Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 262 Matching Results

Search Results

[Spinach Farming]

Description: Photograph of two men standing in a spinach field, located on the south bank of the Colorado River. The man on the left is wearing a dark-colored suit and the man on the right is wearing lighter-colored clothing that is more casual; other workers are visible in the field behind them.
Date: unknown
Creator: Jordan Company

[Dacy Shoe Store Display]

Description: Photograph of a window display of photographs of servicemen during World War II at Dacy's Shoe Store. A sign reads "Let's back-up these Austin boys by buying more and more defense stamps and bonds, save 10% of your salary."
Date: 194u
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.

Telephone operators

Description: Toll office set up at 400 Congress Avenue due to fire which destroyed the toll bank in the telephone building at 410 Congress. Pictured L-R: Miss Anna Koch (Mrs. R. M. Ewalt), Beulah Morrow (Mrs. Beulah Davis), Clarence Oliver (Traffic Supt. for Texas ), Mrs. A. C. Newton (Toll chief operator), S. U. Barron, Marguertie Doris (Mrs. Marguerite Ravenelli), Lillie McGee, Laura Foster (Mrs. Laura Raley), Ollie Joyce (Mrs. Ollie Peterson).
Date: July 1916

[School of Military Aeronautics Band]

Description: Copy print of a marching band facing the front of the photo and standing on a street with their cased instruments in front of a formation of students facing the right side of the image. Both the band members and the students are wearing uniforms, and standing in lines at attention, with leaders in front of each group. In the foreground, a dog is standing in front of the band and an automobile is partially visible; in the background, several large buildings are visible, including a church or cathedral.
Date: unknown
Creator: Ellison Photo Co.

July 4th parade

Description: The Hibernian Association made up of male musicians and a group of women in the same white dress parade up Congress Avenue towards the ice cream garden of Messrs. Rosenfield and Co. Other citizens watch from the sides while traffic of horses and buggies wait in the background.
Date: July 4, 1874