Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 1,128 Matching Results

Search Results

1887 Graduating class of Austin High School

Description: Photograph of the 1887 graduating class of Austin High School. Front row (left to right): Pearl Caswell, Nannie Kelley, Florence Collins, Lucille James. Middle row (left to right): Eliza Mitchell, J. H. Bryant (professor), Minnie Sykes. Back row standing (left to right): unidentified woman, Mila Morris, Janie Maxwell, unidentified woman, Eve Sadler, Gertrude Whitis, Helen Grant, and William Gorden.
Date: 1887

1958 Power Plant Installation

Description: Photograph of the front of the City of Austin Power Plant building. A City of Austin vehicle is parked in front of the building.
Date: 1958
Location Info:

[19th Street Looking West]

Description: Photograph of 19th Street (now Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.) looking west from about Trinity. Buildings line the left side of the street and construction vehicles and workers are on the right side.
Date: January 19, 1965
Creator: City of Austin
Location Info:

[2nd Infantry Division on Parade]

Description: Photograph of two M8 Greyhound armored scout cars from the 2nd Infantry Division on parade through downtown Austin. The 2nd Infantry Division was stationed in Texas to train up for their deployment to the South Pacific, which never happened.
Date: March 29, 1946
Creator: Allison Photograph Service

The 2nd State Capitol

Description: Photograph of the 2nd capitol building for the state of Texas. There is a attached to the bottom right hand corner of the photograph a label that reads "The 2nd State Capital [sic]. Located on the site of the present Capital [sic], Burned in 1881." The land in front of the building is terraced and a pathway extends from the entrance down the terraces.
Date: [1853, 1881]

[E. 4th Street, Austin, TX]

Description: Photograph of the 800 blocks of E. 4th Street looking east. Austin Pipe & Supply Co. is on the south side of the street.
Date: March 27, 1959
Creator: City of Austin
Location Info:

[E. 6th Street and Brazos]

Description: Photograph of the Northeast corner of E. 6th Street and Brazos. St. David's is in the upper left of the photograph and the two story building is where the Driskell now stands.
Date: unknown

[Achilles Grocery]

Description: Photograph of Achilles Grocery as seen from the corner. Located at 1523 Lavaca Street. Men are standing in front on the porch, and the sign on the building reads "W.A. Achilles General Merchandise."
Date: 1895

Adams Extract Company

Description: Photograph of a man working with equipment at the Adams Extract Company.
Date: 196u
Creator: Haddon, E.P.

[Adult Friendship Club at Hancock]

Description: Photograph of several dozen people gathered at the Hancock Recreation Center. One couple in the background is dancing. Caption on the back reads: "Adult Friendship Club, Hancock."
Date: 1957
Creator: Recreation Department

[Aerial View of Austin Municipal Airport]

Description: Photograph of aerial view of the Mueller Municipal Airport, with view of main building and control tower in foreground and the runways in the background.
Date: 196u

[Aerial View of Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX taken from south of the Colorado River looking up Congress Avenue towards the Texas State Capitol Building.
Date: unknown
Creator: Douglass, Neal

[Aerial View of Austin, TX]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX looking directly west from the Capitol dome. The photograph is of Block 135, which includes, Dr. Hayne's house, built by Abner Cook. Dr. Hayne's house was later Abner Cook's home and later the Quality Shops after it was moved to the front of the lot in the center of the block.
Date: unknown
Creator: Capital Engraving Co.

[Aerial View of Austin, TX]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX. The "Power House" or Boiler House is for construction of new Capitol building that began in 1881. A Swedish or German Lutheran church is in the foreground. The building in the distance, left of the Power House stack is the old City Hospital.
Date: unknown

[Aerial View of Austin, TX]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Austin, TX taken from north of E. 15th Street. There are markers on the photograph indicating E. 15th ST., E. 11th ST., E. 8th ST., E. 7th ST., E. 4th ST., an the Colorado River. US-81 (present-day IH-35) can be seen running north and south through the left side of the photograph and the Capitol Building can be seen on the right.
Date: unknown
Creator: City of Austin

[Aerial view of courts and seats at Caswell Tennis Center]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of all six tennis courts, spectator stands, and parking at the Caswell Tennis Center on Shoal Creek at 24th and N. Lamar. Two men's doubles matches are visible in the back two courts. Spectators crowd in the shade under the awning. Residential neighborhoods are visible behind the tennis courts in the background.
Date: June 20, 1950
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Aerial View of Deep Eddy]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Deep Eddy pool and surrounding area. The pool is dried out and the trees are bare indicating winter. There are no visible people or activity near the pool. Deep Eddy began as a natural swimming hole in the Colorado River and was expanded into a man-made swimming pool in 1915 by A.J. Eilers, Sr. Deep Eddy pool is the oldest swimming pool in Texas and is operated and maintained by the City of Austin.
Date: 19uu

[Aerial View of Disch Field]

Description: Aerial photograph of Disch Field and surrounding area. The parking lot is full of cars and the stands appear to be full though there are no players on the field.
Date: unknown

[Aerial View of Governor's Mansion]

Description: Early photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation from a high vantage point across the street, showing lot in front of the mansion, grounds. The Carriage House is visible behind trees to the right of the mansion. A wooden fence is visible behind the mansion, but other fences are removed. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1909 was Governor Thomas Mitchell Campbell. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1909

[Aerial View of Municipal Airport]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of construction of the municipal airport. The terminal building is surrounded by dirt fields.
Date: August 23, 1960