Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 4271 - 4294 of 6,001 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation, showing concrete entry steps and Texas RTHL medallion over the front door. Two signs on the front lawn on either side of the steps read "Mansion Closed." The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1982 was Governor Bill Clements. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Creator: Texas Highway Department
Description: Photograph of the Texas State Capitol. The photograph appeared on the front of a card given out by the Austin Chamber of Commerce. The back of the card reads as follows, "This Card Certifies that Geo. A. Newgent representing A. J. Maloney Co is a member in good standing of the Austin Chamber of Commerce". The card is signed by the president and the manager of the Austin Chamber of Commerce and states that it will expire Dec. 31, 1949.
Creator: Austin Chamber of Commerce
Description: Photograph of an illustration depicting The New Capitol of Texas. There is a description of what the new Capitol will look like and images influential people, places and events line both sides of the illustration. Pictured clockwise from top left to right is David Crockett, Gen. Sam Houston, Mirabeau B. Lamar, Stephen F. Austin, Old Capitol, Houston, Storming of the Alamo, and David G. Burnet.
Description: Photograph of the lake side view of the Seaholm Power Plant Intake facility. The Art Deco concrete facility was designed by Burns & McDonnell Engineering Company and was built in two phases in 1950 and 1955 by Odom Construction Company. The facility operated as a power plant until 1989 and was finally decommissioned in 1996 by the city of Austin. The intake facility is located on the shores of Lady Bird Lake and the Ann and Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail.
Date: December 1, 1950
Creator: City of Austin
Description: Photograph of children playing at a Rosewood Park baseball field. The boys form one circle by holding hands with each around the pitching mound and a second circle by holding hands around home plate (on the left) other while the girls form a third circle by holding hands with each other around the path from home plate to first base. Parents of both sexes observe and instruct. A bicycle is visible on the lower left. The view of the field is from the first base bleachers, looking toward left field. A car and a few homes are visible beyond left field.
Date: [1959, 1969]
Description: Photograph of men and boys posing outside of the Sprinkle Post Office in 1893. There are people standing on the porch of the Post Office, sitting in carriages, and on horseback. There are two yoked steer in the center of the photograph. The photograph is from the essay, "History of Sprinkle, Texas" by Lulu Pearl.
Description: Photograph of the Austin Municipal Airport. A Braniff Airways Inc. airplane is in the center of the photograph. There is a Humble aviation gasoline and lubricants pump in the photograph.
Date: October 22, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Library
Description: Photograph of exterior of Sidney Lanier High School on 1201 Payton Gin Road from Payton Gin Road. Five cars are parked in front of the school, and the flag poles are bare indicating the photograph was likely taken after school hours or on the weekend. The school name "Sidney Lanier High School" is visible on the front of the building above the white car facing the left of the image. Lanier High School was opened in 1961 and is a member of the Austin Independent School District. It was named after Confederate soldier and Southern poet Sidney Lanier.
Date: [1970, 1989]
Creator: Williamson, Nolen E.