Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 1 - 24 of 56 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of a line of military personnel standing in a line. They are the RAM maintenance team for the 67th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing. Several vans are visible to the right.
Description: Photograph of a washtub band consisting of at least nine young adults performing in a barn at Pioneer Farms. They wear homemade t-shirts that read "I'm a Singing Spark." Instruments consist of: three guitars, guitarron, banjo, washtub bass, and at least one tambourine. In 1852, Frederick and Harriet B. Jourdan settled on the site near Walnut Creek with their children. In 1956, grandchildren Laura and Eugene Giles, donated the core of their grandparents' property to the Heritage Society of Austin, in order to preserve the pioneer experience. The site and its museum operated under the auspices of the Austin Natural Science Association and later by the Parks and Recreation Department of the city of Austin until it was transferred back to the Heritage Society of Austin in 2003. Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms operates multiple sites today. Pioneer Farms is a member of the American Association of Museums, the Association of Living History Farms and Museums, the American Association for State and Local History, the Texas Association of Museums and the Austin Museum Partnership.Pioneer Farms is a registered Austin Historic Landmark and a designated Heritage Tourism Destination Site. Our Pioneer School is community-education partner with the Austin Community College.
Creator: John Bone Photographic Services
Description: Photograph of General Robert C. Mathis giving a speech at lunch on Bergstrom Air Force Base. Technical Sergeant Dennis Roberts and Senior Airman Charles Nead are seated at the general's table. The men at the other tables turn to listen to the general.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation, showing concrete entry steps and Texas RTHL medallion over the front door. Two signs on the front lawn on either side of the steps read "Mansion Closed." The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1982 was Governor Bill Clements. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Creator: Texas Highway Department