Collections - M
In tribute to James Mobley, publisher of the Cedar Hill Citizen, The Portal to Texas History has digitized and made his newspaper publicly accessible. Mobley and his wife, Pat, have been strong supporters of public access to educational research materials for the greater good of the community, and he published the Cedar Hill Citizen newspaper from 1971-1974.Added: January 2015.
This map collection from the University of Texas at Arlington features more than 5,000 maps that document the greater Southwest. The collection includes maps dating from 1493 to the present and features noted cartographers.Added: October 2009.
The Marfa Public Library contributes its collection of photographs that document the local history of Marfa and the surrounding area. Images include photographs of many families, including the Crosson, Contrera, Cordova, Chavarria, Campos, Cline, Love, Vasquez, Porter, Jordan, and Rivera families. Also featured are photos of the ghost town of Shafter, and pictures of the set for the movie "Giant."Added: March 2011.
The Mary (Mrs. Anson) Jones Letters features a large collection of personal letters from the University of Houston Libraries' Special Collections dated between 1866 to 1882, discussing local affairs, family and friends. After Anson Jones's death, there were issues relating to land claims and taxes on land owned by the family. The bulk of the letters are to Mary Jones's son, Cromwell Anson Jones.Added: May 2009.
Lambshead Ranch, one of Texas' most historic cattle ranches, is still owned and operated by the direct descendants of Judge J.A. and Sallie Reynolds Matthews, the author of the chronicle, Interwoven. The Reynolds and Matthews were pioneer ranchers and trail drivers who arrived in East Texas in the 1850's and at the Clear Fork of the Brazos River in 1866. The photographs document ranching history, ranching practices and changes in the land.Added: December 2009.
Representing sixteen titles, the McKinney Democrat-Gazette Collection on the Portal to Texas History spans 54 years, from 1880-1934. Published from 1884 to 1906, The Democrat comprises the bulk of the McKinney titles, of which nearly the entire run is available.Added: November 2011.
The McMurry University Library presents their collection of photographs of the college's people, organizations, activities, and campus buildings. The photographs span the college's history from its opening day to the present. McMurry University first opened its doors in September of 1923 in Abilene, Texas. Their mission is to provide a Christian liberal arts and professional education that prepares students for a fulfilling life of leadership and service.Added: January 2015.
The McMurry Oral History Collection consists of video interviews of alumni and professors of McMurry University about their experiences at McMurry during the time they were associated with the university. These oral history videos are a part of a larger collection of oral histories, many of them in audio format, which began to be collected at McMurry in the early 1980s.Added: June 2015.
The Totem yearbook, 1924-2006, for McMurry College in Abilene, Texas, is the University yearbook, presenting a record of student and campus life during the previous academic year. Included are photographs, formal and candid, of students, faculty, administrators, staff, student organizations, social clubs, athletic teams, Homecoming, and other special events. The Totem is published annually.Added: May 2009.
Southwestern University’s student newspaper began in 1907 when students came before the faculty asking for their support in starting a student newspaper. The first issues were published during the week of commencement as The Commencement Daily, and this merged into a weekly publication the next year. The Megaphone reflects campus life as well as Georgetown and Williamson County events and activities, especially during the early years when town and gown were indistinguishable.Added: April 2014.
The Mercedes Area Newspapers Collection represents newspapers that have served the residents of Mercedes, Hidalgo County, Texas, through a partnership with the Dr. Hector P. Garcia Memorial Library. Located in the Rio Grand Valley in southeastern Hidalgo County, the town of Mercedes was officially incorporated in 1909, although a town known as Mercedes had been established in 1904.Added: March 2015.
Through a collaboration with the Meridian Library and the Tocker Foundation, these original issues of the Meridian Tribune, starting in 1886, are now being preserved. Meridian is the county seat of Bosque County. It was founded in 1854 and named for the ninety-eighth meridian which was incorrectly believed to pass nearby.Added: November 2013.
The town of Mexia, Texas was named for the Mexia family who received a land grant that included the site of the town in 1833. The town was formed in 1870 and settlement began when the Houston and Texas Central Railway was completed in 1871. The Mexia Newspaper Collection on The Portal to Texas History represents Mexia, Texas starting in 1902. It is presented by the Gibbs Memorial Library.Added: February 2013.
The Houston Public Library's Mexican American Family and Photo Collection reflects a wide range of families and individuals through photographs and documents that capture business and work experiences, festivals and community events, daily life and individual achievements. Some examples include: the 1928 Rice Institute graduation photo of Primitivo L. Nino; 1940s photographs of the Rusk Settlement House for Mexican-American Immigrants; photographs of workers and working conditions, students, educational, and church events.Added: February 2014.
The University of Texas at El Paso and the El Paso Public Library present a collection of primary source items relating to the Mexican Revolution. The collection includes 15 books and 10 postcards dating from 1910 to 1919.Added: March 2012.
Spanning multiple titles and representing Wood County, Texas, the Mineola Newspaper Collection depicts the rich center of publishing that was Mineola, Texas, at the turn of the century. When two railroad lines, the Texas and Pacific and the International Great-Northern, competed to reach Mineola in 1873, the International Great-Northern won by reaching the town fifteen minutes before its competitor.Added: October 2012.
The Miniature Book Collection presents a small selection of tiny treasures from the holdings of the University of North Texas Libraries' Rare Book Room. These miniature books, 4" (10 cm) tall or smaller, include both contemporary and historical works. In some cases, only the covers have been digitized.Added: December 2009.
Northeast Texas was originally inhabited by Caddo Indian tribes. By the 1830s pioneers began to arrive and settle in what is now Mount Pleasant. The name is attributed to the Caddo Indian burial mounds and their reference to the area as “Pleasant Mound.” By 1850 the settlement was given the name Mount Pleasant and was considered the seat of area government.Added: August 2016.
The Museum of the Gulf Coast collection contains over 400 photographs and postcards depicting Jefferson, Harris, and Orange counties from the 1890's to the present day. Musical performance photographs include Glenn Wells, Jesse James and His Boys, Johnny Winter, Tex Ritter, the Boogie Kings, and many more. Other images display various people and places such as Spindletop, Texaco refineries, parades, and beaches.Added: April 2012.