Collections - T
These six albums of clippings, photographs, memorabilia and copies of After Action reports and General Orders for the various division units detail the history of the 12th Armored Division during World War II and include activities of the association. The books were part of the informational display at the association yearly meetings.Added: August 2015.
This collaborative project consists of historic photographs and two-dimensional items representing the history and development of transportation and the travel industry. Included in the collection, but not limited to are railroads, vehicles, roads and road construction in the Central Texas area.Added: March 2012.
The T. B. Willis Photograph Collection comes from the private collection of T. B. Willis. It includes 648 historical photographs with albums, documents, and historical items from the Willis family and extended relatives who settled in Waco, Texas in the 19th century.Added: May 2014.
These digital copies are of materials that document local and state history, including images of businesses, cemeteries, churches, courthouses, lawmen, monuments, outlaws, schools, Native Americans, and early pioneers of Tarrant County.Added: May 2009.
Presented by the Abilene Public Library, the Taylor County News is a weekly newspaper created by James A. Lowry in 1885, four years after the city of Abilene was established. The newspaper includes local, state, and national news as well as advertising.Added: May 2014.
Published since 1959, The Taylor Press was begun by Frank W. Mayborn, and continued publication under this title until 1974, when it became The Taylor Daily Press. The Taylor Daily Press has been contributed to The Portal to Texas History through the support of the Ladd and Katherine Hancher Foundation.Added: August 2016.
Temple was founded in 1880, when Jonathan E. Moore sold 187 acres of land to the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway for use as a construction camp. When the Temple Daily Telegram began publishing in 1907, the city had already seen a succession of newspapers, including the Temple Tribune, which preceded it. The Telegram continues to serve the area to this day.Added: August 2014.
The Texas and Pacific Railroad Collection is comprised of historic photographs of Abilene, news clippings, and archives (including photographs, maps, timetables, and correspondence) from privately donated Texas and Pacific Railway archives. Located at the Grace Museum in Abilene, this collection chronicles the rise of the mighty railroad and its influence on West Texas’ evolution during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.Added: February 2017.
The Texas Almanac is the source for all things Texas since 1857, with the first edition issued by The Galveston News in January 1857. These issues go through 1989. The Almanac serves as a reference book on resources, industries, commerce, history, government, population, and other subjects relating to the political, civic, and economic development of Texas.Added: December 2010.
This ambitious project began in 1936 under the auspices of the Work Projects Administration (WPA) and continued until 1942, producing 24 inventories of Texas county archives. The idea was revived in 1973 with the formation of the Texas County Records Inventory Project (TCRIP) which surveyed county records until funding was discontinued in 1981. The inventories give information on the location, chronological and physical extent, state of preservation, and accessibility of various types of county records existing at the time of inventory.Added: May 2009.
The Texas Daily Newspaper Association was an organization devoted to promoting Texas newspapers for 91 years. In 2012, it merged with the Texas Press Association. The Texas Daily Newspaper Association's monthly electronic newsletter features news items of interest to association members.Added: May 2014.
The Texas Digital Newspaper Program (TDNP) partners with communities, publishers, and institutions to promote standards-based digitization of Texas newspapers and to make them freely accessible via The Portal to Texas History.Added: March 2009.
These photographs depict the Texas Folklife Festival, an annual event sponsored by the University of Texas at San Antonio's Institute of Texan Cultures that celebrates the many ethnicities represented in the state of Texas. Thousands attend the three-day event each year, which features cultural foods, dances, and musical performances.Added: July 2012.
This 22-volume set includes historical and genealogical accounts and records for Ellis County, both original and transcriptions. The records contain various lists of records such as births, deaths, marriages, etc., taken from family Bibles, cemetery and church records, wills, and other relevant sources.Added: August 2010.
Bishop Thomas J. Drury established the Texas Gulf Coast Register, predecessor to the South Texas Catholic, in May 1966 as the official organ for the Diocese of Corpus Christi, which at that time covered the area south of a line running from Corpus Christi to Laredo. The newspaper’s name was changed to the Texas Gulf Coast Catholic in 1970 and eventually to the South Texas Catholic in 1980.Added: February 2017.
One of the few historical journals in the nation dedicated to publishing the work of secondary students, this magazine contains the writings of Texas's outstanding student historians and features news and events involving Junior Historian chapters and participants.Added: February 2014.
The Texas Jewish Post, an English-language newspaper that carried some items in Hebrew, was originally a monthly publication; it subsequently evolved into a biweekly and then a weekly. Local columns updated readers on special events, gatherings, professional achievements, and family news in the Dallas and Fort Worth areas.Added: October 2011.
The Texas Laws and Resolutions Archive consists of legislative bills that were filed with the Office of the Texas Secretary of State - Statutory Documents beginning with the 78th Legislative Session. All bills, joint resolutions, and concurrent resolutions passed by the Texas Legislature, including those vetoed by the Governor, are included.Added: August 2011.
As the official publication of the Parks and Wildlife Department, this magazine is dedicated to the conservation and enjoyment of Texas fish, game, parks, waters, and all outdoors. Each issue is packed with photographs and articles about outdoor recreation. This pilot project provides access to all of the Texas Parks and Wildlife issues published in 1965.Added: August 2009.
The Texas Patents collection consists of United States patents filed by Texas inventors before 1900. A majority of the patents are for agricultural and industrial applications, such as seeding machines, harvesters, plows, wind and water propellers, and steam engines. Other inventions include timekeepers, remedies and firearms.Added: December 2011.
With its premiere issue published on April 18, 1896, the Texas Posten was the first Swedish language newspaper printed in Texas. The longest-surviving Swedish-Texan newspaper, it closed its doors in 1982 after nearly 100 years of publication. The 1896-1902 issues of the Texas Posten were digitized through the generous support of Texas Cultures Online.Added: February 2012.
Though it lasted only 14 years, The Texas Ranger thrived during the period between the Annexation of Texas and the Civil War and provides valuable information on the history of Central Texas. This newspaper is part of the Early Texas Newspapers project funded by a TexTreasures grant from the Texas State Library and Archives Commission.Added: November 2009.
Published weekly, the Texas Register records state agency rule making and review actions, governor's appointments, attorney general opinions, requests for proposals, and other miscellaneous documents. This archive provides free access to all issues of the Texas Register from Volume 1, No. 1 (January 6, 1976) to the present.Added: May 2010.
Decisions of the Supreme Court of the State of Texas since 1846. They provide a fascinating legal standpoint and vibrant cultural and political views of Texas through its history as part of the U.S. and the Confederacy. Of special interest are the Reconstruction-era volumes which illuminate changes in the Court under the unpopular Constitution of 1869.Added: May 2009.
The Texas Society, Sons of the American Revolution (TXSSAR) Archive contains materials donated by TXSSAR State Organizations, TXSSAR Local Chapters, and TXSSAR members and their families. It covers over a century of materials, from bound volumes of original membership applications through current board of managers meeting minutes.Added: April 2016.
The Texas Soil Surveys demonstrate early scientific thought regarding soil classification and use. Each survey consists of a soil map and separate book. The maps show many cultural features in the landscape such as businesses, churches, schools, mills, gins, and ferries. The collection embraces all Texas county and reconnaissance soil surveys completed prior to 1950.Added: May 2009.
This paper was one of the most influential newspapers in Texas from the pre-Civil War era until Reconstruction. It was known for its strong states'-rights positions and as a voice of the state Democratic Party, a reputation it established during political battles with Sam Houston in the turbulent times before secession.Added: November 2009.
Since 1917, the Texas State Historical Association is the state’s longest-running publisher of books on Texas history. It has established a reputation as a publisher of high-quality, award-winning books on a wide variety of topics, including exploration, biography, architecture, historic sites, high school football, labor unions, and suburbanization.Added: March 2013.
First published by John S. Ford in 1853, The Texas State Times actively supported Unionist candidates during the decade prior to the Civil War. Ford lost heart for pro-Union support when he believed that Sam Houston no longer supported Southern institutions. In 1857, the paper was sold and its title changed to the Texas Sentinel, which continued publication until 1858.Added: August 2012.
The Texas Tech University Rawls College of Business Alumni Magazine Archive represents over 30 years of college history. The Alumni Newsletter, and later the Alumni Magazine, have functioned as primary communication tools between the Rawls College of Business and its past students.Added: March 2014.
Trends, The Journal of The Texas Art Education Association is published annually and is distributed to all TAEA members. The purpose of this peer-reviewed journal is to expand art education discourse by highlighting research, issues, and concerns that can inform our theoretical and pedagogical practices in and out of the classroom.Added: November 2012.
These archives include the school newspaper, catalogs, and yearbooks, presenting a record of student and campus life. It includes information about the university, students, professors, sports, and organizations as well as photographs of students, faculty, administrators, staff, student organizations, social clubs, athletic teams, Homecoming, and other special events.Added: January 2012.
The Texas-Mexican Presbytery Records collection includes a large range of photographs depicting church buildings, groups, and portraits. These materials relate to the founding, organization, operation, and dissolution of the Texas-Mexican Presbytery of the Synod of Texas.Added: May 2012.
These issues from the weekly version of the Times represent Temple shortly after its time of settlement in 1880, when it was a railroad construction camp called "Temple Junction" by the company. These newspapers go up to 1923, representing growth in population from a railroad camp to a railway hub for the Santa Fe and Missouri, Kansas, and Texas lines.Added: February 2015.
These issues represent Temple shortly after its time of settlement in 1880, when it was a railroad construction camp called "Temple Junction" by the company. The newspapers go up to 1923, representing growth in population from a railroad camp to a railway hub for the Santa Fe and Missouri, Kansas, and Texas lines.Added: February 2015.
These weekly issues of The Times represent Temple shortly after its time of settlement in 1880, when it was a railroad construction camp, named "Temple Junction" by the company. The newspapers go up to 1923, representing growth in population from a railroad camp to a railway hub for the Santa Fe and Missouri, Kansas, and Texas lines.Added: February 2015.
Theodore Schmidt was a member of the first class of students who enrolled in Lutheran Concordia College, a boys’ high school in Austin, in 1926. These images, shared by his daughter, depict his time at the school as well as notable places in Austin and the surrounding areas.Added: February 2015.
The Tiger was the student newspaper for St. Philip’s College (SPC), a member of the Alamo Colleges in San Antonio. Currently, SPC serves over 18,000 credit and continuing education students. Published from 1936 until 2009, the paper is a valuable resource with information related to higher education in Texas. Funded by a Rescuing Texas History grant.Added: November 2015.
Timpson is a small rural community in the northwest corner of Shelby County. The Timpson local high school teachers and genealogists created the this newspaper collection to provide local history to students of all ages. The Tocker Foundation funded access to these newspapers.Added: May 2016.
Includes any collections funded by the Tocker Foundation, which supports small public libraries in Texas that serve populations of 12,000 and under. The purpose of the Tocker Foundation is to distribute funds principally for the support, encouragement, and assistance to small rural libraries in Texas.Added: March 2009.
This publication, The Tracings spans the years 1982 to 2002. Each issue contains research material and relevant Anderson County Geneological Society information including generation charts, family histories, and lists of birth, death, and church records.Added: March 2011.
These nearly 600 photographs document the extension services in Austin’s African-American community during the mid-20th century. The collection depicts an era of Austin history that, due to its urbanization, exists only in photographs and in memory.Added: November 2014.
The Tulia Herald documents the history of the West Texas town of Tulia. The weekly newspaper contains, local, national and world news, stories, illustrations, poetry, jokes, and advertisements. Funding for this project was provided by the Tocker Foundation.Added: March 2009.
These photos depict the life of the 12th Armored Division during WWII, many taken by the soldiers as they transitioned from training at Camp Barkeley to fighting in Europe, where they fought the German Army and helped liberate concentration camps. Funded by grants from the Community Foundation of Abilene and the Texas State Library and Archives Commission.Added: February 2014.
The Twice-a-Week Herald began publishing in 1887 in Amarillo in Potter County. The semi-weekly newspaper was published each Tuesday and Friday until it ceased publication in 1906. It featured local, state, and national news in addition to advertising.Added: May 2014.
Published as the Daily Courier and Times from 1907 to 1911, the Tyler Daily Courier Times continued publication under this title until it was absorbed in 1936 to be published as a sister afternoon newspaper to the Tyler Morning Telegraph. The Courier-Times has survived under various owners and titles and is still being published today.Added: October 2011.