Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 20 Matching Results

Search Results

[19th Street Looking West]

Description: Photograph of 19th Street (now Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.) looking west from about Trinity. Buildings line the left side of the street and construction vehicles and workers are on the right side.
Date: January 19, 1965
Creator: City of Austin
Location Info:

[Boys making model airplanes at the Pan American Recreation Center in Austin]

Description: Photograph of a group of six Latino youth making balsa-wood airplanes from a Comet brand "Air-Age Educational Kit" at the Pan American Recreation Center (Pan American Community Center), 300 Comal Street, in Austin. The boys are working at two picnic tables placed end-to-end. Several other people, including a girl, two boys, a man and a woman, stand behind the table either observing or assisting. There is a Mexican tourism poster featuring a woman, with her hair in braids, holding a basket of fruit on the wall behind one of the tables.
Date: November 19, 1946
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory, City of Austin

[Dan Davidson and Jack Robinson]

Description: Photograph of (left to right): Dan Davidson, Austin City Manager, shaking the hand of Jack Robinson, Director of Austin Parks and Recreation Department (facing) in an office. Architectural plans lean against the wall behind manager Davidson.
Date: September 19, 1973
Creator: City of Austin

[Dress fitting at Pan American Recreation Center]

Description: Photograph of a woman standing with her right arm lifted while a seamstress works on the waistline of her dress. More women are working on sewing machines or sewing by hand. Several women measure and cut fabric in the back. This sewing room was in the old Pan American Recreation Center at 3rd Street and Comal Street. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: November 19, 1946
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Emancipation Day Celebration band, June 19, 1900]

Description: Photograph of African-American band at Emancipation Day celebration, June 19, 1900, held in "East Woods" on East 24th Street in Austin. Mrs. Grace Murray Stephenson kept a diary of the day's events, which she later sold to the San Francisco Chronicle, which wrote a full-page feature on it.
Date: June 19, 1900
Creator: Stephenson, Mrs. Charles (Grace Murray)

[Emancipation Day Celebration, June 19, 1900]

Description: Photograph of Emancipation Day celebration, June 19, 1900 held in "East Woods" on East 24th Street in Austin. Mrs. Grace Murray Stephenson also kept a diary of the day's events which she sold to the San Francisco Chronicle which reported a full-page feature on it.
Date: June 19, 1900
Creator: Stephenson, Mrs. Charles (Grace Murray)

[Golfer teeing off at Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a man teeing off at the start of a drive on the Austin Municipal Golf Course. His golf bag lies on the ground behind him. Trees are visible in the background. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 19, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Golfers putting on Municipal Golf Course green]

Description: Photograph of Four men at putting green on the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Their golf bags lie on the ground at the far edge of the green. Golfers are visible in the background. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 19, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Group teeing off at the Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a group of golfers getting ready to tee off in front of the Austin Municipal Golf Course club house. Their golf bags are on the ground around them. The club house is visible in the background. The shadow of a tree is on the green in the foreground. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 19, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

Pan American Citizenship Class

Description: Photograph of ten elderly women and three men sit around a table at the Pan American Recreation Center for a United States citizenship class. A double sink and cupboards are in the background. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: April 19, 1961
Creator: Recreation Dept, City of Austin

[Rosewood Park pool]

Description: Photograph of the swimming pool at the Rosewood Park for Negroes. The pool was built by J.F. Johnson Construction and is seventy feet wide by seventy five feet long, and runs three feet to seven feet and six inches deep. The photo is of the shallow end of the pool. Two cars are parked in near the pool. A lifeguard sits underneath a rules notice.
Date: May 19, 1936
Creator: Ellison Photo Service

[Rosewood Park swimming pool]

Description: Photograph of the empty swimming pool at Rosewood Park for Negroes. The photograph shows the shower in the middle left where swimmers can wash off grass and dirt before entering the pool. The diving board is visible behind the shower indicating this is a photo of the deep end of the pool. A lifeguard sits in the lifeguard chair at the far end of the pool. A swing set is partially visible behind the diving board and a some trees.
Date: May 19, 1936
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin

View at Municipal Golf Course

Description: Photograph of two golfers teeing off at the start of a drive on the Austin Municipal Golf course. Concrete arrows point the direction of the green. A Lions Club lion statue is visible behind the golfers. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 19, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

View [of club house] at Municipal Golf Course

Description: Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course and Club House and lawn. The grass is freshly mowed and the club house is partially obscured in the background by trees and shrubs. Club house entrance and right elevation are visible. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 19, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

Wooden Arch Hangar at Robert Mueller Airport

Description: Photograph of a wooden arch hangar at Robert Mueller Airport, built summer 1943. Writing on the back of the photograph reads: "The glued, laminated wood arches were built onsite. The curve was formed to templates laid out on the floor and constructed of 1" X 10" yellow pine plank. They were bolted together at the center and hoisted in place to receive the roof joists. Built by J.M. Odom Construction Co. Work supervised by Charles Morton, chief estimator."
Date: June 19, 1946