Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 12 Matching Results

Search Results

Athol Estes Porter Autograph book

Description: Autograph album belonging to Athol Estes, includes 10-line two stanza poem. First letters of first five lines acrostically spell Athol (first letters of lines) and Estes (last letters of lines). Signed "W.S.P."
Date: September 25, 1885
Creator: Henry, O., 1862-1910

D.E. Hall School of Domestic Economy

Description: Photograph of a group of women sitting out front of the D.E. Hall of Domestic Economy. These women were associated with the Young Women's Christian Association as indicated by notes on the back of the photograph. Stamped on one of the boards of the school is [CALC]ASIEU LUMBER referring to Calcasieu Lumber Company which was established in Austin,Texas in the early 1880s.
Date: [1885, 1920]

Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin, 1885-86

Description: General directory for Austin, Texas includes address listings for businesses and individuals as well as advertisements from local businesses. According to the title page, the directory contains "the present state, county and city governments; a complete list of all county officials, post offices, telegraph, express, and money order offices in Texas; also, an index of societies, associations, corporations, churches, educational institutes, the full name and address of all residents, their occupations or pursuits, and a Complete Classified Business Directory. Also, a Valuable Map of the City."
Date: [1885]
Creator: Morrison & Fourmy

[Reeves County Officials]

Description: Group Photograph of Reeves County Officials in Pecos, Texas. Also present in this picture are a child and three pet dogs. Identified on the back are George Phillips, Judge Harrell, Ed McGee, J.K. Harrington, C.B. Calahan Sr., George Phillips Jr., W.N. Merritt, Tip Deal, Kirk Turnbo, and Tom Babb.
Date: 1885~

[St. David's Episcopal Church exterior]

Description: Photograph of an oblique view of the south front and west side of Saint David's Episcopal Church located at 301 East 8th Street. The gothic revival stone building has punched gothic windows, edged with stone quoins on the south facade, engaged pilasters and dormer vents. The symetrical south front has a central tower and castleated parapets. Two entrances are visible, both on the west facade: one on the south end and one on the north. There are four children standing in front of the west facade facing the camera, and what appears to be gas lamp standard at the southwest corner. The building was originally constructed in 1854. In 1870 the south addition was constructed, and the south tower was completed in 1885.
Date: 1885/1900