Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 14 Matching Results

Search Results

[Aerial view of courts and seats at Caswell Tennis Center]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of all six tennis courts, spectator stands, and parking at the Caswell Tennis Center on Shoal Creek at 24th and N. Lamar. Two men's doubles matches are visible in the back two courts. Spectators crowd in the shade under the awning. Residential neighborhoods are visible behind the tennis courts in the background.
Date: June 20, 1950
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Disch Field]

Description: Photograph of the outfield of Disch Field with a few baseball players on it. "Disch" is mowed into the lawn. The scoreboard is for Austin vs. Sherman. A body works shop is in the background.
Date: 1950~

[Pan American Recreation Center Halloween]

Description: Photograph of three women and five children pose for a photo. One boy wears a Halloween mask he likely made himself. Another mischevious boy lands a kick to another boy's hip. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: October 31, 1950
Creator: Parks and Recreation Dept., City of Austin

[Seaholm Power Plant Intake Facility]

Description: Photograph of the lake side view of the Seaholm Power Plant Intake facility. The Art Deco concrete facility was designed by Burns & McDonnell Engineering Company and was built in two phases in 1950 and 1955 by Odom Construction Company. The facility operated as a power plant until 1989 and was finally decommissioned in 1996 by the city of Austin. The intake facility is located on the shores of Lady Bird Lake and the Ann and Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail.
Date: December 1, 1950
Creator: City of Austin

[View looking south on Guadalupe Street, "the Drag", at 24th Street]

Description: Photograph of Guadalupe Street, also known as "the Drag," at 24th Street, looking south. The view includes the Varsity Theater in foreground on the right, and an oblique view of the U. T. campus in the background on the left. Just past the intersection is a pickup truck stopped in the street, and three men wearing hats appear to be repairing a hole in the road next to the pickup. The back of a highway sign, for Texas highways 79, 81, and 183, faces south on the northbound side of the road. There are raised medians on Guadalupe near the intersection. Commercial signs for Lou's Cafe and Chenards Music Store are visible on the west side of Guadalupe, and a number of automobiles are parked on the street.
Date: 1950/1953