This system will be undergoing maintenance Monday, January 23 from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST.

Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED
[Bull Creek]
Photograph of a man paddling a canoe in a body of water identified as Bull Creek; the shoreline is covered with trees.
[Correspondence to Henry Ladd from S.W. Doom]
A letter to Henry Ladd from attorney D.W. Doom regarding “the case of Elisabet Ney against yourself and Mosle.”
[Correspondence to Lucadia Pease from W.S. Porter (O. Henry)]
A letter to Lucadia Pease from W.S. Porter (O. Henry), who asks her for a loan.
[Correspondence to Lucadia Pease from W.S. Porter (O. Henry)]
A letter to Lucadia Pease from W.S. Porter (O. Henry), who asks her for a loan with his printing office as collateral.
[Correspondence to Julia Maria Pease from W.S. Porter (O. Henry)]
A letter to Julia Maria Pease from W.S. Porter (O. Henry), who asks for funds for a weekly publication.
[Correspondence to Lucadia Pease from W.S. Porter (O. Henry)]
A letter to Lucadia Pease from W.S. Porter (O. Henry), who asks her to carry a note on a property.
[Colorado River Bridge]
Photograph of a bridge over the Colorado River, shot from one end of it and looking across its length. A town (possibly Kingsland) is visible on the other side.
East Austin School Children
Photograph of East Austin school children in the lower 4th grade. The names of everyone in the photograph are listed on the back. Miss Mary Johnson is the teacher. The photograph is cabinet card format.
Fredericksburg 50th Jubilee
Photograph of the 50th Fredericksburg Jubilee. Men on horseback are lined up at the front. Several men are dressed in Native American clothing.
Jack County Courthouse
Photograph of the Jack County courthouse in Jacksboro, Texas. Several horse-drawn wagons with bundles of hay are gathered in the foreground.
[Group Portrait at a Picnic]
Photograph of the Haschke and Brown families on picnic in a lightly wooded area. The names of the people in this photograph are listed on the back. The photograph is a cyanotype.
Pontoon Bridge
Photograph of a pontoon bridge. A man is standing on the right side of the bridge. Further to the right is a horse tied to the bridge's post. A small building is visible past the other side of the water. The photograph is a cyanotype.
[Group Portarit at Camp Mabry, Austin]
Photograph of a group of people seated in a grassy area at Camp Mabry. The person on the far left is in a military uniform, holding a rifle. There are three women and one other man. Large tents and other men are visible in the background. The photograph is a cyanotype.
[Austin Baseball Team]
Photograph of a baseball team from Austin, Texas. The photograph is cabinet card format.
[Langtry, Texas Railroad Depot]
Photograph of the Railroad Depot at Langtry, Texas. It's a small building by the train tracks. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph says, "During the time of Judge Roy Bean's Law West of the Pecos."
[Execution Scene]
Photograph of a defendant at an execution, with a noose set up on a wooden platform. Caption on the back reads "This is a photograph of the defendant and assembled witnesses immediately prior to execution as he addressed a group of thousands assembled in front of jail. --Harry Hubert."
Granite Mountain near Marble Falls, Texas
Photograph of a large, smooth stone hill behind a line of trees. A handwritten note on the back of the photograph reads, "Granite Mountain near Marble Falls, Texas. 1890."
[Fire Wagon]
Photograph of a horse-drawn fire wagon stopped in the middle of an un-paved main street in front of a row of storefronts; a sign on the wagon says "Colorado No. 2, A Unit for the Dam, 44 Members - Strong." Other carriages are visible in the background and people are standing in the windows and on the first-floor roofs of the stores. The stores include Gammel's Used Books, J.O.Buaas, Phil Bruckmann Painter and Decorator, and a drug store.
Fort Sam Houston Tower
Photograph of the clock tower at Fort Sam Houston near San Antonio, Texas.
[Group Portrait of Four Young Women]
Photograph of four young women. Their names are handwritten on the back of the photograph and are as follows: Alma Harris, Eula Harris, Mayna (Molly) Caldwell, and another Harris whose first name is not listed.
Whistling Dick's Christmas Stocking
Short story about a "professional tramp" in New Orleans.
Fulton's Ice Cream Parlor
Two men and a little girl at the bar. A rooster is standing on the stool next to the girl. Fulton's was located at 1608 Lavaca St.
Temporary Capitol Burning
View of the Temporary Capitol building burning looking west. People witnessing the event in the intersection of 11th and Congress Avenue
[Snow on Capitol Grounds]
Looking south from the Capitol. The Temporary Capitol is in view on the right with the Travis County Courthouse on the left.
Texas School for the Blind
Group of men in suits and hats lined up in front of campus buildings. For more information: http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kct25
[Pavillion at Hyde Park]
A crowd watching four men in the lake behind the pavillion.
[Capitol from Old Main Building (University of Texas)]
View from the top of the Old Main Building (University of Texas) looking south at the Capitol. An unpaved University Avenue is in view.
University of Texas Football Team
Portrait of the University of Texas football team in uniform and their coach.
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from the northeast.
Sewanee vs. [University of] Texas, 1899
Photograph of Texas vs. Sewanee. Bleachers seat from 150 to 300. Clark Field. Spectators (almost entirely men) crowd the bleachers and the sidelines on both sides of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
[Governor's Mansion and grounds]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion showing the east elevation from across the street from the roof of the temporary capitol. The columns and entablature are painted dark shades; the porch is extended; and the trees have matured. The picket fence surrounding the lot steps down for the variation in grade. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1894 was Governor James Stephen Hogg. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
The Governor's Mansion
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from the front lawn.
Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896
Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach.
[People in Boat on Colorado River]
Photograph of three women and two nicely dressed men in a boat at Mormon Falls on the Colorado River with Mt. Bonnell in the background.
[St. Mary's Academy]
Photograph of St. Mary's Academy, a private school for girls. It was established in 1874 by the Holy Cross Sisters who assumed operations of a local parish school from the Sisters of Divine Providence. At first, Mother Angela Guillespie and Sister M. Austin did all of the teaching and cooking, but expansion was necessary as enrollment increased in 1875. This building was built in 1885 in the face of increased enrollment. By 1947, the sisters moved the school to a bigger location, and this building was sold and demolished on July 30, 1954.
[Land Office Building]
Photograph of the exterior of the Texas General Land Office building (now the Capitol Visitor's Center).
[Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin, Texas]
Photograph of the Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin in 1897, crowded with people. In the foreground a man in a suit and hat, carrying an umbrella, and a woman wearing a long white dress and hat, stroll toward the Grand Stand. Other people, some wearing military uniforms, are milling about. The wooden structure had raked seating under a long hipped roof, and one large central second story tower with smaller second story towers at each end. The structure, which served as a reviewing stand for troops, was burned by arson in 1902, and the original specifications exist at the Alexandar Architectural Archives at the University of Texas at Austin.
[Austin White Lime Company]
Photograph of the exterior of Austin White Lime Company. There is a man walking in front of the building and there are lime kilns in the background.
[Unkown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of a tackle at an unknown game at Clark Field. Players at this time did not wear helmets of protective padding. They wear no numbers or jerseys. The photographer's shadow is visible in the bottom of the image. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
[Impact at uknown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of low angle shot of an impact at an uknown game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless. Even at this close range, it is difficult to determine which players belong to which team. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
[Tackle at unknown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of Tackle at an uknown game at Clark Field. Coaches, referees, and players look on from the field and sidelines. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
[Four University of Texas at Austin football players in uniform with 1898 ball]
Photograph of four University of Texas football players, three standing and one kneeling on one knee and holding an 1898 football. The photograph is mounted on a cabinet card. The UT student players are wearing uniforms consisting of dark turtleneck sweaters with a large "T" centered on the chest, quilted padded pants, shin guards and leather lace-up ankle boots. The reverse of the photograph notes that the photograph is from the James H. Hart Estate. Hart is standing at the far left in the photograph. James Hart was an end on the 1897 football team, a tackle on the 1898 team and captain on the 1899 team. He led UT to 23-5 mark during his four seasons, including 6-0 record in 1900. Hart also served as secretary of the athletic association, and editor in chief of the 1899 Cactus. He returned to UT football as coach in 1902, leading the Longhorns to a 6-3-1 record, and served 26 years as alumni representative to UT Athletics Council.
[Unknown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of an unknown game at Clark Field shows players piling on each other right before a tackle while officials look on. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
[Kickoff of unkown game at Clark Field]
Photograph of kickoff of an unknown football game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless, and a crowd watches while standing across the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
[Three University of Texas at Austin football players]
Photograph of three University of Texas football plays standing tall. Uniforms consist of striped swaters with "UT" written on the breast; quilted pants, striped socks, and laced leather ankle boots. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
University of Texas old main building and library
Photograph of View of the University of Texas old Main Building and Library. The Old Main Building was constructed in three phases and completed in 1899. It remained the main administrative and library building for 35 years until its destruction in 1934.
Sprinkle Post Office
Photograph of men and boys posing outside of the Sprinkle Post Office in 1893. There are people standing on the porch of the Post Office, sitting in carriages, and on horseback. There are two yoked steer in the center of the photograph. The photograph is from the essay, "History of Sprinkle, Texas" by Lulu Pearl.
[Santa Monica Springs of the Colorado River]
Photograph of people sitting around and wading in Santa Monica Springs of the Colorado River in 1890.
[Interior of St. David's Episcopal Church]
Photograph of the sanctuary of St. David's Episcopal Church. It is decorated with lights and garland for Christmas.
[Exterior of Decker Methodist Church]
Photograph of the front exterior of Decker Methodist Church circa 1892. The church was built in 1879 and was moved in 1901. There is a large group standing in front of the church. Among those present are Reverend August Wallin, S.A. Lundell (grandfather of Mrs. Simon Swahn who was Hilma Johnson) and his brother Gustav Lundell, L.P. Swahn (father of Simon Swahn)and his brother C.J. Swahn, and F.G. Swenson.