Photograph of the Hayne Society at Austin High School in the fall/winter of 1920. The club consists of 11 young, male students seated and standing in two rows in front of a wall of shrubbery. Leaves are on the ground.
Photograph of a boys' woodworking class at the Old Red Campus building of the John T. Allan Junior High School, formerly Stephen F. Austin High School. The room is crowded with work stations, where the boys are engaged in making various projects such as wooden stools and picture frames. The rounded masonry wall has arched windows, covered by translucent roller shades for indirect light. There are frames mounted between the windows displaying various tools and examples of metal work. The exposed wood truss ceiling has several belts and pulleys mounted on it. Examples of finished wooden stools stand on a wooden file case to the left in the photograph. Pictured are: Rufus Watterson, Malcolm Williams, Willie Earnest, Durwell Johnson, Sid Colquitt, Vincent Murray, Windom Burke, Louis Blenderman, Ernest Von Rosenberg, Harry Hafer, Henry Murray, Homer Wedig, ____ Yates, Francis Patton, Henry Paggi, ____ Brady. The teacher is Mr. N. S. Hunsdon. The building was completed in 1900 from the plans of Burt McDonald and James Reily. It was used as Austin High School until 1925, when it became the John T. Allan Junior High School. Classes were held here until 1956, when the school was destroyed by fire. A State of Texas Subject Marker was placed on the site in 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission.
Photograph of Brackenridge Elementary School, located at 319 West Elizabeth Street, a segregated school for Negro children. The building was a one story wooden structure with board and batten exterior walls, 6/6 wood windows, and a plain, square-columned porch entrance. The wooden doors are topped by transom windows. This school for colored children was first listed in the 1909-1910 Austin City Directory, and a school by that name was operating as late as 1965.
Photograph of a man wearing glasses is looking at a book whlie sitting at a table inside the Carver Branch Library. It is a wide view of the room and there are a couple of children checking out books in the background.
Photograph of Congress Avenue looking north. Cabaniss Hardware and Dewey Garage are visible at right, as well as cars and some advertisements painted on the buildings. The Capitol is visible in the distance. Streetcar rails are in the center of the road.
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion looking southeast from northwest side of the mansion on the grounds. Trees and a stone birdbath are visible in front of and partially obscure the mansion from view. A sprinkler is on and watering the lawn on the right side of the mansion. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1929 was Governor Dan Moody. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front and north elevations. It has a screen porch with steps. The front lawn is covered in snow. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The mansion here was occupied by first female Texas governor Miriam A. Ferguson in 1925. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970.
Photograph of First Lady Willie Hobby, seated on the steps of the Governor's Mansion, surrounded by a group of children. Included are Marie Hanna Bernheim; Roy Rather, Jr.; Margaret Soreano Beverly; Kathleen Crawford; Catherine Teten Nash; Mary Watt Avery; Mary Louise Hill Sparks; Virginia Horton Roberdeau; Helen Phinney Avery; George Sparks; and Frances Seybolt Rather.
Photograph of Guadalupe Street taken from the west approximately where the present-day "The Drag" is located. A street car is in motion along the street. Texas Bookstore, University Co-Op and Roach Brothers pharmacy are on the west side of Guadalupe Street.
Photograph of power plant machinery.Caption on back of photo reads: "Foreground L-R: 500KW air-injector, 2000KW air-injector - takes non-condensable vapors out of condensor; 5000KW generator is behind photographer. Background L-R: two excitors, small Allis-Chalmers turbine generator. Mid-Bkgrd: larger Allis-Chalmers generator ?; rt bkgrd: "W" denotes Westinghouse turbine generator - relatively new (In 1934, another Westinghouse turbine generator was placed on a platform in left bkgrd.)"
Photograph of children playing on and around the Treaty Oak branches on May Day ca. 1925. Three girls sit and stand on the oak's low branches. A fourth girl looks on with a young boy and their caretaker. Everyone is dressed in white. The lawn is littered with children's chairs and various outdoor equipment.
Photograph of group of 37 students at Baker Elementary School, the Music Memory Contest Winners 3 times in a row. Mercy Ramsey is 2nd from left in 1st row. Two boys in the front hold a large trophy, the boy on the right has been identified as William Erwin McIntosh.
Photograph of Old Red Campus building, at the John T. Allan Campus of Stephen F. Austin High School, showing an oblique view of the front and side of the classical four-story building. The exterior walls of the first floor are constructed of stone and the upper three floors are dark brick. The front is symetrically arranged in three parts, with the central part inset from the outer parts. Porches stretch across the central part of the first and second floors, and a gable is centered above on the roof. There are punched windows on the upper floors of the front facade, while windows are ganged on the side facade. A portion of the facade, near the back of the building, has a curved wall. There is a three-story brick addition to the side of the building, and there are chute style fire escapes on both the main building and the addition. A parking lot lies to the front of the building, with several circa 1920s cars. A boy wearing knickers stands in the parking lot. The building was completed in 1900 from the plans of Burt McDonald and James Reily, and featured a domed rotunda. It was used as Austin High School until 1925, when it became the John T. Allan Junior High School. Classes were held here until 1956, when the school was destroyed by fire. A State of Texas Subject Marker was placed on the site in 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission.
Photograph of Seaholm Power Plant. A dirt road and power lines are in the foreground and there are buildings in the background with two smoke stacks. One of the smoke stacks reads "Austin The Friendly City".
Photograph of the Seaholm Power Plant. Caption on print: "L-R: 'New' boiler room, turbine room, 'old' boiler room--which became the shop after equipment was removed and black stack torn down." A smokestack reads "Austin the Friendly City."
Photograph of ongoing construction of the Seaholm Power Plant boiler room building. Other established plant buildings and the water tower can be seen behind the boiler building on the right. Various debris including wood, metal pipes, and a work shed surround the new building. The Seaholm Power Plant, located at 800 West 1st Street (later renamed Cesar Chavez Street), began construction in the 1930s and was eventually demolished in the 1960s.
Photograph of the rear view of the Seaholm Power Plant. The river can be seen on the right with the capitol building in the background. The Seaholm Power Plant was constructed in the 1930s and was eventually demolished in the 1960s.
Photograph of six men in suits and hats posed in front of a private railroad car in the Austin Southern Pacific terminal at 301 Congress Avenue. A banner hung on the car says: "ENFIELD SPECIAL FROM AUSTIN, TEXAS TO WASHINGTON D.C. VIA S.P. LINES", and the same information was recorded on the bottom of the negative. The depot was constructed in 1902 as the Houston and Texas Central depot, and an addition was added to the east side in 1935.
Photograph of a train bearing Emilio Carranza's body as it stops in Austin on its way back to Mexico. From verso: "Emilio Carranza was a famous Mexican 'Ace' who was killed in an accident in New Jersey just after he had taken off for Mexico City where his bride of four months awaited him. His father Sebastian Carranza accompanied the body. At various stops along the way from New York to Mexico, recognition was given the flying ace. In Austin members of state and city governments met the train as well as members of the Chamber of Commerce: Max Bickler, J.A. Nichols, A.D. Bolm, Sam Sparks, Horace Barnhart, John D. Miller, James W. Bass, Lynn Hunter, A.D. Boone, Walter Murray, Martin Andersen, Walter Seaholm, R. Niles Graham, H.H. Luedecke, J. W. Ezelle, and Walter E. Long."
Photograph of at two small woodframe pyramidal roofed buildings, joined with a hyphen, which sit at the end of a vegetation-lined path next to the fairway at Austin Municipal Golf Course. One building is a board and batten structure with a 4/4 window. There is a large tree to the left of the buildings, and a 1920s-era car to the left of that. A man stands to the right of the buildings near the path or road.
Photograph of Old Main Building at UT featuring vine growth on building. A number of students and faculty walk on the sidewalks and lounge on the grass in front of and on the sides of the lawn. Architect F. E. Ruffini of Austin designed this building in the Victorian-Gothic style. The structure was built in three stages: the west wing was completed in 1883 for The University’s first class of 221 students; the central section in 1891; and finally the east wing in 1899. Old Main featured wide corridors, high rotundas, a 2,000 seat grand auditorium, a library, a chapel, 9 spacious lecture halls, 30 classrooms, and even a dressing room for the ladies’ cloaks and bonnets. The Girl's Study Hall was furnished with wicker rocking chairs. In 1932, a mere 35 year after the building was completed, the University announced the raising of Old Main in favor of building a new administration-library building, much to the protests of faculty, students, and residents of Austin.
Photograph of the May 4, 1922 tornado in Austin, Texas, as seen from a rooftop on downtown Congress Avenue. Visible in the foreground are: the Queen Theater at 700 Congress Avenue, the Walter Tips Building at 708-710-712 Congress Avenue, and the F. W. Woolworth & Company at 800-802 Congress Avenue. The side of the Paramount Theater is also visible. There is a painted sign, on a building in the foreground, for Maxwell House Coffee. The tornado is clearly visible in the dark sky to the northwest of downtown. The original of this image is PICA 25989, which has not yet been scanned.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Months listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.