Anderson County Historical Commission - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard Home]

Description: Photograph of the front and south side of "A.R. Howard Home," a two-story, Victorian Italianate-style house located at 619 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. This house is noteworthy because of its load-bearing masonry (brick) construction and its segmental-arched openings, bracketed eaves, and low-pitched roof. The house is behind a brick fence with metal ornamentation.
Date: 1965~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Bratton Drug Store - Corner of N. Sycamore and W. Oak Str]

Description: Photograph of the Bratton Drug Company on the northwest corner of W. Oak and N. Sycamore streets in Palestine, Texas, looking west on Oak. It is a two-story brick building with a series of four-pane windows along both sides of the upper story. There is a sign that says "Bratton Drug Co." above the first story, in between "Coca Cola" signs. Several unidentified people are walking on the sidewalk and vehicles are parked along Oak street.
Date: 1965~
Creator: McReynolds, Oliver
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[Danny Vance]

Description: Photo of Danny Vance 1962 graduate of Palestine High School
Date: c. 1962
Creator: Osjetea Briggs
Item Type: Photograph

[Vannoy Cafe]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Vannoy Cafe. Several men and a young boy are seated at the counter; one gentleman is standing next to an open seat. Three women are behind the counter. The young woman seated at the window on the right side of the photograph has been identified as Oneta Faye Killebrew Tyer, and the woman standing beside her as Mrs. Jean Vannoy. Various items are stacked on the counter and shelf against the wall. The front door and windows are visible in the background.
Date: 1960~
Creator: Watkins Studio
Item Type: Photograph

[1011 N. Perry - Howard House]

Description: Photograph of the front of the "Howard House" located at 1011 N. Perry in Palestine, Texas. The house is a one-story, white, antebellum-style house with Greek revival influence. There are square columns along the front porch and a brick chimney on the side of the house. A sign in the front yard says "The Howard House Museum, Open Saturday & Sunday, 2 to 5 P.M."
Date: April 1969
Item Type: Photograph
Location Info:

[O'Neill Hotel - 313 Spring Street]

Description: Photo of the O'Neill Hotel and Coffee Shop, which was located at 313 Spring Street, Palestine. It was actually the third hotel to sit on the site. In 1873, following the coming of the railroad to town, the Laclede Hotel was built there, but was destroyed by fire in 1876. The following year, a Dr. Manning of Oakwood erected a brick building known as the International Hotel on that location. It was purchased in 1882 by Col. George Burkitt who turned over operations to Mrs. Emma Nolen. During her tenure, the property was known as the Nolen Hotel, but when she moved to St. Louis, Col. Burkitt himself took over the management. That building was razed in 1922 and the "new" O'Neill, maiden surname of Burkitt's Irish born mother, was constructed on the site. The O'Neill boasted not only hot and cold running water in its guest rooms, it was also equipped with an electric Otis elevator and a radio receiving set on the mezzanine for entertainment of the hotel's guests. When Texas Gov. Ross Sterling declared martial law in the East Texas Oil Fields and ordered the National Guard to take it over and shut-in all wells, the O'Neill became the staging center where the command cadre spent its first night "in the field." During the oil boom, the hotel was a favorite meeting place for oil operators, lease hounds and geologists. Among the famous early day oil men who slept under its roof and conducted business out of its rooms were H.L. Hunt, Harold Byrd, Jack Frost and other wildcatters. Those were the "glory days" of the venerable hotel, but not the end. The hotel was sold a number of times, and despite halfhearted attempts to restore it, the condition of the building went downhill. It was demolished ...
Date: c. 1960
Item Type: Photograph