Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 94 Matching Results

This system will be undergoing maintenance January 24th 9:00-11:00AM CST.

Search Results

Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin for 1897-1898

Description: "Containing the present state, county and city governments, and a complete list of all postoffices and money order offices in Texas; also an index of societies, associations, churches, corporations, educational institutes; full name and address of all residents, their occupations or pursuits, and a complete classified business directory. Also a valuable street and avenue guide.
Date: 1897
Creator: Morrison & Fourmy

Morrison & Fourmy's General Directory of the City of Austin, 1893-94

Description: General directory for Austin, Texas includes address listings for businesses and individuals as well as advertisements from local businesses. According to the title page, the directory contains "the present state, county and city governments, and a complete list of all county officials, post offices and money order offices in Texas; also an index of societies, associations, churches, corporations, educational institutes, the full name and address of all residents, their occupations or pursuits, and a Complete Classified Business Directory, also A Valuable Steet and Avenue Guide." The Table of Contents starts on page 6; the Index to Advertisements is on page 8.
Date: 1893
Creator: Morrison & Fourmy

[Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of the Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin in 1897, crowded with people. In the foreground a man in a suit and hat, carrying an umbrella, and a woman wearing a long white dress and hat, stroll toward the Grand Stand. Other people, some wearing military uniforms, are milling about. The wooden structure had raked seating under a long hipped roof, and one large central second story tower with smaller second story towers at each end. The structure, which served as a reviewing stand for troops, was burned by arson in 1902, and the original specifications exist at the Alexandar Architectural Archives at the University of Texas at Austin.
Date: 1897

[St. Mary's Academy]

Description: Photograph of St. Mary's Academy, a private school for girls. It was established in 1874 by the Holy Cross Sisters who assumed operations of a local parish school from the Sisters of Divine Providence. At first, Mother Angela Guillespie and Sister M. Austin did all of the teaching and cooking, but expansion was necessary as enrollment increased in 1875. This building was built in 1885 in the face of increased enrollment. By 1947, the sisters moved the school to a bigger location, and this building was sold and demolished on July 30, 1954.
Date: 1894

[Temporary Texas Capitol Building Fire]

Description: Photograph of the fire that destroyed the building that had temporarily served as the capitol building for the state of Texas while the new capitol building was being constructed. Firefighters can be seen spraying water in to the upper floors while a large number of spectators look on.
Date: August 30, 1899

Austin Primary School

Description: Group portrait of children posed for a portrait outside of a wood framed building. They wear costumes as if dressed for a school play. Many wear tunics with a large, round flower petal collar and a flower on the chest and one boy to the left holds an oversized flower. The building is a basic square design with a large window at the center of each quarter. Note that 200 Nueces and 717 West Ave. are written on the back.
Date: 1895

Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896

Description: Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach.
Date: April 13, 1896

[Lobby of First National Bank, Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of the lobby of First National Bank, including the bank teller window behind a grill. William Sydney Porter (O. Henry) is the teller. Another man stands behind the front counter, one is seated in back, and a customer is at the teller window. The man behind the open counter is listed as Brackenridge.
Date: [1890,1900]