Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 88 Matching Results

Search Results

Inter-playground table tennis tournament at Austin Athletic Center

Description: Photograph of inter-playground table tennis tournament at Austin Athletic Club with tables of both singles and doubles playing on the interior basketball courts. The bleachers are full of women and children watching. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: June 21, 1961
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin

[Awards at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a woman being presented with a trophy on green at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators stand to the right. A man operates a camera in the bed of a truck on the left. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association trophy at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a trophy awarded at the AWPLGA tournamen at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators are visible in the background. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and family at Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a family of four featuring an AWPLGA golfer, her husband, son, and daughter, on fairway during an AWPLGA tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of four golfers standing on the green at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer swinging at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a golfer swinging on a drive at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1966

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a woman golfer in view between tree branches at the AWPLGA tournament at Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1966

Mrs. Mary Anne Joseph at Elisabet Ney Museum

Description: Photograph of Mrs. Mary Anne Joseph looking at a book inscription reading, "Very sincerely bride Nell Taylor, Feb 16, 1929, Elisabet Ney Museum" in front of a classic bust. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: February 2, 1968
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin

[Visitors and bust of Elisabet Ney at the Elisabet Ney Museum]

Description: Photograph of Visitors Lesly Cain (age 7) and Mrs. Don Johnson examine a bust is of Mrs. Elisabet Ney at the Elisabet Ney Museum. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
Date: [1969..1979]
Creator: Hyatt, Darl

AWPLGA at Muny

Description: Group portrait of golfers from AWPLGA, the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association, drinking Jax beer. The stand outside under some strands of lights. A small truck is in the foreground.
Date: [1960, 1974]

[Rosewood playground pageant, August 1960]

Description: Photograph of the Rosewood Playground Pageant at Rosewood Park. In this performance, two actors sit next to each other on folding chairs before a painted cityscape background. The male actor holds his arms apart and looks at the female actress as if he is showing her something. Lights are strung above the actors in the outdoor stage area. Three boys in the foreground watch the play. A woman sits at a piano on the far right.
Date: August 1960