Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[2nd Infantry Division on Parade]

Description: Photograph of two M8 Greyhound armored scout cars from the 2nd Infantry Division on parade through downtown Austin. The 2nd Infantry Division was stationed in Texas to train up for their deployment to the South Pacific, which never happened.
Date: March 29, 1946
Creator: Allison Photograph Service
Item Type: Photograph

[Aluminum for Defense]

Description: Photograph of Aluminum for Defense collection point outside of the Texas Capitol building. A large chicken-wire bin holds aluminum cans. The Capitol dome is visible in the background.
Date: July 28, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory City of Austin, Texas
Item Type: Photograph

[Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital]

Description: Photograph of Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital with a row of five young girls, including Sharon Ward (second from the front) and Elizabeth Ann Curry (third from the front), wearing drummer costumes and sitting on wooden chairs. They are holding drums decorated with cartoon characters on their laps. Champ Howell, a young boy wearing a similar costume, sits at the end of the row.
Date: 1946
Item Type: Photograph

[Arch construction of the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]

Description: Photograph of the construction of an arch at the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park. A man in a fedora sits astride a semi-circular laminated wooden truss, working on joining it at the center. This truss, and two completed trusses in the background are framed against the sky. The trusses are supported by posts, and temporarily joined together with wooden cross braces. The top of a wooden scaffold is visible in the lower right corner of the image.
Date: December 10, 1943
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[Ariel view of Camp Swift including Headquarters, Post Finance Office, U. S. Post Office and north cantonment area]

Description: Photograph of an aerial view of Camp Swift Headquarters, Finance Building, U. S. Post Office and a portion of the north cantonment area. The long wooden buildings are arranged parallel to each other, with the two-story Headquarters building in the center and the one-story Finance and Post Office buildings to each side. A flag pole with flag is visible in the foreground, and the cantonment area buildings are in the background.
Date: 1942/1945
Item Type: Photograph

[Army enlisted men and women in civilian dress pose with leis at the Austin USO Club]

Description: Photograph of a group of soldiers standing on a stage with women at the U.S.O. Club. All are wearing leis, and some of the soldiers wear white t-shirts with their uniform pants. Most of the women are wearing colorful cotton dresses or skirts. One couple is holding a U.S.O. flag. Two soldiers and one woman are standing on a ladder leading up to the stage. The people look like they are participants in a Hawaiian-themed party or show.
Date: 1942/1945
Item Type: Photograph

Austin Annual Kite Tournament, 1942

Description: Photograph of a group portrait of participants at the annual kite tournament featuring home made kites of various sizes flown by boys and a few girls. Most kites are decorated with a patriotic theme, in support of the American troops in World War II.
Date: March 15, 1942
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Austin
Item Type: Photograph

Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park

Description: Photograph of rear exterior of the Austin Athletic Club at Shoal Creek by House Park. Visible are: a tennis court; benches for watching matches; two workers changing out screens on the second floor windows. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: October 30, 1942
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[Austin Baseball Club Bus]

Description: View of the side of a bus with "Austin Baseball Club, The Pioneers" painted on the side. No one is in the bus and storage compartments are open.
Date: [1940..]
Item Type: Photograph

Austin, "The Friendly City"

Description: Photograph of the Texas State Capitol. The photograph appeared on the front of a card given out by the Austin Chamber of Commerce. The back of the card reads as follows, "This Card Certifies that Geo. A. Newgent representing A. J. Maloney Co is a member in good standing of the Austin Chamber of Commerce". The card is signed by the president and the manager of the Austin Chamber of Commerce and states that it will expire Dec. 31, 1949.
Date: 1949
Creator: Austin Chamber of Commerce
Item Type: Photograph

[Austin, TX]

Description: Photograph of the city of Austin looking northeast from the Calcasieu Lumber Company. The Walter Tips Co. Hardware store can be seen on the north side of the street.
Date: August 16, 1949
Creator: Studtman Photo Service
Item Type: Photograph

[Austin Women's Volunteer Service]

Description: Portriat of Mrs. L. B. Griffith, Chairman Austin Womens Volunteer Service; Miss Dolly Maude Harris; Mrs. Betty Anne Coffman, delivering Austin Telephone Directory.
Date: November 1942
Creator: Rosenthal, Alfred
Item Type: Photograph

[Beverly S. Sheffield at desk]

Description: Photograph of Beverly Sheffield sitting at his desk. He holds a fountain pen above some papers. Sheffield wears a short-sleeved, button-up shirt and has glasses. A phone sits at his left elbow. His desk sits near a wall with two windows and a radiator. His name plate reads "B. S. Sheffield."
Date: July 29, 1948
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab, Ausin
Item Type: Photograph

[Boys making model airplanes at the Pan American Recreation Center in Austin]

Description: Photograph of a group of six Latino youth making balsa-wood airplanes from a Comet brand "Air-Age Educational Kit" at the Pan American Recreation Center (Pan American Community Center), 300 Comal Street, in Austin. The boys are working at two picnic tables placed end-to-end. Several other people, including a girl, two boys, a man and a woman, stand behind the table either observing or assisting. There is a Mexican tourism poster featuring a woman, with her hair in braids, holding a basket of fruit on the wall behind one of the tables.
Date: November 19, 1946
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory, City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[Bryker Woods Elementary School Classroom]

Description: Photograph of a room, possibly a library or study room, at Bryker Woods Elementary School, located at 3309 Kerbey Lane. Several large tables are in the foreground, bookshelves are along the back wall, and a chalkboard is on the wall on the right side.
Date: [1940..]
Creator: Boone Photo Company
Item Type: Photograph

[Children around USN sand sculpture at Sandcraft]

Description: Photograph of a group of children around a sandbox with a sand sculpture of an anchor and the initials U.S.N. (United States Navy) imprinted over it at Sandcraft Park.
Date: June 23, 1943
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photography Laboratory
Item Type: Photograph

[Construction of the Rosewood Recreation Center, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]

Description: Photograph of construction of the Negro Recreation Building in Rosewood Park. Three men stand on the back of a 1930s flat bed truck, as they use a crane mounted on the truck to lift half of a laminated wooden semi-circular arched truss into place. Two of the trusses are already completed in the background. The scaffolding used to support workers joining the trusses at their centers stands to the back of the truck. The trusses are joined by cross members, and the half truss erected to the left in the photograph is supported by a post, awaiting the other half of the truss. Two wooden saw horses and several stacks of bags of cement(?) are on the ground under and near the trusses. This photograph appeared in the 1944 Annual Report of the Austin Recreation Department, on page 48, labeled "New Gymnasium - Auditorium at Rosewood".
Date: December 10, 1943
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[Dress fitting at Pan American Recreation Center]

Description: Photograph of a woman standing with her right arm lifted while a seamstress works on the waistline of her dress. More women are working on sewing machines or sewing by hand. Several women measure and cut fabric in the back. This sewing room was in the old Pan American Recreation Center at 3rd Street and Comal Street. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: November 19, 1946
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[East 1st Street]

Description: Photograph of East First Street looking west from San Marcos Street after track removal. Lockhart Ice Cream store sign visible on left.
Date: January 4, 1941
Item Type: Photograph

East First Street

Description: Photograph of East First Street looking west from San Marcos Street, after track removal. Cagles Place, Lockhart Ice Cream and Heep Dairy Products are on the south side of the street.
Date: January 4, 1941
Item Type: Photograph

[Elisabet Ney Museum]

Description: Photograph of the exterior of the Elisabet Ney Museum.
Date: May 1, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Laboratory
Item Type: Photograph