Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 43 Matching Results

Search Results

[Women Sewing]

Description: Photograph of a woman seated and working at a sewing machine while another woman stands next to her and leans over to help or teach her. Another woman stands behind them. A purse and some papers are on a table in the foreground.
Date: November 21, 1961

Pure Milk Company Portraits

Description: Photograph of a boy and a woman at a kitchen table. The woman stands in front of the table, her hand resting on the back of the chair, and she watches the boy as he sits and pours milk from a carton into a glass.
Date: November 20, 1961
Creator: Douglass, Neal

[Children bowling]

Description: Photograph of two children bowling in a school hallway. The young girl has released her ball, which rolls towards the seven pins. The boy is bent over, ready to release his ball as well.
Date: 1961
Creator: Douglass, Neal

Inter-playground table tennis tournament at Austin Athletic Center

Description: Photograph of inter-playground table tennis tournament at Austin Athletic Club with tables of both singles and doubles playing on the interior basketball courts. The bleachers are full of women and children watching. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: June 21, 1961
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin

Pan American Citizenship Class

Description: Photograph of ten elderly women and three men sit around a table at the Pan American Recreation Center for a United States citizenship class. A double sink and cupboards are in the background. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: April 19, 1961
Creator: Recreation Dept, City of Austin

"Sweetheart" Pan American Invitational Softball Tournament

Description: Photograph of Pan American Recreation Center's "Sweetheart" for their Invitational Softball Tournament with the trophies. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: June 1961
Creator: Recreational Dept., City of Austin