Collections - B
Serving the county seat of Bandera County, the Bandera Bulletin began publication in 1945. Early Serving the county seat of Bandera County, the Bandera Bulletin began publication in 1945, documenting the area's history, including major flooding events from the Medina River, as well as population booms in the 1960s-1970s. settlement began with Polish settlers in Bandera County in 1853. The Bandera Public Library received a Tocker Foundation grant to include the Bulletin on The Portal to Texas History.Added: May 2016.
The Bartlett Tribune collection covers the years 1902 - 1972. The Bartlett Tribune began publication in 1886, and served a vital role in the community by reporting on national, state, and local news, publishing obituaries, and creating a record of legal notices for the area.Added: September 2009.
The first edition of The Bastrop Advertiser and County News, now The Bastrop Advertiser, was published on March 1, 1853, giving it claim to being the oldest continuously published weekly (semi-weekly since Sept. 5, 1977) in Texas. Available on The Portal to Texas History is the Bastrop Advertiser from 1854 to 1954.Added: February 2012.
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department presents the Battleship Texas State Historic Site Photograph Collection depicting the evolution of the ship’s technology and appearance over time, how she contributed to the war effort in both World Wars, and what life was like for the men who served on the ship.Added: January 2015.
Baylor County, in North Central Texas, was formally organized in 1879 with Seymour as its county seat. The Baylor County Banner printed its first edition in 1895, following the previously established newspapers, the Monitor and the News. The Banner continues to be published weekly today, providing the residents of Seymour, Texas with local, state, and national news. The Baylor County Banner has been digitized through the support of a Tocker Foundation grant, in collaboration with the Baylor County Free Library.Added: June 2014.
The Bell County Democrat, presented by the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, represents late-19th and early-20th century life in central Texas. The semi-weekly paper features local, state, and national news as well as advertising.Added: August 2012.
Presented by the Bellaire Historical Society, these weekly newspapers from Houston, Texas include news and information of interest to residents of West University Place, Bellaire, Southside Place, Braeswood, Southampton, Southgate and adjacent areas along with extensive advertising.Added: May 2014.
Founded on July 28th, 1860, the Bellville Countryman was a semi-weekly newspaper published by W.S. Thayer and edited by John P. Osterhout, and it served the populations of Bellville and Austin, Texas. Its motto was, "Independent in All Things - Neutral in None."Added: October 2011.
The Belton Independent was a weekly newspaper published in Belton, Texas that discussed local, state, and national news along with advertising. Known as a Whig newspaper, it was the first paper in Bell County; it openly opposed succession and strongly supported Sam Houston.Added: May 2012.
The Belton Journal has been published weekly since 1866 and represents a population of over 18,000 people. Digital access of the Belton Journal was generously supported by the Texas State Library and Archives Commission under a TexTreasures grant.Added: August 2012.
More than 250 photos document the history of Bergstrom Air Force Base from its early days in the 1940s when it was known as Del Valle Army Air Base to its closure and transformation into Austin’s municipal airport in the 1990s. There are portraits of officers, group portraits of aircrew classes, candid scenes, views of buildings and facilities, aerial views, and photos of visiting dignitaries such as Queen Elizabeth II and President Nixon.Added: March 2014.
The Big Lake Wildcat was established in 1925 to serve the residents of Big Lake and Reagan County. The Wildcat was one of several newspapers founded in the early days of Reagan County including The Big Lake Sentinel, The Big Lake Crony, The Stiles Journal, The Big Lake News and the Oil Review. The Wildcat, during those early years, absorbed most of those newspaper and in September, 1931 when the Big Lake Sentinel closed its doors, it became the only newspaper in Reagan County.Added: June 2015.
The Bill and Marcella Bradly Collection consists of large format negatives donated by the Bradly family to the Deaf Smith County Public Library. Photographer Bill Bradly documented the people and businesses of the area and created preservation negatives of historic photographs. This photographic collection richly illustrates Texas's cattle and farming tradition. This project is supported in part by Humanities Texas, the state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities.Added: May 2009.
The Nettie Lee Benson Latin American Collection at the University of Texas, Austin contributed materials for the collaborative digital collection Lorenzo de Zavala Online: Empresario, Statesman, and Texas Revolutionary. Materials include correspondence or writings from Lorenzo de Zavala, Jose Antonio Mexia, Valentin Gomez Farias, Crescencio Rejon, General Adrian Woll, Baradere, de Valle, Gomez Pedraza, Vicente Filisola, and Carlos Maria Bustamente. This project is supported in part by Humanities Texas, the state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities.Added: May 2009.
With origins in Germany, Hungary, Russia, Italy, and Denmark this collection of banknotes, vouchers, and coupons from 1915 to 1925 came from the tumultuous times of World War I and its aftermath. Many of the items are intricately illustrated with vivid colors and images. This collection is presented by the Howard Payne University Library.Added: May 2014.
After the discovery of oil in the West Texas town, Borger quickly established itself as a boomtown, attracting oil men, prospectors, gamblers and bootleggers. Hutchinson County Library presents its collection of the Borger Daily Herald newspaper that documents the rapid growth and activity of Borger and the surrounding area, 1927-1941.Added: October 2011.
The Bosque County Historical Commision presents its collection of glass plate negatives relating to Bosque County history. The collection consists of over 50 glass plate negatives that include images of parade floats, families, the Bosque River Flood, and agriculture.Added: March 2012.
In 1916, Mildred Paxton, Raymond Foy and Horace Blackwell initiated and promoted the idea of a weekly student paper at Hardin-Simmons University. The Brand began weekly publication on October 13, 1916. Foy and Blackwell sold advertising to support the project. The class of 1917 donated a printing press to the college for Brand use. This collection features issues from 1916-1989.Added: June 2010.
The Breckenridge Public Library in Stephens County presents the Breckenridge Daily American newspaper, 1922-1940. The Breckenridge Daily American with its sensational headlines kept the town of Breckenridge informed of international and national events as well as local news and gossip. The newspaper documents Breckenridge's thriving development and commerce during the twentieth century. Other newspapers from the Breckenridge Public Library are the Breckenridge Weekly Democrat (1926-1933), the Stephens County Sun (1933-1940), and the junior and senior high school newspaper published by the journalism students, The Dynamo (1932-1939).Added: January 2010.
The Breckenridge Public Library in Stephens County presents the Breckenridge Weekly Democrat . This paper, established around 1899 by E. W. Davenport, was published by Breckenridge American Pub. Co. - also the publisher of the Breckenridge [Daily] American. Similar to the Breckenridge [Daily] American , the Weekly Democrat served up sensational headlines but on a weekly basis. This is one of five newspapers from the Breckenridge Public Library, the others being: The Breckenridge [Daily] American, the Stephens County Sun, the Stephens County Times, and The Dynamo.Added: September 2010.
The Brenham Weekly Banner, a newspaper opposed to the Civil War Reconstruction, was edited by "Colonel" John G. Rankin, a veteran of the Confederate Army. The paper ran from 1877 to 1907. By 1897, it circulated every Thursday to over 1,300 readers. At that time, the paper spanned eight pages, each 15 by 22 inches, at the same subscription rate. In 1907, Rankin suspended the Brenham Weekly Banner, which was succeeded by the weekly Brenham Banner; all the while he oversaw the Brenham Daily Banner as well. Six years later, in 1913, the various editions of the Banner merged with the Brenham Daily Press, an arrangement that continues to the present.Added: September 2010.
Will Mayes began publishing the Brownwood Bulletin as a daily in 1900 after purchasing the two 19th century weeklies, the Brownwood Banner and the Brownwood Bulletin. The paper continues to serve Brownwood, Texas to this day. The collection is presented by Howard Payne University.Added: August 2014.
Building the African-American Community is a collection of photographs and texts largely from the Jacob Fontaine Religious Museum, a museum dedicated to preserving Austin’s African-American cultural history. The museum was named for Jacob Fontaine, who was born a slave in 1808 and served the community as a minister. He established several churches, a newspaper (the Gold Dollar), taught school, and established a grocery store and laundry. The collection includes photographs of church parishioners, families, students, weddings, church groups, and more from Austin’s African-American community.Added: May 2014.
The history of newspaper publishing in Burleson begins almost as early as the city of Burleson. Sometime in 1900, Burleson businessman E.M. “Good Roads” Wilson (1872-1956) began publishing The Burleson News. In 1932 Wilson sold the paper to Robert Garland Knox Deering and John Searcy. In 1958, the newspaper became The Burleson Dispatcher, and the final edition was printed on September 25, 1985. The Burleson Star began publication in October of 1965 with Al White as publisher, who was also the publisher of the Johnson County News in Cleburne.Added: July 2016.
Four generations of photographers – all named Byrd Williams – documented more than 100 years of North Texas history with their work. Now, the UNT Libraries have acquired their collection, consisting of over 10,000 prints and 300,000 negatives. The materials include commercial and studio photography, western landscapes, documentary studies, and fine art photography. Family correspondence, artifacts, and a collection of cameras were also donated by Byrd Williams IV.Added: June 2014.
The Clyde Barrow Gang Collection comes from our partners at the Dallas Municipal Archives. View photos of Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, along with numerous mug shots, fingerprint cards, wanted notices, and images of their bullet-ridden car.Added: February 2010.