Explore 377 Partners Matching
The Abilene Christian Library is ACU's resource for scholarly Christian communication, innovative technology, and interdisciplinary creativity. The main hub is Brown Library, which provides a wealth of digital resources for students and faculty alike.Joined: March 2009.
The Abilene Library Consortium (ALC) is a regional nonprofit organization in Abilene that provides support and resources to libraries, museums, and information organizations. The ALC contributes thousands of photos, print materials, maps, newspapers, and more.Joined: July 2014.
The Abilene Philharmonic has been enriching the cultural life of the “Big Country” in West Central Texas since 1950. Today, music director and conductor David Itkin leads the orchestra in world class performances that draw audiences from more than 50 Texas cities.Joined: August 2015.
The Abilene Public Library is the primary information and resource center for Abilene and Taylor County, offering more than 300,000 volumes and numerous library services are available to the public. Services range from Internet access and on-line databases to large type materials and children's reading programs.Joined: May 2009.
Created in 1958, this institution has grown into an architectural research center of national importance. A unit of the Architecture and Planning Library in the University of Texas Libraries, it supports exploration of the history of the built environment by acquiring and preserving research collections and making them accessible.Joined: April 2015.
Chartered in 1978 as a result of action by the Alvin Bicentennial Commission, the Society is housed in a remodeled former post office building. It contains 21 permanent exhibits that explore the development of Alvin from its beginnings as an 1879 Santa Fe railroad loading site to its growth into a diverse Gulf Coast community.Joined: September 2015.
Named after the creator of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Amon Carter Museum of American Art offers an array of exhibitions, publications, and programs that connect visitors to masterworks of American art. The Museum opened in 1961.Joined: May 2009.
Located in East Texas, the Anderson County Genealogical Society contributes archival materials that contain genealogical information including generation charts, family histories, and lists of records (births, deaths, church records, etc.) that document the people and growth of Anderson County.Joined: July 2009.
Originally part of David G. Burnet's colony, the county formed in 1846 and named after Kenneth L. Anderson, Vice President of the Republic of Texas from 1844 until annexation. The Commission provides materials for the Rescuing Texas History project, including images of local citizens, businesses, and homes.Joined: May 2009.
The mission of the Library is to enrich, entertain, and inform the citizens of Archer County through access to its collections, technologies, facilities, and services. In furtherance of this mission, the Archer Public Library received a Tocker Foundation grant to make materials available to the public.Joined: August 2015.
The Archives of the Big Bend seek to preserve, arrange, and make available the University archive, manuscript collection, books, and other research resources that pertain to the area west of the Pecos River and east of present-day El Paso County in Texas as well as the areas of northern Mexico.Joined: May 2009.
The Archives document the past events of the Central Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church, an annual gathering of Methodist churches across Texas to disperse information and plan philanthropic mission efforts.Joined: July 2009.
Housed within the Fielder House, a two-story community landmark built in 1914 and one of the earliest brick homes in Arlington. Originally called The Cemetery Society at its founding in 1887, its mission has been to gather and preserve historical materials relating to the founding and growth of the city.Joined: December 2013.
The first official Arlington Public Library began in 1923 and has since rapidly expanded to include six branches. They hold over 600,000 items and strive to provide the best resources for their community and to open doors to a world of information, ideas, and imagination.Joined: October 2009.
Located in the Texas Panhandle in the town of Claude, this West Texas county has a rich history that has been preserved at the Armstrong County Museum. The museum complex contains the historic Gem Theatre, and art gallery, and the house of famous cattle rancher and "Father of the Texas Panhandle" Charles Goodnight.Joined: November 2011.
Named after the Georgia capital, Atlanta was founded in 1871 by the Texas and Pacific Railway in the northeast corner of Texas. Atlanta offers convenient access to cultural, educational, historical and recreational activities, and was the birthplace of Bessie Coleman, the first African-American and Native American female pilot.Joined: February 2013.
Founded in 1849, this private liberal arts college first opened its doors in Huntsville and is the oldest institution of higher education in Texas still operating under its original name and charter. The college moved to Sherman following three yellow fever epidemics, the Civil War, and financial troubles.Joined: May 2009.
As the local history division of the Austin Public Library, the Austin History Center collects and preserves information about local governments, businesses, residents, institutions, and neighborhoods so that generations to come will have access to Austin history.Joined: May 2009.
The archives contained within the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary collect materials that document Presbyterianism in the Southwest. They specifically house items such as pastoral records, congregational histories and organizational records.Joined: October 2011.
Situated in the Bandera County seat of Bandera, the Library maintains membership as a Lone Star Digital Library to support digital downloads of reading materials for its patrons. The Library received a 2014 Tocker Foundation grant to digitize its community newspaper on The Portal to Texas History.Joined: November 2015.
Located in Bartlett between Williamson and Bell counties, the Center and Society preserve the historical building that houses them and the history of the community. Bartlett was founded when the Katy Railroad started its survey in 1881 and became a major shipping point for cotton.Joined: February 2011.
Located 30 miles southwest of downtown Austin, Bastrop established its first library in 1852. It stands today is the product of numerous renovations and expansions over the years and contains a wealth of resources relating to town genealogy, history, and more. The Tocker Foundation provided funding.Joined: February 2012.
Located in Seymour, the library provides access and services to residents of the town and throughout the county. These include print and electronic resources; Internet access and training; exhibits; and events. The Friends of the Seymour Library Group assists the Library in multiple capacities.Joined: February 2015.
Bee County, located in the Rio Grande plain in South Central Texas, grew out of the early settlement of the area by Irish and Mexican settlers and the 19th-century cattle ranching that continues to this day. Bee County's history has been preserved through the work of the Commission as well as the Rescuing Texas History Project.Joined: February 2010.
The Library serves the Coastal Bend of Texas. It is dedicated to the free and open access to materials, programs, and services, providing these services in a friendly, timely and efficient manner to all citizens. Notable contributions include images of the 1919 hurricane and photos of a President Taft's visit to a local ranch in 1909.Joined: July 2010.
The Bellaire Historical Society is a nonprofit organization that serves the town of Bellaire near Houston in Harris County. Their purpose is to preserve, maintain, restore, and display materials from bygone eras of the town's history.Joined: April 2014.
The Archives are dedicated to preserving memorabilia from the past and present pertaining to the Beth-El Congregation, a Fort Worth reform synagogue as well as its its members, activities, and the involvement of Jews in the local community. The Archives document the history of the local Jewish community dating back to the late 1850s.Joined: March 2009.
The Bicentennial City County Library serves Cottle County from the county seat of Paducah and offers a variety of holdings to its patrons. In collaboration with its publisher, Jimmye Taylor, the Bicentennial City County Library applied for and received a 2015-2016 Tocker Foundation grant.Joined: May 2016.
The evolution of the Bonham Public Library began in 1901, when a public library was established as an outgrowth of a circulating library sponsored by the Current Literature Club. One hundred and fifteen years later the Library strives to meet the informational, educational, cultural and recreational needs of the Bonham community.Joined: August 2017.
The Commission is the official organization for carrying out the state preservation program at the local level. Their purpose is to preserve, mark, and encourage appreciation of the history in Bosque County. Materials include photos of early businesses and citizens, maps, and documents from Texas land agent and colonizer Jacob De Cordova.Joined: May 2009.
The Botanical Research Institute of Texas (BRIT) is an international scientific research and learning center focused on conservation and knowledge sharing. BRIT’s mission is to conserve our natural heritage by deepening our knowledge of the plant world and achieving public understanding of the value plants bring to life.Joined: October 2016.
The Bowie Public Library has existed since around 1920 when it was started by the Thursday Club. In 1972, the library memorialized a local public school teacher by renaming the building the Faye Ruth Shaw Memorial Library. It continues to serve residents through materials and various programs.Joined: November 2015.
The National Scouting Museum maintains a collection that chronicles the collective history of the Boy Scouts of America, and documents related organizations throughout the world. Ranging in scope from fine art to merit badges, the Museum's collections are used for exhibitions, research, and education.Joined: December 2012.
Located in Mineral Wells, the Library holds over 50,000 materials and is dedicated to providing free access and services for the community in a friendly and professional manner. Because of the work of the Boyce Ditto Public Library, residents of Palo Pinto County have access to books, online resources, events, and much more.Joined: May 2009.
The Breckenridge Library is a part of the Breckenridge Library and Fine Arts Foundation. It is a private library providing public services to Breckenridge, Stephens County and the surrounding area. The library occupies over 7500 square feet and containing more than 27,000 titles, staffed by two employees and many volunteers.Joined: January 2010.
Since 1982, the museum has made its mission the preservation of the region's history, telling the American story of the first Native American inhabitants, early pioneers, World War II and more. Run by a volunteer board, it operates under the oversight of a state-mandated county historical commission.Joined: August 2015.
Since 1971, when the Burleson Public Library opened its doors in the historic Renfro-Clark House in Burleson, it has sought to serve as a vital community center that provides materials and services to help community residents obtain information and engage in educationally beneficial activities.Joined: July 2016.
The Commission's purpose centers on preserving Burnet history on a local level. They make recommendations and placements for historical markers and historically significant property acquisitions. They also accept various museum items in the name of the county and support programs of the Texas Historical Commission.Joined: March 2012.
The Library and the Kerr Regional History Center serve as the primary information and resource centers for the city of Kerrville and the surrounding areas. These institutions provide access to the Internet and online databases including Ancestry.com, Newspaper Archive, and Family Search.Joined: September 2016.
Located in Yoakum, which spans Lavaca and Dewitt counties, the Library was organized in 1933 by the Philomathic Club with the help of Work Project Administration. The Library received historic site designation from the Texas Historical Commission in 1993. A Tocker Foundation grant aided in digitization efforts.Joined: November 2015.
The Carrollton Public Library strives to provide efficient access to information, educational materials, and services to sustain and inspire the community of Carrollton. The library contains a diverse collection that includes resources such as directories, genealogy materials, encyclopedias, IRS tax forms/publications, and college guides.Joined: February 2012.
The Carson County Library serves the Texas Panhandle towns of Groom, Panhandle, Skellytown, and White Deer. They provide valuable literary and educational materials to these residents. The Tocker Foundation provided support to the library for digitization of select historical materials.Joined: December 2014.
This U.S. Army library serves Fort Hood. The Library was memorialized in 1972 in honor of General George W. Casey, Sr., who was killed in Vietnam while visiting his wounded soldiers. The Library specializes in military and Texas history and operates with full services from computers to databases, books, periodicals, and media for all ages.Joined: October 2012.
This is the oldest and largest organization of its kind in the U.S. It first opened in 1980 to build public awareness and appreciation for ranching heritage. They relocated in 2009 to the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, and maintain a vast exhibition dedicated to preserving and celebrating the history of the cattle industry.Joined: May 2009.
The Library System serves the people of Chambers County. The Libraries play a unique role in the preservation of the county's history, including the preservation of newspapers and oral history interview transcriptions. The Rescuing Texas History grant helped fund digitization efforts.Joined: December 2014.
A state historical marker designates the Cherokeean Herald newspaper in Rusk as the state's oldest, continuously published weekly. The publication's rich roots were planted in 1850, when Texas had been a state for just four years. The content of the paper covered much of Alto's history and included creative poetry about the town.Joined: February 2015.
Since 1983, the Museum has recorded the history and preserved historical artifacts of the county, named after co-author of the Texas Declaration of Independence George C. Childress. The building that houses the Museum is of Spanish Colonial style and received Texas Historical Landmark designation in 1991.Joined: May 2009.
In the 20th century, Cistercian monks from Hungary made their way to Dallas, where they established the Cistercian Preparatory school in 1962. They built the school on a philosophy that combined academics with Christian faith, morality, and spirituality. Archival materials reflect the rich history of the institution.Joined: December 2013.
Nestled in Donley County in the Texas Panhandle, Clarendon grew out of the cattle ranching in the region during the 19th century. The town grew into the "Athens of the Panhandle" thanks to Clarendon College and the numerous churches in the area. The Tocker Foundation provided funds to digitize materials from the city.Joined: May 2009.
College Station, the home of the flagship campus of Texas A&M University, has kept records of the city's history through the Texas Historic Online Library Database (Project HOLD). The city was founded in 1938, 59 years after the university. Since 2002, the city has collected and preserved the history of the city.Joined: August 2013.
Beyond maintaining Denton's many parks and trails, City of Denton Parks and Recreation provides residents of the city with a wealth of activities. These include events for various celebrations, group exercises, lessons, after school care and more. The department provides recreation for Dentonites of all ages, including individuals and groups.Joined: February 2015.
The oldest settlement in Tarrant County, Grapevine was officially founded in 1844, the last year of the Republic of Texas before it was annexed by the United States of America. Through the years, its rich history has been preserved through oral histories, now contained in the Grapevine Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB).Joined: May 2015.
The Museum is located in one of the oldest surviving buildings in Van Horn. When Culberson County was first created, the museum site served as the first courthouse. It then served as a hotel for nearly 40 years. The Museum Association purchased the Hotel in 1979. The Rescuing Texas History grant aided with digitization.Joined: May 2009.
The Clay County Historical Society is dedicated to preserving the heritage of Clay County by collecting and displaying artifacts and historical materials, by maintaining a museum, and by conducting activities to promote awareness and education.Joined: May 2009.
The Cleng Peerson Research Library is part of the Bosque Museum located in Clifton in Bosque County. It provides research opportunities for historians, scholars, and genealogists interested in Northern European immigration in Texas and the Southwest.Joined: June 2016.
The Society documents Cleveland's history, growth, and culture. Cleveland was born out of the Santa Fe and Southern Pacific railroads running just north of Houston; logging and lumber mills were core to the town's development.Joined: February 2011.
Established in 1885, the Coleman Public Library is among the oldest publicly supported libraries in the state. Its mission rests on serving as a community center, providing technology, educational resources, and reading materials for the enjoyment and education of patrons.Joined: July 2015.
The Collin County Genealogical Society is located in Plano and is committed to helping researchers trace their genealogy through various educational programs and workshops. They lead the charge in helping record, preserve, and publish Collin County records.Joined: May 2009.
Collingsworth County lies in the eastern region of the Texas Panhandle in the town of Wellington. Since 1888, the Museum documented the culture and heritage of its people. The town was named after the first chief justice of the Republic of Texas and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, James Collinsworth.Joined: February 2012.
Originally founded as boys' high school Lutheran Concordia College in 1926, Concordia University is today a Christian college located in Northwest Austin. As it grew into a full-fledged university system, its history was documented in photographs and preserved for future generations of students and community member' use.Joined: May 2009.
In 1921, Cooke County officially established its public library, although the institution had been in development since 1899 when the XLI Club of Gainesville started a subscription library for $1.00 a year. They provide services to residents of all of Cooke County.Joined: February 2011.
The Museum collects and preserves objects that relate to the history of the city. They provide educational resources, children's exhibits, historical collections, and more in pursuit of encouraging exploration of the South Texas region's history and preservation of its unique culture. A Rescuing Texas History grant aided in preservation efforts.Joined: May 2009.
Located in the historic downtown district of Denton, the 1896 Courthouse-on-the-Square contains historical materials available for researchers. They also have outreach programs for schools, and house artifacts on the different aspects of Denton County, from folk art and weaponry to historic families in the county.Joined: May 2009.
The Crosby County Library serves the rural population of Crosbyton and the surrounding area. In 1988, the library moved from its location underneath the county courthouse and to its own facility, where it continues to hold materials that document the history and influence of this West Texas town.Joined: August 2012.
Started in 1979, the Cross Plains Public Library seeks to provide a secure and dynamic environment for life long learning with access to materials for education, information, and recreation. They are a member of the Big Country Library System and house a collection of more than 15,000 items.Joined: July 2012.
The Cuero Public Library strives to promote literacy, love of reading, and lifelong opportunities for patrons of all ages and cultural and economic backgrounds, through educational, informational and recreational resources. The Tocker Foundation helped fund digitization efforts for the library in 2015.Joined: March 2016.
The Czech Ex-Students Association Of Texas (Spolek Ceskych Ex-Studentu Statu Texas) was organized in 1909 to promote and perpetuate the Czech language and culture. Their contributions include materials related to the late Olga Pazdral (1907-1965), teacher and folklorist of Czech culture in Texas.Joined: February 2015.
Born of the efforts of a loyal group of volunteers, the Library first opened its doors in February 1982 in a small storefront facility it shared with the Parks and Recreation Department. Today the Library contains a lot more space for study, a story time area, and ample room for growth in its role in the community.Joined: April 2014.
The largest undergraduate institution in Texas, DCCD contains seven different campuses spread across North Texas: Brookhaven, Cedar Valley, Eastfield, Mountain View, North Lake, Richland, and the flagship campus El Centro College, established in downtown Dallas in 1966.Joined: May 2009.
The Dallas Firefighters Museum has documented the history of the firefighting profession in Dallas since 1972. The fire department itself was established by the city in the 1870s. The Museum preserves firefighting history through restoration and display of vintage tools, apparatus, and memorabilia.Joined: November 2011.
The Society has preserved genealogical information about families in Dallas and the surrounding area since 1954. They hold monthly meetings, sponsored lecture series, and summer institutes to foster education and interest in genealogy and to support collect and preserve information relating to Dallas County and its early history.Joined: September 2011.
Nestled in the intersection of IH-35 and IH-30, the Village contains original buildings, artifacts, and other historical items that are open to the public for a small charge. Run by the Dallas County Historical Society, they provide a glimpse into 19th century Texas life. Funding was provided by a Rescuing Texas History grant.Joined: May 2009.
This nonprofit organization strives to preserve and exhibit the unique heritage of Dallas. Since its founding in 1922, it has accumulated a collection of nearly 3 million items relating to the city's history and Texas' growth. They also provide access to collections, exhibitions, tours, and more.Joined: May 2009.
Since 1985, the Archives have kept more than 2,000 cubic feet of materials open to the public by appointment. These materials include departmental documents, manuscripts, maps, photographs, and much more; they document historical events like the Kennedy assassination and Clyde Barrow gang's activities.Joined: October 2009.
Renowned as one of the foremost art institutions in the nation, the Dallas Museum of Art has facilitated access to art since 1903. In addition to exhibits, the Museum offers educational programs to the community including lectures, concerts, literary readings, dramatic and dance presentations.Joined: October 2011.
Initiated by the Dallas Federation of Women's Clubs, the Library grew out of, among others, a grant from steel tycoon Andrew Carnegie. It became a War Information Center during WWII, and the decades after its expansion led to the creation of new branches in other parts of the city.Joined: May 2009.
Located in the western Texas Panhandle, the Library serves Hereford and the surrounding area. From its start as a small room in the Hereford Bank in 1910 to its current role as a technological and education center, the Library has continued to uphold its mission to provide access and promote learning in the community.Joined: May 2009.
A gift from Mr. and Mrs. Dennis O'Connor of Refugio established the Library in 1961, and today it still bears Mr. O'Connor's name. The Library memorializes the Irish colonists who settled the county in the 19th century. Today, it serves as an important genealogical and educational resource for this South Texas community.Joined: March 2015.
Denton Independent School District has a long history of educating students in Denton. The first public school in the city began in 1884 with 425 students. Since then, the district has seen many changes in organization and periods of rapid growth.Joined: January 2013.
The Denton Public Library partnered with UNT Libraries on a grant From Plowshares to Diplomas: Digitizing Early Denton History, which was completed in 2007. Materials include local history photographs, maps, city directories, and some books. Funding for this project was provided by the Forrest C. Lattner Foundation.Joined: May 2009.
The Dolph Briscoe Center for American History is an Austin-based organization that collects, preserves, and provides access to materials relevant to Texas and U.S. history. It operates within the public services and research components of the University of Texas at Austin.Joined: October 2009.
The first library in the South Texas city of Mercedes was informally established in 1911, with a free public library opening in 1940 as a result of work from local civic groups. In 2010, the library was named for Dr. Hector P. Garcia, a prominent resident who is best known for founding the American GI Forum in 1948.Joined: March 2015.
Built in 1854, the Homestead was home to one of the founding families of Dripping Springs near Austin. Occupied by the Pound family until 1983, it was the first school house, church, and medical office. The reconstructed home and its decorative artifacts represent life in Central Texas around the year 1910.Joined: September 2016.
Located about 70 miles southwest of Fort Worth, the Dublin Public Library provides free services to all residents of Erath County and the surrounding communities. It has been a free public library since its commencement in 1952. The Tocker Foundation provided funding to help with digitization efforts.Joined: November 2014.
The East Texas Genealogical Society began in 1977 and emphasizes the importance of continuing education by providing training for beginner genealogists, sponsoring seminars, conducting workshops, and presenting monthly meetings.Joined: July 2009.
The Library, especially the genealogy department, is a useful and expedient resource for those who come in searching for information and volunteers who aid others with research. The Library received a 2014 grant from the Tocker Foundation to aid in digitization efforts and benefit area genealogists.Joined: October 2014.
In striving for public service excellence, the Ed and Hazel Richmond Public Library is a welcoming community center whose staff, resources, programs, and services provide for the needs of the diverse community of Aransas Pass.Joined: May 2017.
Located in Beaumont, this is the only institution west of the Mississippi dedicated to the life and times of Thomas Edison. Located in the historic Travis Street substation, the Museum has helped supply the electricity to the city for nearly 100 years. It was created in the 1980s by Gulf States Utilities, who dedicated the building to education.Joined: October 2016.
Created in March 1954, the Society creates directories of El Paso and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico and serves as the operating agency for the El Paso Museum of History. They also study city and county history, foster local research, preserve historical materials, provide access to collections, and encourage historical writing and publication.Joined: May 2012.
El Paso Public Library patrons can access valuable educational resources as well as government documents, photo archives, and much more. The Library also provides language learning classes and passport help, as well as a seed library to foster the community's green thumb.Joined: October 2009.
On April 21, 1981, the Port Aransas Library opened to the public and became a member of the South Texas Library System in September 1981. In 1995 was renamed in honor of former mayor and civic leader William R. "Bill" Ellis. They received a grant from the Ladd and Katherine Hancher Foundation to aid in digitization efforts.Joined: May 2014.
Since July 18, 1939, the Library has served the City of Ennis and surrounding areas. Originally located on the third floor of the police station, it moved to its current address on West Ennis Avenue in 1982. The Library sits on land donated to the city by the late Mrs. I. Cerf. Additions were added in 1987 and 1994.Joined: August 2016.
Housed in the Dublin Public Library, the Society aids researchers in studying family histories in Erath County and surrounding areas. The Society operates through its volunteers, who help patrons find local obituaries, cemetery and marriage records for a small fee.Joined: December 2014.
The Euless Public Library, known as the Mary Lib Saleh Euless Public Library, is dedicated to providing materials to meet the informational, educational and recreational needs of the community. They obtain and make accessible reliable information that fosters lifetime learning, as well as popular materials for the enjoyment of patrons.Joined: May 2009.
Located just south of the exact point that marks the geographic center of the state, Brady is certainly the "True Heart of Texas”. F.M. (Buck) Richards Memorial Library has served McCulloch County’s families for many years.Joined: January 2018.
The Fannin County Historical Commission promotes the preservation of the history and administers the Texas Historical Commission's historical marker program for Fannin County. Through its website and physical files, the commission makes available to the public a wide range of historical information.Joined: October 2015.
Located in the Beaumont Fire Department's 1927 Central Fire Station, the museum opened in 1984 and became the official state fire museum in 1986. Today it provides access to fire service history and education for people across the state of Texas. This nonprofit organization is operated by Beaumont Fire-Rescue Services.Joined: December 2013.
The church, which is part of the Disciples of Christ, has been in Port Arthur since 1904. In addition to the important role they play in their community, the church is known for famous musician Janis Joplin, who sang with the youth choir in the early 1950s. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant in 2007 to aid in digitization.Joined: May 2009.
The Libraries serves the Fort Bend community as a resource center, with the Richmond-based George Memorial Library as the main campus. Materials include the history of the South, federal censuses, the Civil War, genealogy, and more.Joined: June 2015.
Since 1967, the Museum has preserved and interpreted state and county history. It provides a glimpse into life on the Brazos River through exhibit galleries, home museums, and a walking tour of historic Richmond. Among the Museum's materials are photos of prohibitionist Carrie A. Nation and "Mother of Texas" Janne Long.Joined: May 2009.
The Fort Worth Aviation Museum (formerly the Veterans Memorial Air Park) is a group of organizations dedicated to the history of aviation in Fort Worth, the North Texas region, and around the world. The FWAM includes the B-36 Peacemaker Museum, the Forward Air Controller’s Museum.Joined: November 2015.
Originally housed in classrooms at De Zavala Elementary School in Fort Worth, the Museum has grown considerably since its official opening in 1945. The purpose of the museum has always been to provide engaging programs and exhibits to promote learning in science and the history of Texas and the Southwest.Joined: February 2016.
Located in the heart of Fort Worth, the Library provides access to millions of books and other resources. In addition to traditional library services, they host events, workshops, training, and passport acceptance. They received a grant for "Where the West Begins: Capturing Fort Worth's Historic Treasures" for their role in preserving city history.Joined: May 2009.
Built in 1841, the French Legation Museum is the oldest existing home in Austin. It began as the private home of Alphonse Dubois, the French chargé d'affaires and changed hands twice before it fell under the custody of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, who maintain and provide access to the museum today.Joined: October 2009.
The Library has served Hallettsville and the surrounding areas as part of the South Texas Library System since 1937. The photograph collection at the Friench Simpson Memorial Library is the largest and most complete collection of historic photographs of Lavaca County.Joined: February 2011.
With a focus on literacy and intellectual freedom, the Frisco Public Library first came to fruition in 1991 in a small building staffed solely by volunteers. Today, the Library has grown into a well-funded, innovative institution located in the George A. Purefoy Municipal Center, but still maintains the same mission of educating and inspiring patrons.Joined: September 2016.
Frontier Texas is a history museum, heritage center, and visitor information center located in downtown Abilene. It allows visitors to relive the Old West through of state-of-the-art technology and brings the frontier to life to let visitors meet people who played out their lives on the Texas frontier.Joined: May 2015.
With locations in the West Texas towns of Seminole and Seagraves, the Library System gives residents of all ages the means to learn, meet their reading interests, and better understand the world around them as well as their community's heritage.Joined: May 2014.
The Center collects, preserves and organizes archival materials that document the history of Galveston and Texas. It contributes manuscripts, photos, maps, architectural drawings, genealogical materials, and reference books and city directories.Joined: August 2015.
Founded in 1871, the Foundation reincorporated in 1954. Since then, it has focused on the purchase, rehabilitation, and stabilization of endangered properties and neighborhoods as well as events that celebrate the history and culture of Galveston Island from the 19th century to the present.Joined: August 2016.
The Genevieve Miller Hitchcock Public Library, located in the Galveston County town of Hitchcock, serves to educate, inform, entertain, and culturally enrich the community by providing library materials and information services. The library received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in the digitization of at-risk photographs and maps.Joined: May 2009.
George Everill Pierce was a lieutenant colonel who died in service to his country in 1942. His family contributed photographs he collected through his life. Digitization was made possible by a Rescuing Texas History grant.Joined: February 2016.
This 23,000-acre working ranch and living history museum are located in Fort Bend County. The land was originally settled in 1824 as part of the Austin Colony by Nancy and Henry Jones. The park's mission centers on preserving the history of the county and galvanizing the appreciation of cultural heritage.Joined: March 2009.
Georgetown Heritage Society (GHS) is located in Georgetown, TX. As of February 2017, GHS is now known as Preservation Georgetown. We preserve and promote Georgetown’s heritage through preservation advocacy, education, and community engagement. Our organization has been working to preserve the past for future generations through education and information since 1977. Today, the Society enjoys a vibrant and diverse membership that is socially active, community minded and preservation conscious. Preservation Georgetown also has a fund dedicated to preservation of historic structures within the greater Georgetown area.
We decided to participate in The Portal to Texas History Digital Library because we have received several gifts of photographs to keep in our archives. We want our archives to be accessible to all who are interested in preserving Georgetown's rich past, even if they are unable to personally visit our library.Joined: June 2017.
Located in northeastern Limestone County, the Library has served the people of Mexia since 1949. The Mexia Public Library first came to fruition in 1903. In its current state, the Library provides access to resources and Mexia's history as a center for the oil and gas industries during the early 20th century.Joined: February 2013.
The Gillespie County Historical Society exists to preserve and make accessible the history of Gillespie County. Many of the materials collected by the society come from the county seat of Fredericksburg, which has a deep connection with its German roots. The society is located within the Pioneer Museum in Fredericksburg.Joined: November 2011.
Housed in the restored historic 1909 Grace Hotel building, the Grace Museum provides residents with access to art exhibits, events, and classes. As downtown Abilene has grown in the 21st century, so has the city's arts district, recognized by the Texas Commission for the Arts as one of the five most important in the state.Joined: March 2015.
The Richardson and Smith libraries at this private Baptist university in Abilene provide materials necessary to support the research of students and faculty. They provide books, federal documents, maps, scores, recordings, and periodicals which are on open shelves and readily accessible to all.Joined: March 2009.
The Harper Library began in June 2004, with a letter to the editor in The Harper News. Seven people met in response to the letter. This group began meeting monthly to plan and organize for a library. The library opened its doors to the public on April 6, 2006. The library started in a small house off Highway 290.Joined: August 2017.
The Harrie P. Woodson Memorial Library is a public library affiliated with the system that serves the North Texas city of Caldwell in Burleson County. In 2011, the library was awarded a Tocker Foundation grant to digitize Burleson County's historic newspapers and to provide access to them on the Portal to Texas History.Joined: November 2011.
The Harris and Eliza Kempner Fund started in 1946 when family members created the Galveston Fund. Today, the Fund’s board consists of nine family members along with two outside directors; they meet twice a year. The focus continues to be on Galveston Island with 95% of grant funds distributed in the area.Joined: May 2017.
Opened to the public in April 2005, the Archives maintain administrative, physical, and intellectual control over the permanent and historical records of Harris County. They provide resources including county records, manuscripts, oral histories, maps, and other exhibits to the community.Joined: August 2012.
Located in the Houston suburb of Cypress Creek, the Barbara Bush Branch Library is one of 26 community-focused branch libraries within the Harris County Public Library system. The library provides access to vast collections as well as foreign language materials to reflect the diverse community they serve.Joined: March 2016.
The Haslet Public Library serves the North Texas community of Haslet and strives to be a source of life-long learning and cultural enrichment for its patrons. The library provides books, electronic resources, Internet access, volunteer opportunities, public computers, and more.Joined: February 2011.
Although the first steps to creating a library in Canadian began in 1903, the Hemphill County Library wasn't established until 1923. The original building was declared a Texas Historical Landmark in 1966, and renovations since have upgraded the facility to serve the educational and technological needs of the community.Joined: September 2009.
The Henderson County District Clerk's Office provides residents of Athens and the East Texas county with legal services, including jury selection, passport application processing, managing court registry funds, and maintaining county court records.Joined: May 2009.
The Litera Club, a women's service organization, organized the Library in 1937. The library survived a tornado, ownership changes, and standard 20th-century challenges to become the notable institution it is today in Lipscomb County.Joined: January 2014.
The Hispanic Heritage Center of San Antonio's mission rests on continually provide education, research, genealogy resources and public outreach to inform our community about their unknown heritage and legacy. It was founded in 2008, and strives to share the Tejano experience and the community's impact on Texas history and culture.Joined: November 2016.
This nonprofit organization is dedicated to the preservation of historical sites and artifacts relating to the City of Mesquite in North Texas. They do so through the identification and maintenance of historical structures and making information and education available to the public.Joined: March 2015.
The History Center is a public history and archives center that collects, preserves, and makes available the history of its region for the educational use and benefit of present and future generations. Located deep in the heart of the East Texas piney woods of Diboll, it also has exhibits that help interpret the area's rich cultural and natural history.Joined: June 2011.
In 1981, the Society was established to preserve genealogical and historical materials from Northeast Texas with an emphasis on Hopkins County. Their library provides a public repository and research facility for the citizens of the county. They offer educational programs, workshops, and publications to promote research.Joined: January 2017.
The Houston Metropolitan Research Center (HMRC) is part of the Houston Public Library System's Special Collections Division which also includes the Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research and the African American Library at the Gregory School.Joined: July 2013.
The Humble Museum contains stories, photos, and artifacts collected throughout the area and display its history. The City of Humble funds the Museum, with help from members of the Humble Museum Society, donations, and the sale of museum gift shop items. The Humble Museum received two Rescuing Texas History grants.Joined: October 2015.
Hutchinson County Genealogical Society documents and provides access to photographs, illustrations, and biographies, including death, burial and marriage records stemming from Hutchinson County in the Texas Panhandle. The Society is based in the Borger Branch of the Hutchinson County Library.Joined: June 2009.
The Hutchinson County Library strives to provide services on a fair and equitable basis to all individuals and groups in the community. It aims to be a source of lifelong learning to help meet the need for information and answers to general questions from all walks of life. It also contains the Hutchinson County Genealogical Society.Joined: November 2011.
Located in the Irving Public Library, the Archives collect and preserve the history of Irving, its residents, and its predecessor communities. Their holdings date from the mid-19th century to the present and contain artifacts from both city government and from private sources.Joined: May 2009.
The Jackson County Memorial Library was organized and sponsored by the Eleanor Brackenridge Literary Club of Edna, Texas in the early 1900s. From its humble beginnings the library grew and eventually moved into the County Services building where it remains today.Joined: July 2016.
The Jacob Fontaine Religious Museum represents the history of African American churches in the Austin area. It is named after Jacob Fontaine, a slave preacher who founded 13 Baptist churches in Travis County. The Museum received a Rescuing Texas History grant in 2006 to aid in digitization of materials, mainly photographs.Joined: May 2009.
Since 2004, the Kemah Historical Society has researched and preserved the history and artifacts of Kemah and the surrounding Bay Area. They strive to increase awareness of the area's historical and ecological significance by disseminating information actively collecting, documenting and preserving artifacts and memorabilia.Joined: March 2012.
In 1988, a group of volunteers came together and created the Kerens Public Library. The Library grew considerably, and by 2000 needed a larger building. Through donations, hard work, and perseverance, the Library became the notable Kerens institution it is today, providing services and meeting space for patrons.Joined: February 2015.
The Kerr County Historical Commission (KCHC) was established in 1975, with representatives from all areas of the county. This unit of the Texas Historical Commission works under the guidance of the Kerr County Commissioners Court, who appoints members.Joined: July 2015.
The Killeen City Library System serves the people of Killeen and surrounding Bell County. The institution received a Rescuing Texas History grant to digitize at-risk photographs and maps of the Killeen area, early citizens, and the library itself.Joined: May 2009.
First organized in 1876, the church served as a center for school and worship. As membership grew and expanded, they kept records of the congregation, the church, and the surrounding community. The records were preserved and contribute greatly to the understanding of North Texas' development through the years.Joined: June 2009.
The Library of Graham was first established in 1911 by the local women’s club known as Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Club (CLSC). Despite its humble beginnings, the Library now houses over 58,000 items in a variety of formats and has over 8,000 registered patrons.Joined: June 2017.
Lamar State College in Orange opened in 1969 as an extension center of Lamar University in Beaumont. It later earned independent accreditation in 1989 and received separate degree-granting authority in 1991. It sits on a unique campus composed of repurposed buildings and has helped revitalize downtown Orange.Joined: March 2011.
Lamar University presents editions of the school's student-run newspapers and the Larry Jene Fisher Photography Collection. The collections document and illustrate the history of the University as well as the surrounding counties in East Texas.Joined: October 2014.
Lambshead Ranch, one of Texas' most historic cattle ranches, is still owned and operated by the direct descendants of Judge J.A. and Sallie Reynolds Matthews. The Reynolds and Matthews families were pioneer ranchers and trail drivers who arrived in East Texas in the 1850s.Joined: October 2009.
The very first library in Lampasas was founded in 1901 in the home of a resident, with only a few books donated by members of a women’s club. In July 1901, a Library Association was organized under the name of Lampasas Library and Social Club. In April 1903, the ladies from a couple of service clubs set to establish in Lampasas a public library. The two clubs sponsored a book reception to start a library collection. The reception was held on May 1, 1903, and 320 books were donated.Joined: August 2017.
In 1977, 17 "wannabe" genealogists gathered at the Lancaster Veterans Memorial Library to create the Society. They wanted to promote interest in genealogy and preserve family histories. It includes members from Cedar Hill, Dallas, DeSoto, Duncanville, Hutchins, Lancaster, Midlothian, Ovilla, Red Oak, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.Joined: February 2015.
The Laredo Public Library materials include local history materials selected for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the Digitization of At-Risk Photographs and Maps. Images include photographs of the border area, Fort McIntosh and maps of early Laredo.Joined: May 2009.
The LBJ Museum focuses on former President Lyndon B. Johnson's formative years, which he spent as a college student and teacher in San Marcos. The Museum shows how his early experiences impacted the community and later the nation. Beyond their collections, they also offer training in collection management.Joined: October 2009.
League City residents organized the Library in 1971. It was renamed in 1985 in honor of one of the charter members Helen Hall. Today, it's one of the busiest and largest libraries in the Galveston County Library System and is also a member of the Houston Area Library System.Joined: February 2013.
The Lena Armstrong Public Library strives to encourage and promote literacy, love of reading and lifelong learning opportunities by providing a dynamic collection of historical and current materials in a variety of formats. It is located in the Central Texas city of Belton and provides important events, services, and materials to its residents.Joined: May 2009.
The Free Public Library, established in 1932, was the first public library serving the city of Livingston. Today, it is known as the Livingston Municipal Library and strives to manage materials to meet the needs of its patrons and all the residents of Polk County. The library received a Tocker Foundation grant in 2014 to aid in digitization efforts.Joined: March 2015.
Serving Llano County and the city of Llano, the Llano County Public Library supports over 3,000 residents within the city and over 19,000 residents within the county. The Llano Library System plays a vital role in the daily lives of residents in Central Texas, and its personnel maintain an aggressive schedule of programs for young children and home-schoolers.Joined: August 2017.
Lockheed Martin Aeronautics is one of the largest aircraft manufacturers in the world. Fort Worth is home to their headquarters, and they have facilities across the country. In addition to their role in national security, the company has kept extensive image archives of U.S. aeronautic and military history, especially during WWII.Joined: May 2009.
The Pioneer Texas Heritage Committee and the Tarrant County Historical Society came together in the 1950s to create the Log Cabin Village, a compilation of historical structures aimed at providing education on Texas life in the 19th century. They restored and furnished each structure with artifacts, and today the village is open to the public.Joined: March 2009.
The Longview Public Library serves the residents of Longview and Gregg County. The library offers access to books and computers as well as free computer classes. They also host various events for the community, including the popular "Haunted Library" Halloween event.Joined: October 2011.
Lubbock High School is Lubbock's first and oldest high school, first established in 1891 with 15 pupils in a store. Today, it is an internationally-renowned institution and takes part in the International Baccalaureate Program and has one of the state's top magnet programs.Joined: February 2015.
In 1954, Rockdale's first library opened as a joint effort of its citizens and the Texas State Library. In 1961, Dr. George Hill Patterson made a donation in honor of his mother, Rockdale native Lucy. The Library works closely with the Milam County Genealogical Society and received a Tocker Foundation grant.Joined: February 2015.
Marfa gained a public library in 1947 with the current building donated in 1973. Through the help of organizations such as the Friends of the Marfa Library, the Library has been able to continue to provide residents with access to materials, programs, and city history.Joined: May 2009.
The Library was organized in 1902 and continues to serve the area. The Marshall Public Library provides access to local history photographs documenting their Library and notable African-American citizens instrumental in the East Texas city's development.Joined: May 2009.
Formed in 1962, the Maverick Region Porsche Club of America serves the Dallas / Ft. Worth Metroplex and the surrounding North Texas counties, providing social, driving and technical events that enhance the Porsche ownership experience. With over 2,600 members, they are the 15th largest region out of 143 regions that make up the Porsche Club of America. The club has released their monthly publication Slipstream since its launch in 1965.Joined: July 2016.
Located in Hidalgo County, the McAllen Public Library serves a culturally rich and historically diverse area of the state. Their mission is to provide free access to information and foster an open exchange of ideas. Planning for the library is conducted through the Library Board's recommendations to the City Commission.Joined: February 2011.
As authorized by the Texas Legislature, McCulloch County Historical Commission (MCHC) assists the Texas Historical Commission (THC) and the McCulloch County Commissioners Court in the preservation of county historic and cultural resources.Joined: June 2016.
The McFaddin-Ward House, built around 1905-1906 in the Beaux-Arts Colonial style, housed a prominent family in Beaumont for 75 years. The museum of the same name preserves the building and the artifacts, providing visitors with a firsthand glimpse of Southeast Texas History.Joined: February 2015.
Housed in the former Ritz Theatre in McGregor, Texas, the McGinley Memorial Library serves both McGregor and the wider McClennan County. The balcony of the library still houses original projection equipment and movie memorabilia today.Joined: August 2017.
The Jay-Rollins Library serves the students, faculty, and staff of McMurry University in Abilene. Patrons have access to their extensive collections, which include more than one million items through the library and the Abilene Library Consortium.Joined: May 2009.
The Mesquite Public Library was founded in 1963 with the North Branch opening in 1981. They have been instrumental in preserving the rise of the city through its founding in the 19th century to its present state. The library has a wide range of materials, including books, audio cassettes, videos, DVDs, CDs, and reels of microfilm.Joined: June 2010.
Since its inception in 1984, the Mexic-Arte Museum has been a pioneer institution in the museum field as one of the few Mexican and Mexican-American Art museums in the United States. The museum contributes to Latino cultural enrichment and works to improve the quality of life through innovative exhibitions and educational programming.Joined: April 2013.
Midwestern State University is a leading public liberal arts university committed to providing students with rigorous undergraduate and graduate education in the liberal arts and the professions. The University was established in 1922 and is located in Wichita Falls, midway between Oklahoma City and the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.Joined: May 2014.
Located in the East Texas town of Mineola in Wood County, the Mineola Memorial Library came to fruition in 1950 and has since flourished to include more than 46,000 books, digital newspapers, and many other materials. The Tocker Foundation provided funding for digitization of library materials.Joined: October 2012.
The Mineral Wells Heritage Association preserves and shares the cultural heritage of Mineral Wells and surrounding Palo Pinto County. Since their founding in 1974, they have done so through the collection and sharing of documents, memorabilia, and archival materials.Joined: September 2013.
Founded in 1947 by a group known as the HUB Club, the library system in Montgomery County grew from a small collection housed in bookmobiles and car showrooms to a multi-branch institution that provides lifelong learning opportunities to a growing Southeast Texas population.Joined: January 2014.
The Moody Medical Library provides a place for medical students and faculty of UTMB to advance their study of medicine. The library contains “one of the world’s great historical collections of books and manuscripts in the history of medicine" in the Truman G. Blocker, Jr. History of Medicine Collections.Joined: December 2013.
This library serves the city of Mount Pleasant and the surrounding Titus County. The building includes thousands of books, digital resources, a garden, and designated reading rooms for all ages. The Library contains a museum that focuses on the history of Mount Pleasant. A Hancher Foundation grant helped digitize important materials.Joined: August 2016.
A center for artistic and cultural growth in Houston's Montrose area, the Museum displays interesting and unique exhibitions. It's the oldest art museum in Texas, formed in 1900 by the Public School Art League. Multiple entities have since made important donations to the museum.Joined: May 2009.
The Museum of South Texas History was founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum. Located in the city of Edinburg, the museum features exhibits on the history of the Rio Grande Valley between South Texas and Northeastern Mexico. Its various materials highlight the rich heritage and blended culture of the region.Joined: February 2015.
Located in the North Texas town of Frisco, the Museum of the American Railroad is a nonprofit organization committed to sharing the instrumental role the railroads played in Texan and American history. The museum partners and shares space with the Frisco Heritage Museum.Joined: May 2009.
Founded in 1926, the museum is a department of Sul Ross State University in Alpine and contains more than 25,000 objects from prehistoric to contemporary times. For more than 70 years, they've collected and exhibited artifacts that relate to the Big Bend region, its history (and prehistory), and its natural and cultural diversity.Joined: March 2012.
Located in the coastal city of Port Arthur, the museum gives a glimpse into Texas' natural and cultural history. Materials cover notable eras in the state's past, from prehistoric times to the Civil War. It also includes materials on famous musicians and athletes from the Gulf Coast.Joined: February 2012.
Founded in 1955, the Museum collects, preserves, and exhibits artifacts with the hope of providing a better understanding of the American West. They provide a handwritten ledger containing a list of registered brands in Texas and surrounding states that includes earmarks, branding symbols, holders' names, and addresses.Joined: July 2012.
Established in 1967, the Museum honors the 8 million Americans who served in WWII in the Pacific Theater by sharing their stories with the world. Located in Fredericksburg in the restored Nimitz "Steamboat" Hotel, the Museum partners with the Texas Historical Commission to preserve the historical resources of the era.Joined: March 2012.
The Library serves the residents of Clifton and greater Bosque County, providing them with access to educational and technological materials. The Library partnered with the Cleng Peerson Research Library of the Bosque Museum to secure digitization for select materials.Joined: September 2016.
The Library is the municipal library of Columbus. It was named after Lee Quinn Nesbitt, who financed the building's construction. Materials focus Colorado County history from the 1800s to the late 1900s, including early Texas settlers, Civil War letters, Reconstruction, world war veterans and other events in the county's development.Joined: February 2012.
Situated in the easternmost county in Texas, the Newton County Historical Commission preserves genealogical and historical information for people who have ties to the county. The Commission received a Rescuing Texas History grant to digitize select materials.Joined: November 2015.
The Nicholas P. Sims Library and Lyceum was constructed during 1903-04 after local farmer and investor Nicholas P. Sims left the bulk of his estate to the people of Waxahachie and Ellis County to establish a library. Today, the Library remains in its original location and realizes its original founder's wishes.Joined: August 2010.
Founded in 1957 as the Collin County Historical Commission, the North Texas History Center gives residents from within McKinney and beyond the chance to dive into the past. They collect, display, and catalog historical artifacts and share them with the public.Joined: May 2009.
Located at Avenger Field in Nolan County Texas, the WASP World War II Museum commits to preserving the legacy of the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) of WWII. As a teaching museum, it features archives, exhibits, and oral histories that record a significant period in history when women dared to break barriers and contribute to victory.Joined: January 2017.
In 1893, members of the Oklahoma Territory Press Association formed the Oklahoma Historical Society to keep a detailed record of Oklahoma history and preserve it for future generations. The Oklahoma History Center opened in 2005, and operates in Oklahoma City.Joined: May 2009.
The Old Jail Art Center (OJAC) first opened in 1980 in the first permanent jail built in Shackelford County, comprised of four small galleries. It functions as a primary cultural resource for the region, providing visual art, performing art, and local history resources for residents and visitors alike, and fostering memorable experiences.Joined: May 2014.
In 1879, settlers in Grayson County created the Association a few miles southwest of Sherman. Since then, the group changed its name and bought land in the county, and today functions as a preserver of the area's history. The group grants financial assistance to local libraries, educational institutions, and museums.Joined: May 2009.
The Orange County Historical Society works to document and preserve the history of the Southeastern Texas region along the Sabine River. They hold quarterly meetings and regularly publish information about the county's history.Joined: June 2013.
On June 15, 1910, 20 women organized and opened the Palacios Library. By the end of the year, it contained 104 members, 325 books, and $150 in the treasury. A narrowly framed building which was once the town box ball alley originally housed the Library. A Tocker Foundation grant aided in digitization efforts.Joined: May 2014.
Located in Anderson County, the Palestine Public Library provides access to information and various programs for the community's benefit. They received a Rescuing Texas History grant to aid in digitization of select materials, including photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.Joined: May 2009.
The Palo Pinto County Historical Association is a nonprofit that documents and preserves materials regarding county history since 1890. It is comprised of county commissioners court members and commission-nominated delegates. The Association contains four committees: History Appreciation, Marker, Archaeology, and Oral History.Joined: November 2014.
The Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum opened in 1933 to showcase the artifacts, art, and archives that document the history and culture of the Texas Panhandle and surrounding plains regions. The Museum is located at the West Texas A&M University campus in Canyon.Joined: March 2012.
Panola College is a community college institution located in the East Texas town of Carthage. The M.P. Baker Library at the school is dedicated to offering resources and services to enhance the development of the whole student body and to offer opportunities for students to become lifelong learners.Joined: March 2012.
Located on the Navarro College campus in Corsicana, the Pearce Museum offers visitors a glimpse into the history of the Civil War. They also contain an extensive collection depicting the unique style of Western American art. The Museum opened in 1996, growing out of the collections of Dennis and Peggy Pearce.Joined: July 2015.
In 1975, Midland community members under the leadership of George T. Abell created the Museum to tell the story of petroleum and the lives of the people in the industry through history. Today, the Museum is the largest museum dedicated to the petroleum industry and its pioneers in the nation.Joined: October 2009.
The Port Arthur Public Library provides this East Texas city with access to information and various educational programs. The Friends of the Port Arthur Public Library, a nonprofit local organization, aids the library financially.Joined: October 2009.
Founded in 1876, Prairie View A&M University is the second oldest public institution of higher learning in the state of Texas. A member of the Texas A&M University System, the University is dedicated to fulfilling its land-grant mission of achieving excellence in teaching, research, and service.Joined: December 2011.
Preservation Dallas was founded in 1972 as a nonprofit membership organization to champion initiatives to protect the history and culture of neighborhoods and historic buildings throughout Dallas, enhancing the quality of life and economic development of our great city. Work includes: brokering solutions for endangered historic properties; educating the public through tours, talks and events; documenting through surveys and research, the historic and cultural value of Dallas’ older neighborhoods; and partnering with neighborhoods as well as local and national organizations to advocate for historic preservation issues in Dallas.Joined: November 2017.
These materials relate to the history of the family of Sam Price, a slave whose freedom was purchased by his slavemasters' daughter. The history of the family has significant cultural and historical value for not only the State of Texas but also in various cultures throughout the United States.Joined: March 2012.
The private collection of Caroline R. Scrivner Richards includes letters and photographs predominately from Paris, Texas.Joined: May 2009.
Born in 1927 in Wheelock, Estelle Mitchell Adams is the last surviving grandchild of Georgia slaves who came to Texas in 1895. Her private collection is meant to preserve and share her memories of the cultural and historical details of the African-American citizens who helped to develop the town of Wheelock and Robertson County.Joined: August 2015.
Photographer and commercial contractor Jim Bell traveled throughout Texas photographing county courthouses, significant historical buildings and landmarks. His photographs include interior views, architectural details, and historical markers.Joined: February 2011.
Letters written to and from Judge Joseph A. Carroll between 1856 through 1869. A founding Father of Denton, Carroll played a major role in the early development of North Texas and was a significant player before, during, and after the Civil War.Joined: January 2014.
The Private Collection of Judy Wood and Jim Atkinson contributed their book, Fort Worth's Huge Deal: Unwinding Westside's Twisted Legend. The book discusses Arlington Heights, a neighborhood in Fort Worth that was founded in the late 1880s.Joined: March 2015.
The Bahl, Wheatly, and Hessdoerfer families were residents of Waco, Texas from the 1850's. The items in this collection were found in the Elmer and Josephine (Bahl) Wheatly home after the death of Elmer and Josephine Wheatly in 2010.Joined: June 2016.
The Private Collection of Mary Newton Maxwell includes family photographs, letters, and documents along with journals and church registers. The collection spans many Texas counties and over 150 years of Texas history.Joined: January 2015.
The Private Collection of Melvin E. Brewer consists of 39 letters revealing the courtship of Emma Davis and John C. Brewer between 1876 and 1879. John C. Brewer was living in Rockwall County and Emma Davis was in Hopkins County at the time. The collection includes transcriptions of each letter.Joined: January 2013.
The Private Collection of Mike Cochran features photographic negatives of the African-American community of Waco, Texas. The collection consists of numerous studio portraits, marriage portraits, graduation and older family photos.Joined: February 2012.
The Private Collection of Rosa Walston Latimer consists of original, hand-written letters and other correspondence from former Texas Harvey Girls (and their families) who worked in Harvey Houses along the Santa Fe Railroad in Texas.Joined: March 2015.
The Private Collection of T. B. Willis consists of historical photographs of World War I Camp MacArthur, church photos, buildings across Texas, a collection of African-American photographs, and family photo albums, which include Willis family albums and extended relatives who settled in Waco, Texas in the 19th century.Joined: April 2013.
The Private Collection of the Ellis and Blanton Families includes photographs predominately from Fort Worth, Texas. Materials include photographs of family members, including weddings, and a photo of the Sunday school class from the First Methodist Church in 1906.Joined: May 2009.
The Private Collection of the Raymond B. Holbrook Family contributed Texas Week, the first weekly magazine devoted entirely to the State of Texas.Joined: February 2015.
The Sutherlin Family presents their collection of family letters to and from James Edgar Sutherlin, when he served in the U.S. Navy in WWII. He enlisted before he was 18 and served from 1943 - 1946. Official Navy documents, ship menus, Newsletters, and family photographs are included.Joined: February 2011.
A center of agricultural and oil production, Reagan County is situated in West Texas on the edge of the Edwards Plateau. Documenting the community's history from the 1920s and onwards, materials from the Library were digitized through a Tocker Foundation grant.Joined: November 2015.
Since 1841, the community of Red River County has seen several public and private libraries flourish, and then just as abruptly, terminate. The culprit of each curtailment was usually due to economic hardships where financial support was withdrawn. Such is the case of the stately 1905 Carnegie Library, which closed after a severe crop failure in the area. Although previous libraries failed, the persistence of the community to rebuild after each setback attests to the idea of a library, and the confidence in the contributions such an institution makes to the people it serves.Joined: August 2017.
The Richard S. and Leah Morris Memorial Library was completed in 2012 with a gift donation from Mr. Richard S. Morris. Their addition of The Claude News to The Portal to Texas History has been generously supported by the Tocker Foundation.Joined: November 2013.
The Rio Grande City Public Library strives to maintain and improve the quality of life for all citizens of the community by providing resources that enhance literacy, life-long learning, and access to ideas. The Library serves as a hub for patrons to discover the joy of reading and the value of libraries.Joined: December 2011.
The Sam Rayburn House Museum provides photographs and artwork from the Rayburn family's personal collection. Its mission centers on increasing local, regional and national awareness of Sam Rayburn's life and career as a United States Congressman through the preservation and interpretation of the historic site.Joined: February 2012.
The Society documents the history of San Antonio and South Central Texas with an emphasis on the built environment. This history includes photographs of San Antonio street scenes and a few portraits, taken by professional photographer Ernst Raba between c. 1853 and c. 1939.Joined: October 2014.
A half-century of innovation, inclusion and extraordinary growth mark the history of San Jacinto College. The college has evolved from one location in urban Pasadena to three campuses and 12 extension centers serving the Greater Houston community. The college received a Rescuing Texas History grant in 2015.Joined: May 2016.
In 1836, the Battle of San Jacinto effectively changed the shape of history and paved the way for Texas to become a nation and subsequently a state. In 1939, the Museum was built in the monument to the historic event, and since then has provided materials related to the history of the region and the state.Joined: May 2009.
Founded in 1970, the Sanger Public Library was originally housed in the former Chapman Clinic and moved to a Presbyterian Church in 1972. In 1995, the Library moved to its current building and continues to serve the people of this North Texas town. The Library received a Rescuing Texas History grant.Joined: May 2009.
The William M. Logan Library functions as the academic library at Schreiner University in Kerrville, in the heart of the Texas Hill Country. As part of the Library’s mission to provide innovative information resources, the Logan Library began digitizing special collections and archival items in 2006.Joined: September 2013.
The Schulenburg Historical Museum provides a glimpse into life in the early days of the rural German-Czech community. The Museum houses two significant books about the history of Schulenburg which have previously been unavailable to online researchers.Joined: January 2015.
Members of the Thursday Literary Club started the Shamrock Public Library in 1925, which still serves the people of Shamrock in a modernized building built in 1974. The Library is a member of the Harrington Library Consortium in the Texas Panhandle.Joined: November 2014.
The East Texas town of Silsbee, Hardin County grew out of the creation of the Gulf, Beaumont, and Kansas City Railway in 1894. The Library is part of the Houston Area Library System and provides the community access to information and resources. It received a 2015-2016 Tocker Foundation grant.Joined: May 2016.
The Library, located in Rusk, received a Tocker Foundation grant. Rusk was established by an act of the Texas legislature on April 11, 1846, which defined the boundaries of Cherokee County and called for the county seat to be named for Gen. Thomas Jefferson Rusk, one of the signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence.Joined: November 2011.
The Sinton Public Library is dedicated to serving its patrons and providing excellence in customer service. It provides many services, programs, and opportunities in the community of Sinton and San Patricio County. The Library received a 2016 Tocker Foundation grant.Joined: May 2016.
The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza first opened its doors in 1989 on the sixth and seventh floors of the building formerly known as the Texas School Book Depository in Dallas, the site of the infamous assassination of President John F. Kennedy.Joined: September 2011.
The Slovanska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texas, or the Slavic Benevolent Order of the State of Texas, is a fraternal organization designed to connect the Czech community in Texas. It has served this purpose since 1897.Joined: November 2015.
This non-profit organization was founded in 1959 by individuals and business firms dedicated to discovering, collecting and preserving data, records and other items related to the history of Smith County. The Society received a 2014 Rescuing Texas History grant.Joined: November 2015.
The Smith Public Library is located in Wylie and was established in 1970 by Rita and Truett Smith. Since then, it has grown from a small space in a local bank building to a full-service library, providing story time programs, computer classes, book clubs, and special events.Joined: September 2013.
The Library at the South Texas College of Law, located in downtown Houston, provides materials that support the research and curricular needs of the community. The college opened in 1923, organized by the Young Men's Christian Association in response to a need for adult education.Joined: March 2011.
Southwestern University is a private four-year liberal arts college in Georgetown, Texas and the first institution of higher learning in Texas. Special Collections at Southwestern University is the largest special collection of schools its size.Joined: April 2014.
St. Davids has been a vital force in Austin since its charter in 1859, the result of blending the only two Episcopal parishes in Austin at the time, one Unionist and the other Confederate. This church has continued to provide leadership in important social, political, and cultural matters in every era since.Joined: February 2012.
Founded in 1852 by Marianist brothers and priests, this is the first institution of higher learning in San Antonio and oldest Catholic university in the Southwest. Its mission is forming people in faith and educating leaders for the common good through community; integrated liberal arts and professional education; and academic excellence.Joined: May 2015.
The St. Mary's University School of Law is part of the private, Catholic university based in San Antonio. First established in 1927 as the San Antonio School of Law, it now serves as an internationally recognized legal institution.Joined: February 2015.
St. Philip's College is dedicated to providing an educational environment that stimulates leadership, personal growth, and a lifelong appreciation for learning while focusing on socioeconomic diversity. The Library has maintained a small, select archive since 1978, preserving college and historical documents.Joined: February 2012.
The Stamford Carnegie Library was built in 1910 with a grant from industrialist, and noted philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie. Built in the Classical Revival style and designed by local architect E. G. Withers, the building features an exterior of brick and local Lueders limestone, massive ionic columns, and corner pilasters. Of the 32 Carnegie Libraries built in Texas, it is one of five left in existence today that is still functioning as an active library.Joined: February 2018.
Serving the town of Alto and the surrounding community since 1957, the Library was a project of the Thursday Study Club and named after the club's longtime president. Besides its usual functions as a lending library and internet access point, it has long served as a repository for local history. The Library received a Tocker Foundation grant.Joined: February 2012.
The primary purpose of the East Texas Research Center (ETRC) is to collect, preserve, maintain and make available archival materials that support the educational and research goals of Stephen F. Austin State University (SFA) and the surrounding East Texas community.Joined: October 2015.
The Stephenville Public Library was started in 1903 by the Twentieth Century Club, a local women’s organization. Club volunteers ran the library from their homes, and various locations in the city. In 1919, the Twentieth Century Club raised enough money to buy a lot and a library was constructed at the corner of Green and Erath Streets in 1924. This location was the site of the log cabin Major Erath lived in while laying out the city of Stephenville. In 1968 the United States Government offered the Post Office building, built in 1935, for sale to the city for $1.00, if the city would use it for educational purposes for thirty years.Joined: August 2017.
The Stonewall County Library preserves local history makes it accessible to the public without charge. The Library received funding from parties interested in their projects as well as the Loan Star Libraries grant, a direct state aid program for Texas Public Libraries to Stonewall County Library.Joined: August 2010.
The Library was established in 1907 and seeks to provide a secure and dynamic environment for learning to the community with access to informational, recreational, and educational resources. Through a combination of technology and traditional library services, the Library aims to adequately serve all citizens of Nolan County.Joined: July 2012.
The Swisher County Library, located in the West Texas town of Tulia, serves to document the history and promote learning in the region. For the digitization of newspapers that align with this purpose, the Library received a Tocker Foundation grant.Joined: March 2009.
This Museum is located in Abilene and serves as a display and teaching museum for the study of World War II and its impact on the American people. It primarily contains 12th Armored Division World War II archives, memorabilia, and oral histories, along with selected equipment and material loaned or donated by others.Joined: March 2014.
The town of Taft, formerly known as Mesquital, was established in the early 1900s on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad in San Patricio County. Taft was named for Charles Taft, half-brother of President William Howard Taft. The Library received a 2015 Tocker Foundation grant.Joined: November 2015.
The Talkington/Clement Family Archives include photographs that provide accounts of the Texas frontier before the Civil War, as well as a memoir of Perry Clement Talkington. The family archives also provide a genealogy of both the Talkington and Clement families.Joined: February 2012.
First founded in 1899 as a private, liberal arts college, the school joined the Texas A&M University System in 1917; started granting four-year degrees in 1959; and became a full-fledged university in 1973. With its main campus in Stephenville, it serves as the educational and cultural flagship of the Cross Timbers Region.Joined: February 2011.
The Heritage Room and District Archives were officially established in 2010, but their origins date back to the mid-1970s, with the former opening in 1975. With an emphasis on the cultural heritage of Tarrant County and North Texas, they house thousands of items.Joined: May 2009.
Located in Taylor about 40 miles northeast of Austin, the library provides materials and services to support the needs of its citizens. The mission of the library is to promote a life-long love of reading and to provide educational, informational, and recreational resources to patrons of all ages and of all cultural and economic backgrounds.Joined: February 2012.
The Texas Art Education Association strives to to "promote visual arts education as an integral part of the curriculum through the professional development of knowledge and skills." It provides service and leadership opportunities and addresses policies and decisions relative to practices and directions in visual arts education.Joined: November 2012.
The TCAFS includes people from various state agencies, universities, and businesses. It promotes the conservation, development, and wise utilization of recreational and commercial fisheries. It also supports all branches of fisheries science and practice as well as the exchange and dissemination of knowledge about fishery-related subjects.Joined: January 2013.
The Texas Coastal Bend Collection is located in Victoria. The more than 35-year documentation of the ranching culture in South Texas includes the O'Connor ranches as the focal point. Much of the cultural landscape of the area grew out of the influence of Irish immigrants and the Texas Revolution.Joined: May 2016.
Established in 1837, the General Land Office consists of land grant records and maps dating to the 18th century relating to the passage of Texas public lands to private ownership. Still important to Texans because of their legal value, the materials are also now highly regarded by genealogists, historians, archeologists, and surveyors.Joined: May 2009.
Since it was created by the Texas State Legislature in 1953 and established in 1954, the Texas Historical Foundation has strived to preserve Texas history and promote education. They do so by funding projects that align with this mission in the form of grants.Joined: May 2009.
Founded in 1891, TLU is located in Seguin. With a diverse student body and small class sizes, the school provides a sense of community and an environment where individuality and personal growth are as integral to success as rigorous academics.Joined: March 2017.
Located at Camp Mabry in Austin, the Museum has told the story of Texas military history from 1823 to the present. BG John C.L. Scribner founded the Museum in 1986, when he was tasked by the Adjutant General to establish a museum for the Texas Guard.Joined: June 2016.
Texas Southern University is a comprehensive metropolitan university located in Houston. The university provides academic programs that address critical urban issues and prepare an ethnically diverse student population to become a force for positive change in a global society.Joined: February 2014.
The Texas State Genealogical Society serves to document and provide access to genealogical information and Texas heritage. Membership is open to individuals and organizations who are interested in researching and preserving genealogical and historical records.Joined: May 2009.
Organized in Austin in 1897, the TSHA's mission centers on fostering appreciation, understanding, and teaching of the rich and unique history of Texas. They do so through various programs, research, preservation and publication of historical materials related to the state.Joined: July 2010.
The Texas State Preservation Board was established in 1983 to preserve, maintain, and restore the State Capitol and the General Land Office building. Notable author William Sydney Porter, known by his pen name O. Henry, worked in the department, and many artifacts related to him are still available.Joined: March 2015.
Nestled in the hills of San Marcos, the University was authorized in 1899 and Southwest Texas State Normal School first opened its doors in 1903. The original institution was formed to train teachers, and the school has only expanded in the century since.Joined: October 2015.
Founded in 1890 in Fort Worth, this United Methodist institution has a tradition in the liberal arts and sciences and a focus on professional and career preparation. Texas Wesleyan has historically combined service to a residential population along with its strong commitment to a commuting and adult population.Joined: January 2012.
In 1901, the Texas Legislature founded the Girls Industrial College in Denton, which would become Texas Woman's University in 1957. TWU began admitting men in 1972. Today, the school is a major institution that offers a comprehensive catalog of academic studies.Joined: May 2010.
The Timpson Public Library opened its doors in 2003 in the East Texas town of Timpson, which was named after railroad engineer T.B. Timpson. The Library, in coordination with its genealogical society, received a Tocker Foundation grant.Joined: May 2016.
Established in 1957, the Tittle-Luther Partnership has been the premier architectural design firm in Abilene, Texas before and since merging in 2012 with Lubbock based Parkhill, Smith and Cooper Inc. The firm specializes in architecture and engineering. As one of Parkhill, Smith and Cooper’s regional offices, Tittle-Luther shares an architectural history that spans over 70 years and includes nine locations in Texas and New Mexico.Joined: January 2018.
Travis County contributes selected records from the office of the County Clerk, including probate, deed, and county court records and Commissioners Court minutes, dating from the 1840s to the early 1900s. The Travis County Clerk is the county recorder, clerk to the County Courts, and clerk to the Commissioners Court.Joined: September 2015.
The Travis County Historical Commission was established in 1963, enabled by the Texas Legislature, which provided the framework for such Commissions in every county. The Commission was originally called the Travis County Historical Survey Committee, and updated the name in 1972 to better describe our mission.Joined: October 2017.
The Tyrrell Historical Library collects and preserves the history of the greater Beaumont area, which also includes the history of Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana. The Library as a historical research repository was established in 1975, and has significant archival collections, genealogy records, and Texas history books.Joined: July 2014.
The University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley images include local history materials selected for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the Digitization of At-Risk Photographs and Maps. Images include panoramic photographs of the Southwestern Land Excursion Company and glass plate negatives documenting the history of Hidalgo County.Joined: May 2009.
The University of Dallas Library acquires, organizes, maintains and provides access to printed, non-printed, primary and secondary materials to support the educational, research, and public service programs of the undergraduate and graduate schools.Joined: February 2012.
The University of Houston Library is an academic library system serving students, faculty, staff and general public. They seek to help users find, create and share knowledge by providing highly interactive, personalized library experience for each user and welcoming spaces for collaboration and discovery.Joined: May 2009.
The Library promotes learning, teaching, and research to enrich the intellectual, creative, and professional growth of students and faculty. More than just a warehouse for books, journals, maps, and manuscripts, the Library is a thriving outlet for services available to users with the single mission of providing quality and innovative services.Joined: March 2009.
The Special Collections at the University of Texas at El Paso include book, serial, photographic, and manuscript materials about the history of El Paso and Northern Mexico. The UTEP Library contains digital copies of books from the period of the Mexican Revolution and has participated in a project that digitized the local paper.Joined: January 2012.
UTSA Libraries Special Collections seeks to build, preserve and provide access to our distinctive research collections documenting the diverse histories and development of San Antonio and South Texas. Our collecting priorities include the history of women and gender in Texas, the history of Mexican Americans, activists/activism, the history of the African American and LGBTQ communities in our region, the Tex-Mex food industry, and urban planning.Joined: October 2009.
Established in 1970 with the UT Medical School at San Antonio, the Libraries support the education and research of the faculty, staff, and students of the university’s medical, dental, nursing, graduate, and allied health sciences schools and branches in Harlingen, Laredo, and the South Texas Research Park in San Antonio.Joined: February 2011.
The Mayborn has been a major provider of professionals and academics for all forms of media, profit and nonprofit communication organizations since 1945. Alumni of the School have received many awards, including a number of Pulitzer Prizes.Joined: May 2013.
With locations on the Denton campus of the University of North Texas and one in Dallas, UNT Libraries serves the school and the community by providing access to physical and online collections; The Portal to Texas History and UNT Digital Libraries; academic research, and much, much more.Joined: March 2009.
Serving as both a federal and a state depository library, the UNT Libraries Government Documents Department maintains millions of items in a variety of formats. The department is a member of the FDLP Content Partnerships Program and an Affiliated Archive of the National Archives.Joined: December 2009.
The Special Collections department collects and preserves rare and unique materials including rare books, oral histories, university archives, historical manuscripts, maps, microfilm, photographs, art and artifacts. They are located in UNT's Willis Library in the fourth floor Reading Room.Joined: December 2009.
The Media Library contains the UNT Libraries' nonprint, audiovisual collections. The mission of the UNT Media Library is to support the instructional and research needs of UNT faculty, staff, and students by collecting, maintaining, and providing access to media materials that represent all academic disciplines and all genres of film.Joined: December 2009.
Affiliated with the UNT Department of History, the Oral History Program records, transcribes, and archives oral history interviews in order to preserve the history of the North Texas region. The program also trains UNT students in the theory and methods of oral history, conducts workshops for members of the larger community, and maintains partnerships with a variety of related institutions and organizations.Joined: November 2011.
The University of North Texas Press was founded in 1987 and published its first book in 1989. Though it is the newest university press in North Texas, it has quickly become a leading press with the most titles in print (more than 300) and published (15 to 18 each year). The UNT Press is a fully accredited member of the Association of American University Presses. Its books are distributed and marketed nationally and internationally through the Texas A&M University Press Consortium.Joined: December 2009.
The HRC serves MD Anderson and the larger scholarly community by preserving, cataloging, and providing access to materials documenting the clinical, research, educational, and cancer prevention activities of MD Anderson's faculty, staff, and affiliated organizations. The "Making Cancer History Voices" collection documents the history of the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. Personal interviews with the men and women of M.D. Anderson who dedicated their work to eliminating cancer provide unique insights into a host of important social, medical, political, and scientific developments related to cancer.Joined: June 2011.
UT Southwestern Medical Center Library contributes a book for the Lorenzo de Zavala Online: Empresario, Statesman and Texas Revolutionary collection: Memorial to the legislature of the State of Texas, of Wm. H. Jones, Administrator of the estate of Lorenzo de Zavala, deceased, empresario of Zavala's Colony.Joined: May 2009.
Victoria College/University of Houston-Victoria presents over 200 photographs belonging to J.D. Mitchell, a rancher in Calhoun County who would later serve as a Texas state representative. The photographs depict ranching practices, hunting and the topography of Calhoun and Victoria County.Joined: November 2009.
The Westbank Community Library District contributes select items from the Eanes History Collection detailing the growth of Westlake Hills and Rollingwood, TexasJoined: September 2016.
The Witte Museum contributes more than 200, The Witte Museum's more than 183,000 artifacts include diverse collections in anthropology, archives, arms and armor, art, history, military history, natural history, and textiles, and reflect the cultural mix of South Texas and illustrates how each is intertwined in the lives of South Texans of the past, present, and future.Joined: February 2012.
Founded by twelve women with just one shelf of books in 1965, the Walker County Genealogical Society celebrated its 50th anniversary in June of 2015. The Society currently has 150 members. The Society’s purpose is to further the knowledge of genealogical research, to assist others with the family lines, to exchange knowledge gleaned from experience in various areas of research, and to maintain a library of resource materials.Joined: February 2016.
The Weatherford College collections include early photographs from the College's founding, as well as images from the Jim Wright collection and Mary Martin collection. Jim Wright served 34 years in the U. S. House of Representatives, and two years as Speaker of the House, and this collection features images of politicians such as Ronald Reagan, George Bush and many others collected by Jim Wright over the years. The Mary Martin collection features images from her days as a Broadway star.Joined: May 2009.
The Weslaco Museum's collections feature photographs from Weslaco's annual "Birthday Party" fashion show. Organized by the Chamber of Commerce to highlight the fruit and vegetables grown in the Rio Grande Valley, area citizens created and modeled clothing made from local fruit, vegetables, and flowers.Joined: May 2009.
The West Public Library opened its current location in 1989 after the local community raised half of the costs through various fundraisers matching the other half of the costs provided by the City of West. The West Public Library presents the West Newspaper Collection. On June 11, 1892 West was officially organized into a town. It had become the center of commerce for the area.Joined: March 2015.
Western Texas College Library features a selection of archival materials that document the college's founding and correspondence with notable statesmen. Western Texas College, located in Snyder, Texas offers programs of study that qualify students for the Associate of Arts or Associate of Science Degree and programs that qualify students for the Associate of Applied Science Degree.Joined: June 2014.
Wiley College partnered with the Portal to provide access to a few of the earliest Wiley University (as it was known then) yearbooks. as well as a biography of College President Matthew W. Dogan. Wiley College was founded in 1873, and is one of the first predominately African-American Colleges west of the Mississippi River.Joined: May 2010.
The Williamson Museum contributes over one hundred photographs and contributes to the Are We There Yet? Transportation in Central Texas collection. Ranging from the 1860s to the 1970s, the photos depict historical transportation methods used in Texas.Joined: February 2012.
The Winkler County Library is the primary information and resource center for Winkler County and the communities of Kermit and Wink. More than 30,000 volumes and numerous library services are available to the public. Services range from internet and Wi-Fi access, online data bases, fax and copy services, large print materials, audio books, Summer Reading program for the kids plus Preschool story hour.Joined: August 2017.
The Wolf Creek Heritage Museum partnered with us to provide access to materials that document the history of Lipscomb County. Materials include photographs of early citizens, tornado damage from the devastating storms of 1947 and 1949, and ranching. The collections also include two books: Lipscomb County Cemeteries and A History of Lipscomb County, Texas, 1876-1976.Joined: May 2009.
Formerly the Cedar Hill Public Library, the Library began in a small frame building in 1948. Its current building was completed in 1987. Its mission is to be a place that acts as the door to discovery that connects a culturally rich and diverse community to resources that promote lifelong literacy, the arts, and personal development.Joined: April 2014.