Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 47 Matching Results

Search Results

Elisabet Ney's Studio

Description: Photograph of an exterior view of Elisabet Ney's Studio. The stone building has a classical style pediment. Two people are visible seated at a table to the side of the building. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: 1893

[Rogers Locomotive Works Locomotive]

Description: Photograph of a steam locomotive built by Rogers Locomotive works about 1875. One of the operators stands on the pilot attached to the engine by the front center coupler. Steam locomotives operated until the mid 20th century, when electric and diesel models took over. Rogers Locomotive and Machine Works, based in Paterson, New Jersey, was a popular 19th century manufacturer of railroad steam locomotives. This model is a 4-4-0 indicating its wheel-arrangement.
Date: 1895~

[Temporary Texas Capitol Building Fire]

Description: Photograph of the fire that destroyed the building that had temporarily served as the capitol building for the state of Texas while the new capitol building was being constructed. Firefighters can be seen spraying water in to the upper floors while a large number of spectators look on.
Date: August 30, 1899

[Lobby of First National Bank, Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of the lobby of First National Bank, including the bank teller window behind a grill. William Sydney Porter (O. Henry) is the teller. Another man stands behind the front counter, one is seated in back, and a customer is at the teller window. The man behind the open counter is listed as Brackenridge.
Date: [1890,1900]

Austin Primary School

Description: Group portrait of children posed for a portrait outside of a wood framed building. They wear costumes as if dressed for a school play. Many wear tunics with a large, round flower petal collar and a flower on the chest and one boy to the left holds an oversized flower. The building is a basic square design with a large window at the center of each quarter. Note that 200 Nueces and 717 West Ave. are written on the back.
Date: 1895

[Texas German and English Academy]

Description: Group portrait in front of the Texas German And English Academy, later Bickler School. The school was located at 208 West 14th Street. There is an inscription on the back of the photograph that reads "On June 12, 1881, I was born in the south west upstairs bedroom. This building is located at 208 W. 14th St. Mah H. Bickler."
Date: 1892~

[East track concreted]

Description: Photograph of the concrete team working on the east railroad track on Congress Avenue, looking toward the Capitol. The crews are working hard in the background while horses and carts line up to visit the clothing and shoe shops that line the road. Signs are visible for Carl Mayer Jeweler, Wright & Robinson, Mens Outfitters, Emil Risse art photographer, a commercial college and a laundry. A trolley car is visible in the distance.
Date: [1890..1899]

[Railroad crew digging]

Description: Photograph of a crew of African-Americans digging a ditch where the second railroad line will lie. They use shovels and pickaxes in front of a row of shops including C.B. Moreland Wall Paper store and the Postal Telegraph service.
Date: [1890..1899]

[Smelting crew joining rail ties]

Description: Photograph of the smelting crew pouring white hot liquid metal over rails as they install a railroad line in the street. Two men grip the bucket handles and tilt them and the bucket so that a third man can push the molten metal out, joining the rails together. The heads and faces of the men are not visible.
Date: [1890..1899]

[Sham Battle, Camp Mabry]

Description: Photograph of a sham battle being staged at Camp Mabry in 1895. In the right foreground are costumed men mounted on horses and standing/sitting on the ground. In the background are men lined up on the battlefield and, further back, encampments set up.
Date: 1895

Sewanee vs. [University of] Texas, 1899

Description: Photograph of Texas vs. Sewanee. Bleachers seat from 150 to 300. Clark Field. Spectators (almost entirely men) crowd the bleachers and the sidelines on both sides of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: November 9, 1899

[Governor's Mansion and grounds]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion showing the east elevation from across the street from the roof of the temporary capitol. The columns and entablature are painted dark shades; the porch is extended; and the trees have matured. The picket fence surrounding the lot steps down for the variation in grade. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1894 was Governor James Stephen Hogg. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1894
Creator: Wheelock, Charles B.