Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 28 Matching Results

Search Results

[Gaston Avenue]

Description: Photograph of Gaston Avenue looking east to McCallum Drive; Pemberton Heights subdivision. Houses are visible on both sides of the street and in the background; also in the far background is the UT tower.
Date: January 25, 1940
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory
Location Info:

[Golfers putting on green at Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a man in suit putting while another golfer looks on. Golfers stand and sit in the shade under trees in the background. The Austin Municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: February 1, 1940
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Governor's Mansion behind trees and under snow]

Description: Photograph of Texas Governor's Mansion grounds with snow, trees, greenhouse visible, south and front elevation. Seen from West 10th and Colorado Streets. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The mansion was occupied by Governor W. Lee O'Daniel and his wife Molly in 1940 when this image was taken. The mansion was named a Texas historic landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1940

[Guadalupe Street]

Description: Photograph of Guadalupe Street, looking south from 29th street, before street railway tracks were removed. A Humble service station is on the left side of the street and several other businesses including a laundry are on the right. The UT tower is visible in the background.
Date: June 18, 1940
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory
Location Info:

[Last streetcar in front of Palm School, Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of an Austin Street Railway Company streetcar in front of the Palm School on First Street (now Cesar Chavez), reportedly taken on the last day of streetcar service in Austin. A group of children and a few women, possibly students and teachers, are standing on the sidewalk in front of the school, waving at the streetcar. There is a blurred car in the foreground, about to pass the streetcar on the right, and another car is behind the streetcar on the right side of the photograph. The Austin Chronicle reported on July 21, 2000 that "(t)he last day for Austin's streetcars came on February 7, 1940. By June (1940), most of the tracks had been torn up and paved over. The last tracks were removed in 1942, providing 50,000 pounds of steel for use in World War II."
Date: February 7, 1940

Lifeguards of Barton Springs

Description: Photograph of Barton Springs lifeguards. ID on back. Seated L-R: J. Garrison; C. Kelly, B; Estrada, N. Hargrave, J. Terrell, L. Baker, J. Toomy, S. Wilkerson, O. Ludwig, J. Prowse. Back Row L-R: B. Rundel, C. Extram, D. Gross, B. Wright, unidentified, Bev Sheffield.
Date: 1940
Creator: Boone

[Removal of Railroad Tracks from E. 1st St.]

Description: Photograph of East 1st Street, showing brick immediately after rails have been picked up and method of loading rails. Houses on either side of the street are visible on both sides of the street. Workers and their vehicles are in the background.
Date: May 20, 1940
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory

Santa Rita Street

Description: Photograph of a view down Santa Rita Street looking West from Perdenales in East Austin. L.A. Preston Food Store can be seen on the South side of the street.
Date: January 25, 1940
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory

[Streetcar on West 40th Street]

Description: Photograph of "West 40th Street, looking east from Guadalupe Street, before street railway tracks were removed." A streetcar is in the middle of the road and cars are on each side.
Date: January 18, 1940
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory
Location Info: