Collections - N
The National Museum of the Pacific War/Admiral Nimitz Foundation presents their Oral History Collection. It contains transcripts of interviews with World War II veterans who discuss their personal experiences in the war; including, the Doolittle Raid, D-Day, and the Battle for Bataan.Added: July 2012.
The Neal Douglass Photography Collection comes from the Austin History Center, Austin Public Library. Douglass, a photojournalist for the Austin American-Statesman, also maintained his own studio. The collection is an invaluable resource of information illustrating many aspects of Austin life during the years, 1930-1969, a period poorly represented by other existing Austin History Center Collections. Specific events, cultural aspects of life, and former buildings and customs are depicted in photographs that comprise the collection.Added: February 2009.
The Neu Braunfelser Zeitung began publication in 1852, and was one of the earliest German-language newspapers in Texas. The paper was begun to advertise the town and attract new immigrants. It is presented here courtesy of the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History.Added: August 2012.
Part of a land grant from Spain to Moses Austin, the town of Bryan, Texas was originally settled and founded in 1821. After a period of rapid growth following the expansion of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad to the town after 1867 several newspapers competed for the area's readership. The Bryan Eagle weekly paper was begun by Richard M. Smith in 1889. A daily edition, The Bryan Daily Eagle, began publishing in 1895. The Eagle was joined with the Brazos Pilot, founded in 1877, and became the Bryan Daily Eagle and Pilot in 1909. It was published as the Bryan Morning Eagle from 1989 to 1909 and The Bryan Daily Eagle from 1895 to 1898 and 1918 to 1969.Added: May 2014.
Nocona, Texas is located in Montague County. The town was named for Peta Nocona, Comanche Chief and husband to Cynthia Ann Parker. Settlement began in the 1870's when William Broaddus and D. C. Jordan established a ranch near the present townsite. Construction of the town began when the Gainesville, Henrietta and Western Railway extended a rail line to the area in 1887. The Nocona News began publishing in 1905 serving the town and greater Montague County. The weekly paper is still in press to this day.Added: July 2014.
The Norman Dietel Photograph Collection is presented by the LBJ Museum of San Marcos and document Lyndon Johnson and family at the LBJ Ranch in Stonewall, Texas (his home from 1951-1973, Lady Bird's until 2007). The photos cover major events, including the historic diplomatic visit by West German Chancellor Adenauer in 1961, meeting with foreign ambassadors from Mexico and India, the 1960 campaign of Kennedy and Johnson, birthday celebrations, President Johnson press conferences, education legislation signing ceremonies, national/state park dedications, LBJ's funeral ceremony, and dedication of Otto Lindig's historic lime kiln.Added: August 2012.
The student newspaper for the University of North Texas was first published in 1916 under the title The Campus Chat. By the late 1940s the paper was distributed on a semi-weekly basis and in 1970 the name was changed to The North Texas Daily.Added: March 2011.
The North Texas History Harvest was a community history project conducted by the University of North Texas and the Denton County Office of History and Culture which invited the residents of Denton, Texas to bring items of historical significance to be digitized. The digitized items included photographs and text.Added: May 2014.
The Northern Standard, from Clarksville, TX collection comes from our partners at the Dolph Briscoe Center for American History. The Northern Standard was a pioneer-era Texas newspaper that was published from August 20, 1842 to December 6, 1888. Edited and published by Colonel Charles Demorse, each issue contained the phrase "Long shall our banner brave the breeze, the standard of the free."Added: April 2012.
Nortion's Union Intelligencer was a weekly paper published in Dallas between 1867 and 1898 by Anthony Banning Norton. An Ohioan by birth, Norton moved to Texas in 1855 and was elected a representative in the Texas legislature. He was a staunch Unionist and supported Sam Houston for governor in 1859. Like many Unionists, Norton left Texas during the Civil War but he returned in 1865, settling in Dallas. He published the Union Intelligencer there until his death.Added: August 2014.