Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Holly Street Power Plant Construction]

Description: Photograph of the exterior of the Holly Street Power Plant. The wall still needs to be constructed, and the interior support beams and columns are visible from the outside. Two pickup trucks and a cement mixer are visible on the left. A disconnected crane claw sits on the ground near two construction sheds in front of the building.
Date: 1965
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

Trio Los Amigos

Description: Photograph of a trio of Mexican mariachi musicians at the Pan American Recreation Center. The mariachi wear sombreros and patterned panchos. The two mariachi on the right and left play guitarróns while the middle mariachi plays the Mexican vihuela. The mariachi mouths are open in mid-song. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: 1965
Creator: Parks and Recreation Department, City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[St. David's Episcopal Church]

Description: Photograph of the exterior of St. David's Episcopal Church taken from across the street at the intersection of San Jacinto and East 7th.
Date: March 22, 1965
Item Type: Photograph

Neal Douglass - Studio

Description: Shot of lamp equipment above desks on right hand side of the studio, looking at corner with trash can
Date: June 8, 1965
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

Wedding

Description: Mrs. Benson Rivera feeds her husband a piece of the wedding cake while both families look on
Date: February 19, 1965
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

Wedding

Description: Mr. & Mrs. Benson Rivera pose with bridesmaids/male companions
Date: February 19, 1965
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

Wedding

Description: Parents of Mr. & Mrs. Benson Rivera pose in front of the wedding cake
Date: February 19, 1965
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

Wedding

Description: Child of couple stands with bow in a driveway
Date: February 19, 1965
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

Wedding

Description: Men exit wedding follow Mr. & Mrs. Benson Rivera
Date: February 19, 1965
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

Austin Aerials - Lowich Building

Description: Aerial shot of Downtown Austin, State Capitol, and Lowich Building at 314 W 11th and Catercornered from Travis County Courthouse, which is adjacent to Wooldridge Park.
Date: January 15, 1965
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph