Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Governor's Mansion]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion. "Originally part of a student report written in 1950" is written on the back of the photograph.
Date: 1950
Item Type: Photograph

[Unkown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of a tackle at an unknown game at Clark Field. Players at this time did not wear helmets of protective padding. They wear no numbers or jerseys. The photographer's shadow is visible in the bottom of the image. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.
Item Type: Photograph

[Three students of the University of Texas School of Military Aeronautics on the lawn in front of the Old Main building, Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of three young men dressed in military uniforms, sitting on the lawn in front of the Old Main building at the University of Texas at Austin. The men have their legs straight out in front of them, showing the soles of thier boots, upon which is written in chalk: "BERLIN OR BUST", a popular patriotic/propaganda phrase during World War I. The man in the middle of the group has his campaign hat on his lap. The men are identified on the back of the photograph, from left to right as: Curry, Hart and Callender.
Date: 1917/1919
Item Type: Photograph

[Impact at uknown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of low angle shot of an impact at an uknown game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless. Even at this close range, it is difficult to determine which players belong to which team. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.
Item Type: Photograph

[Student gathering on University of Texas at Austin campus before Governor Ferguson protest parade]

Description: Photograph of a group of University of Texas students and supporters gathered on the lawn behind the Old Main Building, as they prepare for a protest march to Governor James E. Ferguson's (Pa Ferguson) capitol office. Many of the group are seated on the lawn or on chairs, and some hold umbrellas to protect themselves from the sun. A caption on the back of the photograph reads "scene in the campus before the student parade, May 28, 1917, Old Main Bg. in the background." The group was protesting Governor Ferguson's call for fraternities and sororities to be banned from the UT campus, and his further call for the removal of University president Dr. Robert Ernest Vinson. The Governor was not successful in either case, and was indeed himself impeached and removed from office by the Texas legislature on September 25, 1917.
Date: May 28, 1917
Item Type: Photograph

[Touchdown at unknown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of group of players crossing the goal line with spectators looking on. Teams are in different color striped shirts, but wear no team names or player numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: 19uu
Item Type: Photograph

[Tackle at unknown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of Tackle at an uknown game at Clark Field. Coaches, referees, and players look on from the field and sidelines. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.
Item Type: Photograph

[Four University of Texas at Austin football players in uniform with 1898 ball]

Description: Photograph of four University of Texas football players, three standing and one kneeling on one knee and holding an 1898 football. The photograph is mounted on a cabinet card. The UT student players are wearing uniforms consisting of dark turtleneck sweaters with a large "T" centered on the chest, quilted padded pants, shin guards and leather lace-up ankle boots. The reverse of the photograph notes that the photograph is from the James H. Hart Estate. Hart is standing at the far left in the photograph. James Hart was an end on the 1897 football team, a tackle on the 1898 team and captain on the 1899 team. He led UT to 23-5 mark during his four seasons, including 6-0 record in 1900. Hart also served as secretary of the athletic association, and editor in chief of the 1899 Cactus. He returned to UT football as coach in 1902, leading the Longhorns to a 6-3-1 record, and served 26 years as alumni representative to UT Athletics Council.
Date: 1898/1899-01-22
Creator: Journeay, William O.
Item Type: Photograph

[Unknown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of an unknown game at Clark Field shows players piling on each other right before a tackle while officials look on. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.
Item Type: Photograph

[Kickoff of unkown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of kickoff of an unknown football game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless, and a crowd watches while standing across the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.
Item Type: Photograph

[Worker at Seaholm Power Plant]

Description: Photograph of an old man wearing a hat, boots, khaki pants, and a long-sleeved shirts stands amongst machines inside Seaholm Power Plant. The machines are stamped "Allis-Chalmers."
Date: [1950, 1959]
Item Type: Photograph

[Moving large parts into Seaholm Power Plant]

Description: Photograph of men moving a large piece of machinery into Seaholm Power Plant near Town Lake. A large crane hook is supporting the machinery part with four massive cables. The cylindrical component is sitting on a track which is moving through a trench into the plant. Three workers check the cables from on top of the cylinder, and several other men monitor the progress from the ground. The Seaholm Power Plant was designed by Burns & McDonell Engineering Co. and built in two phases by Odom Construction company in 1950 and 1955 at 800 West Cesar Chavez St in Austin, Texas. The plant was dedicated posthumously to Walter E. Seaholm in recognition of his 33-year service to the city of Austin as Superintendent of Water and Light and City Manager. The plant operated as a power source until 1989. The city of Austin authorized the decommissioning of the plant in 1996. In 2000 the city commissioned a District Master Plan for the site, and in 2008 it approved a plan by Seaholm Power Development, LLC to repurpose the buildings into retail, residential, and outdoor spaces.
Date: January 6, 1951
Item Type: Photograph

[Men at Seaholm Power Plant]

Description: Photograph of two men wearing white shirts, ties and slacks in a machine room at Seaholm Power Plant. The man on the left is Mr. Seaholm. He has his hands on a crank on a machine labeled "Westinghouse."
Date: June 30, 1951
Item Type: Photograph

[Austin High School students read at long tables in the school library, Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of students reading at long wooden tables in the school library at Austin High School. They are seated in wooden chairs with vertical back slats. The view is taken through an ornamental wrought iron arch, featuring scrolls, a Texas star and the letters "AHS" at each top corner. The iron work may be attributable to the Weigl Iron Works, a local business known for architectural and decorative iron work.
Date: 1934
Item Type: Photograph

[L.C. Anderson High School closing boycott]

Description: Photograph of students boycotting the closing of L.C. Anderson High School. The school was ordered closed in 1971 by a federal judge as part of desegregation. African-American students and parents sit on sidewalks and cars to protest the closing. The school, located at 900 Thompson Street, was originally named E.H. Anderson, and later renamed L.C. Anderson after one of its longest-serving principals. In 1973, a new, integrated L.C. Anderson High School reopened at its current location at 8403 Mesa Drive.
Date: 1971
Item Type: Photograph

Austin High School Hayne Society, 1920

Description: Photograph of the Hayne Society at Austin High School in the fall/winter of 1920. The club consists of 11 young, male students seated and standing in two rows in front of a wall of shrubbery. Leaves are on the ground.
Date: 1920
Item Type: Photograph

[Exterior David Crockett High School]

Description: Photograph of exterior view of David Crockett High School at 5601 Manchaca Road at the corner of Stassney Lane. Crockett High opened in 1968 and is part of the Austin Independent School District.
Date: [1970, 1989]
Creator: Williamson, Nolen E.
Item Type: Photograph

[L.C. Anderson High School class of 1960]

Description: Photograph of Anderson High School graduating class of 1960. The school was originally named E. H. Anderson and later renamed L. C. Anderson. The school, located at 900 Thompson Street, was Austin's all-black high school for many years until students were integrated following desegregation.
Date: 1960
Item Type: Photograph

[Library interior of Austin High School with students reading at tables, Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of students reading at long wooden tables in the Austin High School library, located at 1202 Rio Grande. The students are seated in wooden chairs with vertical back slats. The circulation desk is visible at the back of the room, and there are two framed prints on the walls. There are four pendant schoolhouse lamps on the ceiling, and a ceiling fan over the circulation desk. The name Mameye Robison is written on the foreedge of a book stacked on a table near the front of the photograph.
Date: December 11, 1934
Item Type: Photograph

[Governor's Mansion fence]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion east elevation seen behind whitewashed brick and iron fence and gate naming the house as the "Governor's Mansion." Tree visible immediately behind the fence and the mansion is visible under a cloud-filled sky in the background. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1969 was Governor Preston Smith. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1969
Item Type: Photograph

[View of tornado as seen from Congress Avenue downtown Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of the May 4, 1922 tornado in Austin, Texas, as seen from a rooftop on downtown Congress Avenue. Visible in the foreground are: the Queen Theater at 700 Congress Avenue, the Walter Tips Building at 708-710-712 Congress Avenue, and the F. W. Woolworth & Company at 800-802 Congress Avenue. The side of the Paramount Theater is also visible. There is a painted sign, on a building in the foreground, for Maxwell House Coffee. The tornado is clearly visible in the dark sky to the northwest of downtown. The original of this image is PICA 25989, which has not yet been scanned.
Date: May 4, 1922
Item Type: Photograph