Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 13 Matching Results

Search Results

[Austin High School students read at long tables in the school library, Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of students reading at long wooden tables in the school library at Austin High School. They are seated in wooden chairs with vertical back slats. The view is taken through an ornamental wrought iron arch, featuring scrolls, a Texas star and the letters "AHS" at each top corner. The iron work may be attributable to the Weigl Iron Works, a local business known for architectural and decorative iron work.
Date: 1934

Club House at the Golf Course

Description: Photograph of the Austin Municipal Golf Course club house and surrounding landscape. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: 1934/unknown
Creator: Identification Bureau, Austin Police Dept.

Interior of senior high library [at Austin High School]

Description: Photograph of interior of the senior high library at Austin High School from behind the circulation desk. Students fill the wooden tables, five or six per table. Girls sit together, as do boys, with some mixing. Card catalog drawers are on the circulation desk the foreground, as are books stacked and standing. A wall clock wrapped in ivy hangs on the wall above a bust on a mantle above a bricked in fireplace on the rear wall. Sunlight comes in through high windows on both left and right of the image. Double doors indicate the exit at the back of the room on the right. Paint is chipped from tabletop edges at the tables where students are seated in wooden chairs with vertical slats.
Date: May 7, 1934
Creator: Boone, Alanson D.

[Library interior of Austin High School with students reading at tables, Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of students reading at long wooden tables in the Austin High School library, located at 1202 Rio Grande. The students are seated in wooden chairs with vertical back slats. The circulation desk is visible at the back of the room, and there are two framed prints on the walls. There are four pendant schoolhouse lamps on the ceiling, and a ceiling fan over the circulation desk. The name Mameye Robison is written on the foreedge of a book stacked on a table near the front of the photograph.
Date: December 11, 1934

[University of Texas Old Main Building at night]

Description: Photograph of the University of Texas Old Main Building at night. The foyer and the clock face are lit from within. All other windows remain dark and uninhabited. The main front staircase is lit from a street lamp that is out of left frame. Ivy covers the lower half of the main building. The Old Main Building was constructed in three phases and completed in 1899. It remained the main administrative and library building for 35 years until its destruction in 1934.
Date: [..1934]
Creator: Barnes, Walter