Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Boys' woodworking class at John T. Allan Junior High School]

Description: Photograph of a boys' woodworking class at the Old Red Campus building of the John T. Allan Junior High School, formerly Stephen F. Austin High School. The room is crowded with work stations, where the boys are engaged in making various projects such as wooden stools and picture frames. The rounded masonry wall has arched windows, covered by translucent roller shades for indirect light. There are frames mounted between the windows displaying various tools and examples of metal work. The exposed wood truss ceiling has several belts and pulleys mounted on it. Examples of finished wooden stools stand on a wooden file case to the left in the photograph. Pictured are: Rufus Watterson, Malcolm Williams, Willie Earnest, Durwell Johnson, Sid Colquitt, Vincent Murray, Windom Burke, Louis Blenderman, Ernest Von Rosenberg, Harry Hafer, Henry Murray, Homer Wedig, ____ Yates, Francis Patton, Henry Paggi, ____ Brady. The teacher is Mr. N. S. Hunsdon. The building was completed in 1900 from the plans of Burt McDonald and James Reily. It was used as Austin High School until 1925, when it became the John T. Allan Junior High School. Classes were held here until 1956, when the school was destroyed by fire. A State of Texas Subject Marker was placed on the site in 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission.
Date: 1925/1930

[Brackenridge Elementary School]

Description: Photograph of Brackenridge Elementary School, located at 319 West Elizabeth Street, a segregated school for Negro children. The building was a one story wooden structure with board and batten exterior walls, 6/6 wood windows, and a plain, square-columned porch entrance. The wooden doors are topped by transom windows. This school for colored children was first listed in the 1909-1910 Austin City Directory, and a school by that name was operating as late as 1965.
Date: 1920~