Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 1 - 24 of 49 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of an aerial view of all six tennis courts, spectator stands, and parking at the Caswell Tennis Center on Shoal Creek at 24th and N. Lamar. Two men's doubles matches are visible in the back two courts. Spectators crowd in the shade under the awning. Residential neighborhoods are visible behind the tennis courts in the background.
Date: June 20, 1950
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin
Description: Photograph of the construction of the old Palmer Municipal Auditorium as seen from the air looking south toward Barton Springs Road at the top of the view, with Riverside Drive at the bottom. Portions of the Auditorium's concrete frame are completed, and the metal framework for the flyloft is under construction. Several commercial buildings are visible on Barton Springs Road. The site is littered with construction debris, and various construction support buildings are visible.
Description: Photograph of Villa Capri Motel restaurant dining room, located at 2300 North Interregional Highway (East Avenue, now I-35), with a burnished steel sunken charcoal broiling pit, for cooking steaks, in the center. There are overhead chandeliers made of bundles of radiating brass rods that simulate sunbursts, or perhaps exploding atoms. On the far wall is a modern wall design made with colored panels. The vaulted ceiling has exposed beams. Four-top dining tables with white table cloths are set with plates and utensils. The metal welding work at the Villa Capri Motor Hotel Restaurant was done by Milton Messer, who operated the Modern Supply Company machinists and welders from 1942 to 1982.
Creator: Mears, Dewey G.
Description: Photograph of the 1908 domestic science senior cooking class at Austin High School. Bottom row (left to right): Annie Lou Puckett, Lily Ecklund, Lora Turner, Fannie Walker, Rosa Maas. Middle row (left to right): Katie Clark, Nettie B. Sullivan, Adele Barbisch, Clara Stovall, Alice Ramsdell, Lomie Layton. Top row (left to row): Miss Bell (teacher from Denton), Inez Slaughter, Nona Lewis, Janie Tannehill, Bessie Enlow, Mabel Maud, May Belle Robbins, Bessie Pate, Emma Seeker and Salome Anthony. Photo gift of Mrs. Mabel Maud Huckaby.
Date: January 7, 1956
Description: Photograph of Frank Albrecht looking through a trash can of sporting equipment at the Austin Athletic Club. Large light fixtures, boxes, equipment bags, and other debrs is piled around him. A vending machine is visible on the left behind the open glass sliding doors. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Description: Photograph of Franch Albrecht putting a volleyball onto a top shelf in an activities closet at the Austin Athletic Club (renamed Austin Recreation Center in 1970). Various other items for activities are on the shelves such as checkers and ping-pong balls, as well as other supplies such as water sprinklers, paint, and electrical supplies. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation and south elevation showing the grounds and walkway, the stairs of which are bisected by a sidewalk. The upper porch is screened and partially obscured by a tree on the front lawn. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1955 was Governor Alan Shivers. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Creator: Boone Photo
Description: Photograph of children playing at a Rosewood Park baseball field. The boys form one circle by holding hands with each around the pitching mound and a second circle by holding hands around home plate (on the left) other while the girls form a third circle by holding hands with each other around the path from home plate to first base. Parents of both sexes observe and instruct. A bicycle is visible on the lower left. The view of the field is from the first base bleachers, looking toward left field. A car and a few homes are visible beyond left field.
Date: [1959, 1969]
Description: Photograph of the interior of the Governor's Mansion showing the Sam Houston Room, with the fireplace, portrait of Houston, an armchair, and a war drum serving as a side table. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant during this time in 1958 was Democratic Governor Price Daniel. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
[A. J. Campbell search near Goliad, September 1958, with Victoria County Sheriff M. W. "Monte" Marshall, Goliad County Sheriff A. Claude Taylor, and Travis County Sheriff T. O. Lang]
Description: Photograph of five men, four white and one black, next to a car with an open door. One man, the Goliad Sherriff, is sitting in the car, wearing a cowboy hat and with his cowboy-boot clad feet out on the ground. He holds a flashlight trained on several papers, also in his hands, and the other men lean intently in to see the papers. The two men standing on either side of him are the Victoria Sherriff on the left and Travis County Sherriff T.O. Lang on the right. They also wear cowboy hats, and Lang wears a badge above his left chest pocket. The man at the far right, who is standing behind the open car door, wears a Texas State Trooper uniform. The young black man, also on the right of the photo and leaning on the car door, wears dark trousers, a light checked shirt, and a cap. The party is searching for A. J. Campbell, Sr., who kidnapped his two young children from his estranged wife in Goliad, Texas. He committed suicide, leaving a note which said that he had "buried both children." The car, with the suicide note, was found in Travis County, and it is possible that this group is looking at the note. The bodies of Myrisha Campbell and A. J. Campbell, Jr., have never been found, and their cases remain open.
Date: September 1958
Description: Photograph of the exterior of the Lester E. Palmer Municipal Auditorium under construction. One curved beam is attached to the interior center scaffold.
Date: November 20, 1957
Description: Photograph of the exterior of the Austin Municipal Auditorium during construction. The auditorium was designed by the Austin firm Jessen, Jessen, Millhouse, & Greeven. The dome's color scheme was created by modern artist Seymour Fogel, who was an instructor at the University of Texas Department of Art and Art History at the time.
Creator: Rockdale Works Photo
Description: Photograph of locomotive leaving International and Great Northern railroad station heading west towards the camera. From verso: "W. 3rd and approximately Guadalupe looking east. Building with tower is old. International & Great Northern station at 3rd & Congress recently (1950) demolished."