Collections - S
Established in 1897 by John J. Rhodes, the San Angelo Press initially billed itself as the Stock Growers & Breeders Journal. It focused on providing news and information on stockbreeding, farming, the home, and industry. Digitization was funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities as part of the "Chronicling America" project.Added: October 2010.
The San Antonio Express was first published in 1865, taking its name from the Alamo Express, a Union newspaper whose press had been destroyed by secession sympathizers in 1861. H. Pollman and Augus Siemering began the paper as a weekly, changing it to a daily in 1866. The paper is still in print today as the San Antonio Express-News.Added: July 2014.
Established by Joseph Walker in 1850, the San Antonio Ledger was one of many newspapers owned by Walker until his death in 1886. The San Antonio Ledger hosted one particularly prominent series of articles, written by José Antonio Navarro, which discussed relationship between San Antonio and the royal Spanish government he saw in his youth.Added: October 2011.
The San Antonio Light was originally published as a daily newspaper. In different incarnations, the newspaper was continually published until 1992, when the Hearst Corporation announced that it would close the Light unless it could find a buyer for the property in which it was housed. The paper ceased publication shortly after this announcement.Added: October 2011.
This was the city's second African-American weekly newspaper. Founded by Valmo C. Bellinger, it began printing in 1931, running without interruption for 47 years. Though its initial goal was preserving the political influence of Bellinger's father, Charles, the paper later focused on local, state, and national news of specific concern San Antonio's African-American community.Added: May 2014.
These issues include multiple regional titles, including the Texas State University student newspaper, The Star, the San Marcos Free Press, the San Marcos Cresset, the San Marcos Times, the San Marcos Leader, and the Hays County Times & Farmers' Journal. Funding provided by a Rescuing Texas grant.Added: May 2016.
In 1873, Issac H. Julian relocated from Indiana to San Marcos. After having published a newspaper in Eastern Indiana for 14 years, Julian quickly bought the only existing paper in Hays County, and eventually it morphed into the San Marcos Free Press. Funding provided by the National Endowment for the Humanities as part of the Chronicling America project.Added: April 2013.
Originally named after Saint Patrick by Irish Catholic settlers in the 1820s, San Patricio County is now a part of the wider Corpus Christi area. These issues represent the communities of Sinton, Taft, Mathis, Odem, and Aransas Pass, and it encompasses multiple titles, including the Taft Tribune and the San Patricio County News. Funding provided by a Tocker Foundation grant.Added: March 2016.
The San Saba County News is a weekly newspaper that includes local, state, and national news along with advertising. It was formerly known as San Saba News prior to 1892. Digitization was funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities as part of the "Chronicling America" project.Added: May 2014.
On New Year's Day 1873, at a time when Indian raids frequently visited the region, the San Saba County News debuted as the first newspaper in West Texas. Col. William T. Melton paper quickly became known as the San Saba News and began circulating beyond the county lines to areas bereft of local journalism.Added: September 2010.
The San Saba Weekly News is a weekly newspaper that served the town of San Saba in San Saba County. The newspaper ran in 1885 an 1886 and included local, state, and national news as well as advertising. Digitization was funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities as part of the "Chronicling America" project.Added: May 2014.
The Schulenburg Sticker has documented the history of the Schulenberg since 1899, when it was started by W.R. King, a prominent Schulenburg citizen whose writing skills assisted other early town historians. These issues represent nearly 30 years of the town's rich Czech and German heritage.Added: October 2011.
These archival issues of Scouting Magazine date back to 1913. The magazine is written for Boy Scout leaders, officials, and others interested in the work of the Scouts. It includes articles about events and activities, updates from the national headquarters, topical columns and essays, and news from various chapters nationwide.Added: December 2012.
Seguiner Zeitungwas a weekly German language newspaper published in Seguin in Guadalupe County. The paper began as the Waechter which was published in the late 1880's but changed its name to the Seguiner Zeitung after a year. The newspaper remained in print until 1932.Added: September 2014.
Situated in West Texas, Seminole is famous as a top producer of cotton, peanuts, and oil and gas. The Seminole Sentinel has been in publication since 1907. Preservation and digitization has been generously supported by the Tocker Foundation.Added: May 2014.
The Seymour News is a weekly newspaper published in Seymour in Baylor County. The newspaper was established by George Patton Barber and ran for 14 years under his leadership. It included local, state, and national news as well as advertising.Added: May 2014.
The Sherman Daily Register began October 20, 1885 as an independent publication and continued through 1906. The paper was published each evening, except Sunday for 75¢ per month. This daily newspaper included local, state and national news along with extensive advertising.Added: March 2011.
Charles M. Ward established the Shiner Gazette in 1893 as a Democratic newspaper in Shiner, and it's still in publication today. These issues were digitized through the National Endowment for the Humanities as part of the "Chronicling America" project.Added: September 2010.
These issues represents the history of both the city of Silsbee and include Woodrow, the Big Thicket National Preserve, and other significant historical areas in Hardin County. The Silsbee Bee was established in 1919, and it represents a community with diversified economic interests, including in railroad, timber, and oil. Funded by a Tocker Foundation grant.Added: May 2016.
Initially published in 1911, The Snyder Signal actively promoted a Christian way of life. It combined with the Scurry County Times and later morphed into the Snyder Daily News, which continues to this day, serving the West Texas town of Snyder and surrounding Scurry County. Funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities as part of the "Chronicling America" project.Added: March 2013.
The South Belt/Ellington Leader has been publishing a weekly newspaper continuously since February of 1976. The Leader is free of charges and is distributed in stores and public places within its service area in southeast Houston and has always been owned by people living and working in the South Belt area. Funded by a Rescuing Texas History grant.Added: May 2016.
Published in Port Aransas since 1971, the South Jetty represents coastal Texas news and photographs, along with full-color summer visitors' guides to document marine wildlife, area tourism, and local attractions. It has been funded through the support of a Ladd and Katherine Hancher Foundation grant.Added: May 2014.
This Austin publication released its first issue on August 19th, 1856. From its founding until the Civil War, the newspaper was an antisecessionist, pro-Union platform, published by William Baker and Irving Root. Funded by the Texas State Library and Archives Commission through the TexTreasures Early Texas Newspapers program.Added: October 2011.
In 1892, the Southern Mercury began, becoming the official journal of the Texas Farmers Alliance by 1886 under the supervision of editor E.G. Rust. Through a name change, political conflict over gubernatorial candidates in the early 1890s, and multiple layout changes, the newspaper was a highly influential reform journal in the Southwest until 1908.Added: October 2011.
Gene Lee founded the Southwest Chinese Journal in 1976. The Chinese language newspaper served the Chinese immigrant community of the Houston metropolitan area by distributing information about the needs of the community and the available local services and opportunities. The newspaper ran until 1985.Added: May 2014.
The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, continuously published since 1897 by the Texas State Historical Association, is the premier source of scholarly information about the history of Texas and the Southwest. This collection features issues from 1897-2004.Added: July 2010.
These photographs and documents pertain to Thomas Falconer, a British lawyer turned explorer and adventurer on the Texas frontier; Henry Matthews, an early Texas Methodist circuit rider; items related to Sam Houston; and more. Funding provided by the Institute of Museum & Library Services and the Texas State Library & Archives CommissionAdded: March 2015.
The Barrister’s News was the student paper for St. Mary’s University School of Law during the 1950s and 1960s. From its founding to the present, St. Mary's was the only law school in the greater San Antonio region. The paper contains scholarly writing and news related to the local legal community.Added: June 2014.
Located at the Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historic Site, this collection has an impressive variety of items that include furniture, clothing, buttons, farm implements, china, trade tokens, arrowheads, cooking utensils, and looms. The items date from the early 1700s to the late 1800s.Added: February 2012.
School annuals photographs and information about students, teachers, sports, school events and organizations in Stonewall County. The Aspermont Independent School District yearbooks collection contains volumes of various yearbooks through the years.Added: August 2010.
The Suburbia News is a weekly newspaper that proudly serves the cities of Balch Springs, Combine, Crandall and Seagoville. The inaugural issue appeared in November 1972 and has been published continuously since then. This weekly newspaper includes primarily local news and advertising.Added: August 2015.
The Sutherlin Family Collection, 1943-1946, features correspondence, photos, and other materials related to the military service of James E. Sutherlin. Jim was in the U.S. Navy in World War II, serving aboard the USS Kasaan Bay, CVE 69, in both the Atlantic Ocean and the South Pacific. He was a life member of the Escort Carrier Sailors and Airmen Association.Added: November 2009.
Since its beginnings in 1879 with the establishment of a post office, Sweetwater has served as a hub of transportation, ranching, and industry, and its newspaper has documented the ups and downs of this west Texas community. Digitization funded by a Tocker Foundation grant.Added: July 2012.