Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 13 Matching Results

Search Results

[Gaston Avenue]

Description: Photograph of Gaston Avenue looking east to McCallum Drive; Pemberton Heights subdivision. Houses are visible on both sides of the street and in the background; also in the far background is the UT tower.
Date: January 25, 1940
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory
Location Info:

[Old Austin Power Plant boiler room building]

Description: Photograph of a tilted view of the east facade of a boiler room at the old Austin Power Plant, near the site of the existing Seaholm Power Plant at 800 West Cezar Chavez Street. The concrete building has metal commercial windows and a vent stack is visible to the left of the building. A railroad bridge is visible in the background. Constructed during the 1930s, this building was demolished in the 1960s. A rubber stamp on the verso of the print reads: "BOONE's, FEB 25 1942, Austin, Texas". Boone Photo Company offered both photo finishing and commercial photography services.
Date: February 25, 1942
Creator: Boone Photo Company

Santa Rita Street

Description: Photograph of a view down Santa Rita Street looking West from Perdenales in East Austin. L.A. Preston Food Store can be seen on the South side of the street.
Date: January 25, 1940
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory

[Train on Waller Creek Bridge]

Description: Photograph of the front view of a steam train paused on the Waller Creek bridge in Austin. Buildings can be seen on both the right and left hand side of the bridge. There are passengers visible on the platform to the left of the train. On the back of the photograph there is a note that reads "With a little steam left this forerunner of a soon-to-be speeding civilization has stopped on the little Waller Creek bridge in Austin to let the passengers from Houston and other points out a the Depot House, Christmas day, 1871." Also on the back there is a note that reads "504 E 5th(?) Houston & Texas Central."
Date: December 25, 1871