Alexander Memorial Library

The present Alexander Memorial Library began as a woman's reading circle. Then in 1937 the Book Club of Cotulla was organized at the home of Mrs. J.T. Maltsberger, Jr. The Club's members donated books and solicited subscribers who paid a membership fee of $2.50. The Book Club of Cotulla became a subscription library.

In 1938, a free library became a reality. When the library became a city library, however, it was to provide services to the residents of La Salle County. The County appropriated $10.00 monthly toward the maintenance of the library plus a room in the courthouse for their quarters. Other revenues used for maintenance came from rentals on new books, fines and rummages sales. In 1947, the City of Cotulla agreed to give the library $10.00 per month as well. Since that time, the library has been supported by both entities.

After being housed at the courthouse, the library was relocated to the Amberson building until the “La Salle County Library” as it was called, was moved to its present location. It opened its doors in 1974 and the name was changed to the Alexander Memorial Library, in appreciation of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Alexander's generosity, contributors of the funds for the new library.


Help Desk



201 Center Street
Cotulla, Texas 78014


At a Glance

Cite This Partner

Here is our suggested citation. Consult an appropriate style guide for conformance to specific guidelines.

Alexander Memorial Library, partner contributing to The Portal to Texas History. University of North Texas Libraries. accessed September 25, 2023.

Back to Top of Screen