Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[12th Air Force Headquarters]

Description: Photograph of the headquarters of the 12th Air Force, a round building at Bergstrom Air Force Base. Cars are parked in the background.
Date: November 8, 1968
Item Type: Photograph

[Men Looking at Maps]

Description: Photograph of two men in U.S. Air Force jumpsuits, looking at a map and ruler on the table in front of them. Other maps are spread on the walls around them.
Date: October 1968
Item Type: Photograph

[Man Looking Over Shoulder]

Description: Photograph of a man in a military uniform looking over his shoulder in an office. He sits at a typewriter, and there are papers on the walls and the desk to his right.
Date: October 1968
Item Type: Photograph

[Men in Lounge]

Description: Photograph of several men in a lounge. A couple of them wear only pants, and there is a film projector on the table in the middle of the picture. A piano is visible to the right, and a bar is visible in the background.
Date: October 1968
Item Type: Photograph

[Man at Desk]

Description: Photograph of a man, McMahan, sitting at a desk with papers spread in front of him.
Date: October 1968
Item Type: Photograph

[Aircrew Class 69-5B]

Description: Photograph of a group of men, Aircrew Class 69-5B, standing in front of a plane. The men standing are, from left to right, Lieutenant Colonel Frank Cox, Major John T. Hicks, Major James T. Milulecky, and Captain Gerald V. West. The men kneeling are Major Robert W. Kline, Captain Denton M. Garner, Major Gordon P. Guenther, and Second Lieutenant Westly T. Corbin.
Date: [1968..1969]
Item Type: Photograph

[Four Men Sitting Around Table]

Description: Photograph of four men sitting around a table, with maps and rulers spread out in front of them. A larger map is visible on the wall in the background.
Date: [1968-10..1968-11]
Item Type: Photograph

[Men Looking at Map]

Description: Photograph of three men standing around two maps on a wall. The man in the middle points at a map with a pen, while the other two look on.
Date: [1968-10..1968-11]
Item Type: Photograph

[Aircrew Class 69-4B]

Description: Photograph of a group of men, Aircrew Class 69-4B, in front of a plane. Six of them kneel in front of the back row, who stand.
Date: 1968
Item Type: Photograph

[Aircrew Class 69-7B]

Description: Photograph of a group of men, Aircrew Class 69-7B, in front of a plane. Six of them kneel in front of the back row, who stand.
Date: 1968
Item Type: Photograph

[Pan American Recreation Center] Tiny Tot trip to Hillcrest Farms

Description: Photograph of children petting a calf at Hillcrest Farms on a Tiny Tot field trip hosted by Pan American Recreation Center. A boy pets the calf while a young girl feeds the calf a treat. Another boy and girl look on. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: April 15, 1968
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

[Pan American Recreation Center] Hillside Program

Description: Photograph of a band performing on a stage before a large audience seated on the lawn at the Pan American Recreation Center Hillside Program. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Date: June 20, 1968
Creator: Recreation Dept., City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

Austin High [School] R.O.T.C., 1968

Description: Photograph of Austin High R.O.T.C. in 1968. (This is a portion of a panoramic AR.U.006(235) Panoramic Collection; section 4 of 6). Austin High School opened in 1881 and was the first public high school in Texas. In 1968 the campus was located at 1212 Rio Grande Street.
Date: August 1968
Item Type: Photograph

Mrs. Mary Anne Joseph at Elisabet Ney Museum

Description: Photograph of Mrs. Mary Anne Joseph looking at a book inscription reading, "Very sincerely bride Nell Taylor, Feb 16, 1929, Elisabet Ney Museum" in front of a classic bust. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: February 2, 1968
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin
Item Type: Photograph

Oriental Gardens

Description: Photograph of Isamu Taniguchi at the Oriental garden in Zilker Park. He works on a stone pathway.
Date: February 25, 1968
Item Type: Photograph

Capitol in Color

Description: Aerial show of Lavaca St. looking north. In the center right foreground is the Robert Schieffer filling station (note the Texaco star). On the left background is the Castilian dormitory.
Date: December 20, 1968
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph

Aerial View of Town Lake

Description: Aerial view. Downtown Austin. Congress Avenue in center, the Driskill Hotel on the lower left, the Brown building upper right. Fifth street on the left and Eight Street on the right.
Date: November 1968
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Item Type: Photograph