View of aftermath of April 1915 flood, Waller Creek at 705 E. 6th Street, Austin. People are gathered on the stone bridge and look down onto the creek. Damaged buildings are on either side of the creek.
Photograph of a group of men marching in an Armistice Day parade in 1919. The identities of some of the men are given by Mr. George C. Hawley: Dr. T.U. Taylor is holding the flag, Dr. E.P. Schoch is the tall professor in the first row (next to Dr. Bantel), Dr. E.C. Bantel is the first person in the line of march.
Photograph of the 1914 Austin High School senior picnic, showing a group of young men and women standing on stone steps leading down to Barton Springs pool. There is a curved stone wall behind the steps, with a large stone relief star, similar to the Texas seal. The women are dressed in long skirts, and some are wearing hats. The men are wearing light shirts, ties and dark trousers, and some are also wearing hats.
Photograph of Austin's first ambulance taken at 33rd and Speedway streets. The ambulance is horse-drawn and on the side, in addition to a cross, is a small plaque that reads "V.O. Weed." On the back of the photograph there is a note that reads "Mr. Bob Weed says that the body of this horse-drawn ambulance was removed and motorized with the coming of the auto-mobile, therefore it became Austin's first real ambulance."
Photograph of a horse-drawn ambulance taken at 33rd and Speedway streets. On the side of the ambulance, in addition to a cross, is a small plaque that reads "V.O. Weed." The body of this horse-drawn ambulance was removed and motorized with the coming of the automobile, therefore it became Austin's first real ambulance.
Photograph of a group of people stand on and below a stone bridge, built by Swiss engineer and former Confederate colonel Getulius Kellersberger (1820-1900), at Barton Creek. Kellersberger, along with Arnold Kellersberger (July 30 1883-June 19 1972) and Alma Shudde Kellersberger (March 6 1888-October 2 1976), are pictured but not identified.
Photograph of a tire donation point in front of the Texas State Capitol's south façade during World War I. The donation point is designed to look like a totem pole like those found in the Pacific Northwest. The cement base of the pole is painted with the words "Donate Old Tires."
Photograph of a classroom interior as seen from the back entrance door, showing wooden desks and seats with slatted backs in the foreground, along with a cast iron stove in the central aisle. To the back of the photograph lies the teacher's wooden desk, and a long blackboard that spans the length of the front classroom wall. There are two wall-mounted gas lamps above the blackboard, and several photographs are posted above and on the blackboard. The floor is constructed of wooden boards, and the walls are board and batten. There is a window to the right in the photograph, which has an opaque shade shaped like an awning. This is probably a view of the 1896 one-room school, which replaced the 1874 school that burned, and was used from 1896 to 1937. The 2 acres of land for the school were provided by William and Sophia Teague. Builders of the school were Henry Johnson, Oscar Carlson, and John Marshall. This photograph is copied from a manuscript by Mrs. H. R. Gentry, entitled: "Eanes School, Travis County".
Photograph of men, women, and children enjoy the outdoors outside of Elisabet Ney's sculpture studio. Bare tree branches and coats indicate the season is probably late fall or winter. This is the south elevation of the studio which is made of stone. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Photograph of several enlisted men in what appear to be World War I U.S. infantry uniforms, some wearing sweaters and others thick shirts, eating at the end of a row of field tents. They are eating from metal mess kits, and the meal appears to include biscuits. Several of the men are wearing enlisted visor hats. Three of the men are identified in handwriting on the photograph: Walter, Clyde and George.
Photograph of Pease Elementary school students standing in uniform rows, placing their hands on each others' shoulders. The schoolteacher stands and watches. The street and nearby houses are visible in the background.
Photograph of the Austin High School violin club with their instruments. Sitting (left to right): Chas Granger, Hugh McKeown, Sally Story, Gerald Bacon, Kathleen Molesworth (piano), Zeno Martin, Herman Bohn. Standing (left to right): Fletcher Kulman, Anna Bartholomew, Ahrendt Schuetze, Marion Kerns, and Billy Morris.
Photograph of the street car bridge over Waller Creek located at 1st and Red River. People are standing along the bridge and there is a home in the background. Note on photograph reads: "Street car bridge 1st & Red River Austin, Tex. 4-23-15."
Photograph of a group of University of Texas students and supporters gathered on the lawn behind the Old Main Building, as they prepare for a protest march to Governor James E. Ferguson's (Pa Ferguson) capitol office. Many of the group are seated on the lawn or on chairs, and some hold umbrellas to protect themselves from the sun. A caption on the back of the photograph reads "scene in the campus before the student parade, May 28, 1917, Old Main Bg. in the background." The group was protesting Governor Ferguson's call for fraternities and sororities to be banned from the UT campus, and his further call for the removal of University president Dr. Robert Ernest Vinson. The Governor was not successful in either case, and was indeed himself impeached and removed from office by the Texas legislature on September 25, 1917.
Photograph of a technical instructor at the UT School of Military Aeronautics stands between two engine components and uses a wooden pointer to explain pieces of the engine from a chalkboard diagram. In 1917, President Woodrow Wilson and the Council of National Defense established military schools for aviators at six college campuses around the country. The Schools of Military Aeronautics (SMAs) were to provide basic technical instruction for beginning pilots before they moved on to flight training. The SMA students were not considered regular university students. Those attending the SMA became soldiers in a new branch of the US Army called "Air Service," later becoming the United States Air Force. The UT SMA was initially housed in B. Hall, but moved housing once enrollment expanded from 50 to several hundred men. By the end of the war, the UT SMA had over 1,000 men enrolled--the largest in the country--and was known as the "West Point of the Air." It would be the prototype for the Air Force Academy.
Photograph of three young men dressed in military uniforms, sitting on the lawn in front of the Old Main building at the University of Texas at Austin. The men have their legs straight out in front of them, showing the soles of thier boots, upon which is written in chalk: "BERLIN OR BUST", a popular patriotic/propaganda phrase during World War I. The man in the middle of the group has his campaign hat on his lap. The men are identified on the back of the photograph, from left to right as: Curry, Hart and Callender.
Copy print of Squad 36 standing in four lines on the steps in front of a building that has decorative columns and stonework. The men are all wearing their uniforms and holing their campaign hats in their right hands at their sides as they stand at attention.
Photograph of African American students at Wheatville School, 1912-1913. Writing on the back of the photograph reads as follows: "Wheatville School, 1912-1913. The teacher is Mrs. Maude Eason. The second boy on the right in the front row is Little Willie Daniels. Mr. Daniels resides in Austin at 2300 E. 10th St. He is an active member of the Mt. Olive Baptist Church. The school was located on the northwest corner of Leon & 25th Sts."
Photograph of six women wading in Bull Creek. They are holding up their skirts and pointing their toes at the camera. The names written on the back of the photo are (from left to right): Gertrude, Myrtie, Beulah, Ethel, Mamie McKenzie, and Zula Edens.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.