Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 15 Matching Results

Search Results

[L.C. Anderson High School closing boycott]

Description: Photograph of students boycotting the closing of L.C. Anderson High School. The school was ordered closed in 1971 by a federal judge as part of desegregation. African-American students and parents sit on sidewalks and cars to protest the closing. The school, located at 900 Thompson Street, was originally named E.H. Anderson, and later renamed L.C. Anderson after one of its longest-serving principals. In 1973, a new, integrated L.C. Anderson High School reopened at its current location at 8403 Mesa Drive.
Date: 1971

[Governor's Mansion with fence]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation, landscaping, and ironwork fence with whitewashed brick wall reading "Governor's Mansion" with an ironwork star in the wall. The shutters are open to the bare tree branches. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1971 was Governor Preston Smith. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1971
Creator: Horberger, Carl

[Man welding at Weigl Iron Works in Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of a man wearing a welding mask, leather apron, jeans and work shirt, welding something on a bench in a work room. The wooden door to the room is open, and appears to let in light from the outside. There is a sign on the door that reads: "OPEN COME IN", and there are symbols branded into the door. Wires are strung across the rough wood plank floor, and many metal items are stacked on the floor, the workbench, and on shelves around the walls.
Date: [1971..1977]
Creator: Austin Citizen