Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

[African-American families]
Photograph of a family of African-Americans standing in front of a log cabin. A young girl stands in the open doorway of the cabin and looks on at the family portrait.
Aunt Sallie Carlton
Photograph of an elderly woman by the name of Sallie Carlton. Carlton was the wife of Charles Carlton, founder of Carlton College in Bonham.
Barton Creek Bridge
Photograph of three women and a baby in front of the bridge.
[E. F. Caldwell]
Photograph of E. F. Caldwell, father of Frank Caldwell. A handwritten note at the foot of the image says, "Papa." Carte-de-visite format.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion. "The Governor's Mansion after Texas became a state in 1846, and stands today, although much altered and improved. It is still the Governor's Mansion. It was and is located one black SW of the Capitol." is written on back of photograph.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion from around 1869. Taken from a stereoscope view.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion view from across Colorado Street to the northwest, looking at the front (east) and south elevations, showing unpainted brick, people sitting on the front porch, the original staircase, and the original cantilevered balcony. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1866 was Governor James W. Throckmorton. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
[Governor's Mansion & Baptist Church]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion and Baptist Church. "Pease Stero Picture 5"
Grist Mill on Barton Springs
Photograph of men on the banks of the springs. Horse-drawn carriage up on hill next to the mill.
[Group of Young African Americans]
Photograph of a group of young African-Americans in front of a brick building. The men have removed their hats for the photo, and several men and women carry books in their hands or laps.
John and Mary Caldwell
Photograph of John and Mary Caldwell, an elderly couple. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph says, "Grandpa & Grandma Caldwell." Carte-de-visite format.
[Man on Horse on East Sixth Street]
Photograph of 200 East Sixth Street circa 1866. The man on horse is William Oliphant who owned a jewelry store on Pecan Street in 1852. The child with him is Will Carter. The Missouri House, Michael Ziller residence, is in the background.
Negroes at McFadden Place near Circleville, Texas
Photograph of a family of women and children doing laundry under a tree by the banks of a river at McFadden [sic] Place near Circleville, Texas in Williamson County.
Pontoon bridge across the Colorado
Men on horses crossing the Colorado River on a pontoon bridge.
[Railroad near Llano]
Photograph of a crowd of people and horse-drawn carriages gathered around a train on a railroad in a forest. A note on back reads "Mr. Will Todman from England, Time Keeper for Quarries at Llano, Texas. Quarrying granite for consturction of the State Capitol at Austin. 50,000 tones narrow [illegible] R.R. A. & N.W. Near Llano -- before R.R. was finished to an Austin Band was was hired to play -- Group Moore F. [illegible], (Major Ramsdell)."
[Scholz Garden]
Photograph of the exterior of Scholz Garden (Scholz Garten/Scholz Beer Garden) with an unidentified man standing in front of the door.
[St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of the exterior of St. David's Episcopal church. There are many people standing outside of the church.
[Tightrope walker John Devier on Congress Avenue]
Photograph of a crowd gathered to watch a tight rope walker. Caption reads, "Scene on Congress Avenue in 1867, showing exhibition by a tight-rope walker (Devier) across the Avenue from the historic old Avenue Hotel at Eighth and Congress, on East side. The carriage at the left, entering the Avenue, is that of Gov. E. M. Pease (Gov. from 1853-57 and 1867-69)."
[View of Austin, TX]
Photograph of a view of Austin, TX taken from the top of a government building.
Yarborough, Wilson & Co.
Photograph of a house in Anderson, Texas. A small herd of cattle is gathered outside the house. The inscription on the back notes "Built in 1868 -- second building on east side of street including this one burned in 1875. This is where [illegible] August Obercamp Drug store now is."