers that documents the events surrounding the assassination and four handwritten journals from jurors who sat on the Jack Ruby trial.Added: November 2013.
John James Herrera (1910-1986), lawyer and leading civil rights advocate for Mexican Americans, played a role in key cases that ultimately established that separate schools for Mexican American children were illegal and that the systematic exclusion of Spanish-speaking citizens from service on juries was unconstitutional. Herrera severed as national president of the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) and was politically active throughout his life. He relates that one of the most memorable nights of his life was on November 21, 1963, when he introduced President John F. Kennedy to a group of LULAC members gathered at the Rice Hotel for a reception.Added: May 2014.
John M. Sharpe, Sr. became the executive head of the Sun Publishing Company and editor of the Williamson County Sun in 1918. He also served the city of Georgetown as mayor and postmaster, each three times. Presented by the Williamson County Museum, this collection of Sharpe family photographs and documents feature historical images of family members as well as biographies and texts of news articles and more.Added: June 2014.
Texas Southern University features more than 200 photographs from the Barbara C. Jordan Archives. Barbara Jordan ran for the Texas House twice, in 1962 and 1964. She then ran for the Texas Senate in 1966, winning a seat and becoming the first African American since Reconstruction to serve in the Texas State Senate.Added: March 2014.
José L. Castillo, a correspondent for the international EFE News Service, donated his archive of photographs taken between July 2004 and July 2006 to the UNT Archives. The images depict protests and political events in the Latino community, including the march protesting immigration bill HR 4437 in April 2006 by more than 350,000 people; Hispanic community and political leaders; and festivals, Latino soccer leagues and other gatherings in the North Texas area.Added: June 2009.
The Journal of the Effective Schools Project collection consists of 19 published journals resulting from the Tarleton State University Effective Schools Project. The Effective Schools Project (ESP) at Tarleton State University is dedicated to the goals of improving school effectiveness, raising the achievement level of public school students, and improving the professional development of preservice and inservice educators. Established in 1988, ESP seeks to unite the efforts of public school educators and university faculty in striving for continuous improvement.Added: May 2014.
The J-TAC student newspaper began regular publication in the fall of 1919. Originally called the Tarletonite, The J-TAC is Tarleton State University's official newspaper. The name comes from the acronym for "John Tarleton Agricultural College", the original name of the university.Added: February 2011.
The Judge Joseph A. Carroll Collection consists of 80 letters of approximately 129 pages written to and from Judge Carroll between 1856 through 1869. Joseph A. Carroll played a major role in the early development of North Texas.Added: January 2014.
Kerens, Texas is located in eastern Navarro County. The town, named for Judge R. C. Kerens of St. Louis, was founded in 1881 when the St. Louis Southwestern Railway of Texas built through the county. Presented by the Kerens Public Library, the Kerens Tribune is a weekly newspaper that began publishing in 1892 and continues to serve the community today.Added: July 2014.
KXAS was the first television station in Texas and the Southwest when it signed on as WBAP-TV on September 27, 1948. It is an NBC owned station in Fort Worth which serves the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. Presented by the UNT Archives, this collection features photographs, video, and scripts from news stories produced by the station during its early years.Added: July 2014.
Lamar University presents editions of the Redbird, Lamar Tech Redbird, and Lamar Cardinal, the university's student newspapers from the 1930's to the 1970's. The paper was created when South Park Junior College changed to Lamar College in 1932, publishing an edition every other week until the mid 1950's when it became a weekly. In 1971 when Lamar College gained university status the newspaper became the University Press.Added: October 2014.
Presented by Lamar University, the Larry Jene Fisher Collection reflects the diverse interests and tireless curiosity of the Renaissance man of Southeast Texas. Fisher’s work as a photographer, filmmaker, environmental activist, musician, pilot, and traveler are all reflected in his images.Added: March 2015.
Legacies is a biannual publication devoted to the rich history of Dallas and North Central Texas as a way to examine the many historical legacies--social, ethnic, cultural, political--which have shaped the modern city of Dallas and the region around it. Currently, Legacies is a joint publication of Dallas Heritage Village, the Dallas Historical Society, the Old Red Museum, and the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza.Added: May 2009.
LeMoine Lewis (1916-1987) was a professor of Bible and church history at Abilene Christian University from 1949-1986. The collection consists of 267 lectures, delivered between October 8, 1975 and April 30, 1986 at the University Church of Christ in Abilene, Texas. Broadly speaking, the lessons proceed chronologically through the history of Christianity. The lessons focus on historical church groups and their leaders, especially those groups and leaders who have most affected the Restoration Movement. These recordings offer a direct, unfiltered window into Dr. Lewis’ knowledge and interpretation of church history.Added: December 2015.
LGBT Collections features publications of interest to the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) community. The collection includes The Dallas Voice, a weekly newspaper for the gay community in North Texas that has been published since 1984.Added: May 2014.
The Higgins Public Library presents a selection of newspapers published in Lipscomb County, Texas including the Lipscomb Lime Light and Follett Times. The newspaper was published weekly beginning in 1917 and featured local, state, and national news along with advertising.Added: May 2014.
The Llano News was established in 1889 and has absorbed six newspapers over the last one hundred years. Over the past decades, The Llano News has been a vital part of the fabric of Llano County reporting and publishing community news as well as state and national news. The Llano News is the newspaper of record for the county and continues to support the people who make Llano a healthy place to live and raise families.Added: August 2016.
The Loblolly magazine was created by the students at Gary, Texas High School for the purpose of preserving and providing information on their community's past so that they may better understand the present world. The stories and information in the Loblolly tells of traditions and life skills which started in early Texas pioneer days.Added: September 2015.
Lorenzo de Zavala Online: Empresario, Statesman and Texas Revolutionary gathers materials from several diverse institutions, bringing them together in one virtual collection. Lorenzo de Zavala's remarkable accomplishments provide a tantalizing glimpse of this versatile individual--newspaperman, physician, public servant, empresario, diplomat, governor, statesman, and first interim Vice-President of the Republic of Texas.Added: February 2009.
The Love Field Album and Photographs collection features images of the daily life and flight training of Love Field in 1918 while it was an Army camp in World War I and as a municipally-owned airport circa 1965-1990. Also documented are the "Flyin' Frolic" of November 12-13, 1918, and a re-enactment of the Charles Lindbergh Flight Reenactment that took place in 1977.Added: January 2010.
Resource Center is a service organization for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community of Dallas, Texas. This collection, formerly the contents of the Phil Johnson Historic Archives and Research Library at the Resource Center, features photographs, pamphlets, t-shirts, buttons, and memorabilia spanning 50 years of the history of LGBT social movements.Added: June 2014.
In tribute to James Mobley, publisher of the Cedar Hill Citizen, The Portal to Texas History has digitized and made his newspaper publicly accessible. Mobley and his wife, Pat, have been strong supporters of public access to educational research materials for the greater good of the community, and he published the Cedar Hill Citizen newspaper from 1971-1974.Added: January 2015.
This map collection from the University of Texas at Arlington features more than 5,000 maps that document the greater Southwest. The collection includes maps dating from 1493 to the present and features noted cartographers.Added: October 2009.
The Marfa Public Library contributes its collection of photographs that document the local history of Marfa and the surrounding area. Images include photographs of many families, including the Crosson, Contrera, Cordova, Chavarria, Campos, Cline, Love, Vasquez, Porter, Jordan, and Rivera families. Also featured are photos of the ghost town of Shafter, and pictures of the set for the movie "Giant."Added: March 2011.
The Mary (Mrs. Anson) Jones Letters features a large collection of personal letters from the University of Houston Libraries' Special Collections dated between 1866 to 1882, discussing local affairs, family and friends. After Anson Jones's death, there were issues relating to land claims and taxes on land owned by the family. The bulk of the letters are to Mary Jones's son, Cromwell Anson Jones.Added: May 2009.
Lambshead Ranch, one of Texas' most historic cattle ranches, is still owned and operated by the direct descendants of Judge J.A. and Sallie Reynolds Matthews, the author of the chronicle, Interwoven. The Reynolds and Matthews were pioneer ranchers and trail drivers who arrived in East Texas in the 1850's and at the Clear Fork of the Brazos River in 1866. The photographs document ranching history, ranching practices and changes in the land.Added: December 2009.
Representing sixteen titles, the McKinney Democrat-Gazette Collection on the Portal to Texas History spans 54 years, from 1880-1934. Published from 1884 to 1906, The Democrat comprises the bulk of the McKinney titles, of which nearly the entire run is available.Added: November 2011.
The McMurry University Library presents their collection of photographs of the college's people, organizations, activities, and campus buildings. The photographs span the college's history from its opening day to the present. McMurry University first opened its doors in September of 1923 in Abilene, Texas. Their mission is to provide a Christian liberal arts and professional education that prepares students for a fulfilling life of leadership and service.Added: January 2015.
The McMurry Oral History Collection consists of video interviews of alumni and professors of McMurry University about their experiences at McMurry during the time they were associated with the university. These oral history videos are a part of a larger collection of oral histories, many of them in audio format, which began to be collected at McMurry in the early 1980s.Added: June 2015.
The Totem yearbook, 1924-2006, for McMurry College in Abilene, Texas, is the University yearbook, presenting a record of student and campus life during the previous academic year. Included are photographs, formal and candid, of students, faculty, administrators, staff, student organizations, social clubs, athletic teams, Homecoming, and other special events. The Totem is published annually.Added: May 2009.
Southwestern University’s student newspaper began in 1907 when students came before the faculty asking for their support in starting a student newspaper. The first issues were published during the week of commencement as The Commencement Daily, and this merged into a weekly publication the next year. The Megaphone reflects campus life as well as Georgetown and Williamson County events and activities, especially during the early years when town and gown were indistinguishable.Added: April 2014.
The Mercedes Area Newspapers Collection represents newspapers that have served the residents of Mercedes, Hidalgo County, Texas, through a partnership with the Dr. Hector P. Garcia Memorial Library. Located in the Rio Grand Valley in southeastern Hidalgo County, the town of Mercedes was officially incorporated in 1909, although a town known as Mercedes had been established in 1904.Added: March 2015.
Through a collaboration with the Meridian Library and the Tocker Foundation, these original issues of the Meridian Tribune, starting in 1886, are now being preserved. Meridian is the county seat of Bosque County. It was founded in 1854 and named for the ninety-eighth meridian which was incorrectly believed to pass nearby.Added: November 2013.
The town of Mexia, Texas was named for the Mexia family who received a land grant that included the site of the town in 1833. The town was formed in 1870 and settlement began when the Houston and Texas Central Railway was completed in 1871. The Mexia Newspaper Collection on The Portal to Texas History represents Mexia, Texas starting in 1902. It is presented by the Gibbs Memorial Library.Added: February 2013.
The Houston Public Library's Mexican American Family and Photo Collection reflects a wide range of families and individuals through photographs and documents that capture business and work experiences, festivals and community events, daily life and individual achievements. Some examples include: the 1928 Rice Institute graduation photo of Primitivo L. Nino; 1940s photographs of the Rusk Settlement House for Mexican-American Immigrants; photographs of workers and working conditions, students, educational, and church events.Added: February 2014.
The University of Texas at El Paso and the El Paso Public Library present a collection of primary source items relating to the Mexican Revolution. The collection includes 15 books and 10 postcards dating from 1910 to 1919.Added: March 2012.
Spanning multiple titles and representing Wood County, Texas, the Mineola Newspaper Collection depicts the rich center of publishing that was Mineola, Texas, at the turn of the century. When two railroad lines, the Texas and Pacific and the International Great-Northern, competed to reach Mineola in 1873, the International Great-Northern won by reaching the town fifteen minutes before its competitor.Added: October 2012.
The Miniature Book Collection presents a small selection of tiny treasures from the holdings of the University of North Texas Libraries' Rare Book Room. These miniature books, 4" (10 cm) tall or smaller, include both contemporary and historical works. In some cases, only the covers have been digitized.Added: December 2009.
The Museum of the Gulf Coast collection contains over 400 photographs and postcards depicting Jefferson, Harris, and Orange counties from the 1890's to the present day. Musical performance photographs include Glenn Wells, Jesse James and His Boys, Johnny Winter, Tex Ritter, the Boogie Kings, and many more. Other images display various people and places such as Spindletop, Texaco refineries, parades, and beaches.Added: April 2012.
The National Museum of the Pacific War/Admiral Nimitz Foundation presents their Oral History Collection. It contains transcripts of interviews with World War II veterans who discuss their personal experiences in the war; including, the Doolittle Raid, D-Day, and the Battle for Bataan.Added: July 2012.
The Neal Douglass Photography Collection comes from the Austin History Center, Austin Public Library. Douglass, a photojournalist for the Austin American-Statesman, also maintained his own studio. The collection is an invaluable resource of information illustrating many aspects of Austin life during the years, 1930-1969, a period poorly represented by other existing Austin History Center Collections. Specific events, cultural aspects of life, and former buildings and customs are depicted in photographs that comprise the collection.Added: February 2009.
The Neu Braunfelser Zeitung began publication in 1852, and was one of the earliest German-language newspapers in Texas. The paper was begun to advertise the town and attract new immigrants. It is presented here courtesy of the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History.Added: August 2012.
Part of a land grant from Spain to Moses Austin, the town of Bryan, Texas was originally settled and founded in 1821. After a period of rapid growth following the expansion of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad to the town after 1867 several newspapers competed for the area's readership. The Bryan Eagle weekly paper was begun by Richard M. Smith in 1889. A daily edition, The Bryan Daily Eagle, began publishing in 1895. The Eagle was joined with the Brazos Pilot, founded in 1877, and became the Bryan Daily Eagle and Pilot in 1909. It was published as the Bryan Morning Eagle from 1989 to 1909 and The Bryan Daily Eagle from 1895 to 1898 and 1918 to 1969.Added: May 2014.
Nocona, Texas is located in Montague County. The town was named for Peta Nocona, Comanche Chief and husband to Cynthia Ann Parker. Settlement began in the 1870's when William Broaddus and D. C. Jordan established a ranch near the present townsite. Construction of the town began when the Gainesville, Henrietta and Western Railway extended a rail line to the area in 1887. The Nocona News began publishing in 1905 serving the town and greater Montague County. The weekly paper is still in press to this day.Added: July 2014.
The Norman Dietel Photograph Collection is presented by the LBJ Museum of San Marcos and document Lyndon Johnson and family at the LBJ Ranch in Stonewall, Texas (his home from 1951-1973, Lady Bird's until 2007). The photos cover major events, including the historic diplomatic visit by West German Chancellor Adenauer in 1961, meeting with foreign ambassadors from Mexico and India, the 1960 campaign of Kennedy and Johnson, birthday celebrations, President Johnson press conferences, education legislation signing ceremonies, national/state park dedications, LBJ's funeral ceremony, and dedication of Otto Lindig's historic lime kiln.Added: August 2012.
The student newspaper for the University of North Texas was first published in 1916 under the title The Campus Chat. By the late 1940s the paper was distributed on a semi-weekly basis and in 1970 the name was changed to The North Texas Daily.Added: March 2011.
The North Texas History Harvest was a community history project conducted by the University of North Texas and the Denton County Office of History and Culture which invited the residents of Denton, Texas to bring items of historical significance to be digitized. The digitized items included photographs and text.Added: May 2014.
The Northern Standard, from Clarksville, TX collection comes from our partners at the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History. The Northern Standard was a pioneer-era Texas newspaper that was published from August 20, 1842 to December 6, 1888. Edited and published by Colonel Charles Demorse, each issue contained the phrase "Long shall our banner brave the breeze, the standard of the free."Added: April 2012.
Nortion's Union Intelligencer was a weekly paper published in Dallas between 1867 and 1898 by Anthony Banning Norton. An Ohioan by birth, Norton moved to Texas in 1855 and was elected a representative in the Texas legislature. He was a staunch Unionist and supported Sam Houston for governor in 1859. Like many Unionists, Norton left Texas during the Civil War but he returned in 1865, settling in Dallas. He published the Union Intelligencer there until his death.Added: August 2014.
The O. D. and Estelle Bates Collection presents images collected by O. D. and Estelle Bates from the citizens of Irving during the U.S. Bicentennial. Instrumental in forming the Irving Heritage Society, the Bates's contributions to the preservation of Irving's history are significant. The collection includes photographs of Irving homes, businesses and citizens in the early 1900s, and is housed in the Irving Archives.Added: May 2009.
The O. Henry Collection consists primarily of the short stories of William Sydney Porter (1862-1910), written under his pseudonym O. Henry. Each story is available as it first appeared in the popular magazines of the day, and these and other stories published posthumously can also be found in first edition compilation books, and later as part of his collected works. In addition to published materials, the collection also contains handwritten letters, photographs, legal documents, newspaper articles, artifacts, and maps drawn and signed by Porter.Added: August 2011.
The O.K. Hobbs Plat Book offers the researcher an objective, historical reference to the layout of the city of the Abilene. Its bulk was assembled in 1927 by O.K. Hobbs and J.P. McKean, and was revised by Hobbs in May, 1930. It appears to have been compiled from many different sources., and the plats in this book were traced from older plat collections.Added: August 2010.
The Optimist, the school newspaper of Abilene Christian College, was first published in August, 1912 as a monthly newsletter. It has been continually published since then, and starting with Volume 7, and ending with Volume 68, it was published weekly. Nearly all the material in The Optimist comes from students. For this reason, it is not only valuable regarding school history, but also offers insight into the minds of its contemporary students.Added: June 2010.
Lamar State College-Orange presents its local historic newspapers, including The Orange Leader and The Orange Tribune, covering the years 1930, 1944, 1961, and 1965. The Orange newspaper was published in Southeast Texas under a variety of names: The Orange Tribune, Orange Weekly Tribune, Southeast Texas Journal, Tribune Southeast Texas Journal, Daily Tribune and the Orange Daily Tribune to name a few.Added: March 2011.
Ormer Locklear (1891-1920) was a Texas native who joined the United Army Air Service during World War I and learned to fly in Fort Worth. His brief career saw him perform as a barnstormer and then headed to Hollywood where he acted in two feature movies (The Great Air Robbery and the Skywayman). Locklear was killed while performing a stunt for the latter movie. The Collection consists of photographs of Locklear, his friends and family, his stunt flying and his movie work, his funeral, as well as a set of hand colored Lobby Cards from The Great Air Race.Added: December 2013.
As a collaborative project, Austin College and Rice University contributed each of their collections of the Osterhout family papers to the Portal. The two institutions pooled their respective collections to provide access to almost 500 items comprising an extensive collection of official documents, postcards, and letters.Added: October 2012.