Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

East Avenue

Description: East Avenue below 3rd St. before the street was paved.
Date: 1933
Creator: Jordan-Ellison
Item Type: Photograph

[Falstaff Beer Trucks]

Description: Beer trucks belonging to the Lightsey Carroll Company Distributors stand at the ready to deliver beer to thirsty Austinites. Featuring the Capitol in the background lends an air of legality to beer distribution, particularly considering that Prohibition had ended just five months before.
Date: May 25, 1934
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Item Type: Photograph

[Gearing Hall, Painter Hall and Lily Pond]

Description: Looking northeast from the lily pond behind the Tower on the University of Texas campus. Gearing Hall, known then as the Home Economics building, on the left and the Painter Hall, then the Physics building, on the right, are in view.
Date: September 1936
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Item Type: Photograph

Guadalupe and 38th St.

Description: Guadalupe Street looking south from 38th St. before paving project. Jimmyville Ice Cream on the east side of the street.
Date: 1933
Creator: Jordan-Ellison
Item Type: Photograph

[O. Henry House]

Description: Moving the O. Henry house to its present location as the O. Henry Museum at 409 E. 5th.
Date: 1934
Creator: Jordan-Ellison Co.
Item Type: Photograph

Nineteenth Street looking east

Description: Nineteenth Street looking east after street paving. Waller Creek bridge in view. Photo reads, "Asutin Street Paving, Soutwest Bitulithic Co., Contractor, H. R. F. Helland, Consulting Engineer."
Date: 1930-10-31~
Creator: Jordan-Ellison
Item Type: Photograph

[Texas Ranger Captains]

Description: Four men standing behind a seated man on a porch. Back reads: "Texas Ranger Captains. Seated: Captain Dan Roberts. Standing L to R: Captain J. A. Brooks, Adjutant General W. W. Sterling, former Ranger Captain Frank A Hamer and Captain John R. Hughes."
Date: August 30, 1932
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Item Type: Photograph