Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 64 Matching Results

Search Results

[E. 4th Street, Austin, TX]
Photograph of the 800 blocks of E. 4th Street looking east. Austin Pipe & Supply Co. is on the south side of the street.
[Aerial view of courts and seats at Caswell Tennis Center]
Photograph of an aerial view of all six tennis courts, spectator stands, and parking at the Caswell Tennis Center on Shoal Creek at 24th and N. Lamar. Two men's doubles matches are visible in the back two courts. Spectators crowd in the shade under the awning. Residential neighborhoods are visible behind the tennis courts in the background.
[Aerial View of Power Plant from Across the Lake]
Photograph of an aerial view of Seaholm Power Plant, taken from across the lake. Roads and other buildings surrounding the plant are visible.
[Aerial View of Seaholm Power Plant]
Photograph of aerial view of Seaholm Power Plant, surrounded by various other buildings.
[Aerial view of the construction of Palmer Municipal Auditorium]
Photograph of the construction of the old Palmer Municipal Auditorium as seen from the air looking south toward Barton Springs Road at the top of the view, with Riverside Drive at the bottom. Portions of the Auditorium's concrete frame are completed, and the metal framework for the flyloft is under construction. Several commercial buildings are visible on Barton Springs Road. The site is littered with construction debris, and various construction support buildings are visible.
Brentwood Pool
Photograph of Brentwood pool. People are swimming while others relax around the pool.
Camp Mabry
Photograph of a building at Camp Mabry with cars and trucks parked outside.
[Dining room interior of the Villa Capri Motor Hotel]
Photograph of Villa Capri Motel restaurant dining room, located at 2300 North Interregional Highway (East Avenue, now I-35), with a burnished steel sunken charcoal broiling pit, for cooking steaks, in the center. There are overhead chandeliers made of bundles of radiating brass rods that simulate sunbursts, or perhaps exploding atoms. On the far wall is a modern wall design made with colored panels. The vaulted ceiling has exposed beams. Four-top dining tables with white table cloths are set with plates and utensils. The metal welding work at the Villa Capri Motor Hotel Restaurant was done by Milton Messer, who operated the Modern Supply Company machinists and welders from 1942 to 1982.
[Disch Field]
Photograph of the outfield of Disch Field with a few baseball players on it. "Disch" is mowed into the lawn. The scoreboard is for Austin vs. Sherman. A body works shop is in the background.
Domestic Science Senior Cooking Class, Austin High School, 1908
Photograph of the 1908 domestic science senior cooking class at Austin High School. Bottom row (left to right): Annie Lou Puckett, Lily Ecklund, Lora Turner, Fannie Walker, Rosa Maas. Middle row (left to right): Katie Clark, Nettie B. Sullivan, Adele Barbisch, Clara Stovall, Alice Ramsdell, Lomie Layton. Top row (left to row): Miss Bell (teacher from Denton), Inez Slaughter, Nona Lewis, Janie Tannehill, Bessie Enlow, Mabel Maud, May Belle Robbins, Bessie Pate, Emma Seeker and Salome Anthony. Photo gift of Mrs. Mabel Maud Huckaby.
[Excavation for 1955 Addition to Power Plant]
Photograph of 1955 excavation for the addition to Seaholm Power Plant. Workers are constructing the foundation of the building.
[Frank Albrecht cleaning out Austin Athletic Club]
Photograph of Frank Albrecht looking through a trash can of sporting equipment at the Austin Athletic Club. Large light fixtures, boxes, equipment bags, and other debrs is piled around him. A vending machine is visible on the left behind the open glass sliding doors. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
[Frank Albrecht in an equipment closet at the Austin Recreation Center]
Photograph of Franch Albrecht putting a volleyball onto a top shelf in an activities closet at the Austin Athletic Club (renamed Austin Recreation Center in 1970). Various other items for activities are on the shelves such as checkers and ping-pong balls, as well as other supplies such as water sprinklers, paint, and electrical supplies. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
[Front exterior of Governor's Mansion with trees]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation and south elevation showing the grounds and walkway, the stairs of which are bisected by a sidewalk. The upper porch is screened and partially obscured by a tree on the front lawn. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1955 was Governor Alan Shivers. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
[Girls and boys playing at Rosewood Park]
Photograph of children playing at a Rosewood Park baseball field. The boys form one circle by holding hands with each around the pitching mound and a second circle by holding hands around home plate (on the left) other while the girls form a third circle by holding hands with each other around the path from home plate to first base. Parents of both sexes observe and instruct. A bicycle is visible on the lower left. The view of the field is from the first base bleachers, looking toward left field. A car and a few homes are visible beyond left field.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion. "Completed in 1856" is typed on front of photograph.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of cars parked on 11th Street just outside of the Texas Governor's mansion.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from the street.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from the front lawn.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the front entrance of the Texas Governor's mansion.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Govenor's mansion taken from the street corner.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the exterior of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from the side lawn. "Originally part of a student report written in 1950" is written on the back of the photograph.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion. "Originally part of a student report written in 1950" is written on the back of the photograph.
Governor's Mansion Sam Houston Room
Photograph of the interior of the Governor's Mansion showing the Sam Houston Room, with the fireplace, portrait of Houston, an armchair, and a war drum serving as a side table. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant during this time in 1958 was Democratic Governor Price Daniel. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
[Houses on North Loop Boulevard]
Photograph of North Loop Boulevard. Several houses are visible along the street. An undeveloped property is in the foreground.
[A. J. Campbell search near Goliad, September 1958, with Victoria County Sheriff M. W. "Monte" Marshall, Goliad County Sheriff A. Claude Taylor, and Travis County Sheriff T. O. Lang]
Photograph of five men, four white and one black, next to a car with an open door. One man, the Goliad Sherriff, is sitting in the car, wearing a cowboy hat and with his cowboy-boot clad feet out on the ground. He holds a flashlight trained on several papers, also in his hands, and the other men lean intently in to see the papers. The two men standing on either side of him are the Victoria Sherriff on the left and Travis County Sherriff T.O. Lang on the right. They also wear cowboy hats, and Lang wears a badge above his left chest pocket. The man at the far right, who is standing behind the open car door, wears a Texas State Trooper uniform. The young black man, also on the right of the photo and leaning on the car door, wears dark trousers, a light checked shirt, and a cap. The party is searching for A. J. Campbell, Sr., who kidnapped his two young children from his estranged wife in Goliad, Texas. He committed suicide, leaving a note which said that he had "buried both children." The car, with the suicide note, was found in Travis County, and it is possible that this group is looking at the note. The bodies of Myrisha Campbell and A. J. Campbell, Jr., have never been found, and their cases remain open.
[John Nance Garner Birthday Gathering]
Photograph of Sam Rayburn, Harry S. Truman, John Nance Garner, and Lyndon B. Johnson gathered around a press table. On the table is a microphone and a gingerbread house made for Garner's birthday.
[Justice of the Peace]
Photograph of interior of courtroom during proceedings. A man is seen standing and speaking to the judge while others are seated and listening.
[Laguna Gloria]
Photograph of the exterior of the historic Laguna Gloria building. It is partially obscured by palmettos and other foliage. The building is now part of the Contemporary Austin art museum.
Lake Austin Beach
Photograph of people wading and floating in the water at Lake Austin Beach.
[Lester Palmer Auditorium exterior during construction]
Photograph of the exterior of the Lester E. Palmer Municipal Auditorium under construction. One curved beam is attached to the interior center scaffold.
[Lester Palmer Municipal Auditorium exterior]
Photograph of the exterior of the Austin Municipal Auditorium during construction. The auditorium was designed by the Austin firm Jessen, Jessen, Millhouse, & Greeven. The dome's color scheme was created by modern artist Seymour Fogel, who was an instructor at the University of Texas Department of Art and Art History at the time.
[Locomotive leaving International and Great Northern station]
Photograph of locomotive leaving International and Great Northern railroad station heading west towards the camera. From verso: "W. 3rd and approximately Guadalupe looking east. Building with tower is old. International & Great Northern station at 3rd & Congress recently (1950) demolished."
[Men at Seaholm Power Plant]
Photograph of two men wearing white shirts, ties and slacks in a machine room at Seaholm Power Plant. The man on the left is Mr. Seaholm. He has his hands on a crank on a machine labeled "Westinghouse."
[Men at Seaholm Power Plant]
Photograph of six men standing in front of machinery on a rail car near Seaholm Power Plant.
[Men erecting telephone or power pole in Crestview neighborhood]
Photograph of several men erecting a telephone or power pole in the Crestview neighborhood of Austin. The men are wearing hats and one appears to be wearing a short-sleeved Hawaiian shirt. A small crane is visible on the right side of the image. In the background to the left, there is a sign which reads: "CRESTVIEW LARGE LOTS, $595, TERMS, A. B. Beddow, REALTOR, 7106 WOODROW AVE. - PHO._-7631". Several structures are visible in the background, which appear to be part of the old Richcreek Dairy Farm where the Crestview neighborhood was constructed. A. B. Beddow and the Austin Development Corporation were the developers of the neighborhood which was built up between the late 1940s to the mid 1960s. The neighborhood is bordered by Wooten neighborhood and Anderson Lane to the North, Allandale neighborhood and Burnet Road to the West, Brentwood neighborhood and Justin Lane to the South, and the Highland neighborhood and North Lamar Boulevard to the East.
[Men standing outside Seaholm Power Plant]
Photograph of Men standing around a delivery for a number of transformer parts at Seaholm Power Plant near the shore of Town Lake.
[Moving large parts into Seaholm Power Plant]
Photograph of men moving a large piece of machinery into Seaholm Power Plant near Town Lake. A large crane hook is supporting the machinery part with four massive cables. The cylindrical component is sitting on a track which is moving through a trench into the plant. Three workers check the cables from on top of the cylinder, and several other men monitor the progress from the ground. The Seaholm Power Plant was designed by Burns & McDonell Engineering Co. and built in two phases by Odom Construction company in 1950 and 1955 at 800 West Cesar Chavez St in Austin, Texas. The plant was dedicated posthumously to Walter E. Seaholm in recognition of his 33-year service to the city of Austin as Superintendent of Water and Light and City Manager. The plant operated as a power source until 1989. The city of Austin authorized the decommissioning of the plant in 1996. In 2000 the city commissioned a District Master Plan for the site, and in 2008 it approved a plan by Seaholm Power Development, LLC to repurpose the buildings into retail, residential, and outdoor spaces.
[Municipal Auditorium and Seaholm Electric Plant aerial view]
Photograph of an aerial view of Seaholm Electric Plant on the far side of the river and the Municipal Auditorium on the near side of the river. A railroad bridge and Lamar Boulevard bridge are visible.
[Municipal Auditorium exterior during construction]
Photograph of Municipal Auditorium, exterior view during construction. The skeleton of the dome is visible above cars parked around the site.
[Musical Comedy Seventeen performed at the Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of musical comedy "Seventeen" performed on stage at the Zilker Hillside Theater in Austin. A cast of young men and women sit on the steps of a set that looks like a two-story house.
[Musical comedy Seventeen performed on stage at the Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of musical comedy "Seventeen" performed on stage at the Zilker Hillside Theater. The cast of young men and women line up in pairs beneath the open air.
Opening of Pan American Recreation Center
Photograph of the side of the newly built Pan American Recreation Center at 2100 East 3rd Street. Swing sets are behind the building. The previous Pan Am Rec Center existed at 3rd and Comal Streets. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Opening of the Pan American Recreation Center
Photograph of the interior of the basketball court in the gymnasium at the opening of Pan American Recreation Center at 2100 East 3rd Street. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
[Palmer Municipal Auditorium, interior view during construction]
Photograph of lobby interior, ramps and exterior glass curtain wall of the Palmer Municipal Auditorium just prior to completion in 1958. Also visible are the decorative terrazzo floor, aluminum pendant light fixtures, and drinking fountains on the far wall. The Auditorium was designed by Page, Southerland and Page, with Jessen, Jessen, Millhouse & Greeven consulting architects.
Pan American Recreation Center Boxing Room
Photograph of one side of the Pan-Am Rec Center Boxing Room. Boxers and trainers exercise by stretching, shadowboxing, and beating punching bags. The sparring ring is visible in the foregrond. Jackets hang on hooks on the left. Clock on the back wall reads about 6:50. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
[Pan American Recreation Center, exterior, at opening]
Photograph of the exterior rear of the Pan American Recreation Center at the opening on 2100 East 3rd Street. The ground is not yet seeded and playground equipment is visible behind a fence in the right. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
[Pan American Recreation Center Halloween]
Photograph of three women and five children pose for a photo. One boy wears a Halloween mask he likely made himself. Another mischevious boy lands a kick to another boy's hip. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Pan American Recreation Center Wood Shop
Photograph of an instructor showing a boy how to use a saw on a piece of wood at the Pan Am wood shop. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Pan American Recreation Center's Skating Class
Photograph of the Pan American Recreation Center's skating class in the Zavala Gym. A line of seven boys, aged 9 through 12 hold on to each other's shirts while skating in a line through the gym. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.