Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 1 - 24 of 37 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of the Hayne Society at Austin High School in the fall/winter of 1920. The club consists of 11 young, male students seated and standing in two rows in front of a wall of shrubbery. Leaves are on the ground.
Description: Photograph of a boys' woodworking class at the Old Red Campus building of the John T. Allan Junior High School, formerly Stephen F. Austin High School. The room is crowded with work stations, where the boys are engaged in making various projects such as wooden stools and picture frames. The rounded masonry wall has arched windows, covered by translucent roller shades for indirect light. There are frames mounted between the windows displaying various tools and examples of metal work. The exposed wood truss ceiling has several belts and pulleys mounted on it. Examples of finished wooden stools stand on a wooden file case to the left in the photograph. Pictured are: Rufus Watterson, Malcolm Williams, Willie Earnest, Durwell Johnson, Sid Colquitt, Vincent Murray, Windom Burke, Louis Blenderman, Ernest Von Rosenberg, Harry Hafer, Henry Murray, Homer Wedig, ____ Yates, Francis Patton, Henry Paggi, ____ Brady. The teacher is Mr. N. S. Hunsdon. The building was completed in 1900 from the plans of Burt McDonald and James Reily. It was used as Austin High School until 1925, when it became the John T. Allan Junior High School. Classes were held here until 1956, when the school was destroyed by fire. A State of Texas Subject Marker was placed on the site in 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission.
Description: Photograph of Brackenridge Elementary School, located at 319 West Elizabeth Street, a segregated school for Negro children. The building was a one story wooden structure with board and batten exterior walls, 6/6 wood windows, and a plain, square-columned porch entrance. The wooden doors are topped by transom windows. This school for colored children was first listed in the 1909-1910 Austin City Directory, and a school by that name was operating as late as 1965.
Description: Photograph of a man wearing glasses is looking at a book whlie sitting at a table inside the Carver Branch Library. It is a wide view of the room and there are a couple of children checking out books in the background.
Creator: University Studio
Description: Photograph of Congress Avenue looking north. Cabaniss Hardware and Dewey Garage are visible at right, as well as cars and some advertisements painted on the buildings. The Capitol is visible in the distance. Streetcar rails are in the center of the road.
Date: January 26, 1920
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion looking southeast from northwest side of the mansion on the grounds. Trees and a stone birdbath are visible in front of and partially obscure the mansion from view. A sprinkler is on and watering the lawn on the right side of the mansion. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1929 was Governor Dan Moody. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Creator: Boone Photo
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front and north elevations. It has a screen porch with steps. The front lawn is covered in snow. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and continuously occupied since 1856. The mansion here was occupied by first female Texas governor Miriam A. Ferguson in 1925. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a National historic landmark in 1970.
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.
Description: Photograph of First Lady Willie Hobby, seated on the steps of the Governor's Mansion, surrounded by a group of children. Included are Marie Hanna Bernheim; Roy Rather, Jr.; Margaret Soreano Beverly; Kathleen Crawford; Catherine Teten Nash; Mary Watt Avery; Mary Louise Hill Sparks; Virginia Horton Roberdeau; Helen Phinney Avery; George Sparks; and Frances Seybolt Rather.
Creator: Gazley Company
Description: Photograph of Guadalupe Street taken from the west approximately where the present-day "The Drag" is located. A street car is in motion along the street. Texas Bookstore, University Co-Op and Roach Brothers pharmacy are on the west side of Guadalupe Street.
Date: April 17, 1927
Description: Photograph of children playing on and around the Treaty Oak branches on May Day ca. 1925. Three girls sit and stand on the oak's low branches. A fourth girl looks on with a young boy and their caretaker. Everyone is dressed in white. The lawn is littered with children's chairs and various outdoor equipment.
Description: Photograph of group of 37 students at Baker Elementary School, the Music Memory Contest Winners 3 times in a row. Mercy Ramsey is 2nd from left in 1st row. Two boys in the front hold a large trophy, the boy on the right has been identified as William Erwin McIntosh.
Description: Photograph of Old Red Campus building, at the John T. Allan Campus of Stephen F. Austin High School, showing an oblique view of the front and side of the classical four-story building. The exterior walls of the first floor are constructed of stone and the upper three floors are dark brick. The front is symetrically arranged in three parts, with the central part inset from the outer parts. Porches stretch across the central part of the first and second floors, and a gable is centered above on the roof. There are punched windows on the upper floors of the front facade, while windows are ganged on the side facade. A portion of the facade, near the back of the building, has a curved wall. There is a three-story brick addition to the side of the building, and there are chute style fire escapes on both the main building and the addition. A parking lot lies to the front of the building, with several circa 1920s cars. A boy wearing knickers stands in the parking lot. The building was completed in 1900 from the plans of Burt McDonald and James Reily, and featured a domed rotunda. It was used as Austin High School until 1925, when it became the John T. Allan Junior High School. Classes were held here until 1956, when the school was destroyed by fire. A State of Texas Subject Marker was placed on the site in 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission.
Creator: Jordan-Ellison Photo Company
Description: Photograph of the Seaholm Power Plant. Caption on print: "L-R: 'New' boiler room, turbine room, 'old' boiler room--which became the shop after equipment was removed and black stack torn down." A smokestack reads "Austin the Friendly City."
Description: Photograph of ongoing construction of the Seaholm Power Plant boiler room building. Other established plant buildings and the water tower can be seen behind the boiler building on the right. Various debris including wood, metal pipes, and a work shed surround the new building. The Seaholm Power Plant, located at 800 West 1st Street (later renamed Cesar Chavez Street), began construction in the 1930s and was eventually demolished in the 1960s.
Description: Photograph of the rear view of the Seaholm Power Plant. The river can be seen on the right with the capitol building in the background. The Seaholm Power Plant was constructed in the 1930s and was eventually demolished in the 1960s.
Creator: Boone Photo