Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 11 - 34 of 78 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of a pontoon bridge. A man is standing on the right side of the bridge. Further to the right is a horse tied to the bridge's post. A small building is visible past the other side of the water. The photograph is a cyanotype.
Date: April 2, 1892
Description: Photograph of a group of people seated in a grassy area at Camp Mabry. The person on the far left is in a military uniform, holding a rifle. There are three women and one other man. Large tents and other men are visible in the background. The photograph is a cyanotype.
Date: May 8, 1898
Description: Photograph of a defendant at an execution, with a noose set up on a wooden platform. Caption on the back reads "This is a photograph of the defendant and assembled witnesses immediately prior to execution as he addressed a group of thousands assembled in front of jail. --Harry Hubert."
Description: Photograph of the clock tower at Fort Sam Houston near San Antonio, Texas.
Description: Photograph of a horse-drawn fire wagon stopped in the middle of an un-paved main street in front of a row of storefronts; a sign on the wagon says "Colorado No. 2, A Unit for the Dam, 44 Members - Strong." Other carriages are visible in the background and people are standing in the windows and on the first-floor roofs of the stores. The stores include Gammel's Used Books, J.O.Buaas, Phil Bruckmann Painter and Decorator, and a drug store.
Description: View from the top of the Old Main Building (University of Texas) looking south at the Capitol. An unpaved University Avenue is in view.
Description: Photograph of Texas vs. Sewanee. Bleachers seat from 150 to 300. Clark Field. Spectators (almost entirely men) crowd the bleachers and the sidelines on both sides of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: November 9, 1899
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion showing the east elevation from across the street from the roof of the temporary capitol. The columns and entablature are painted dark shades; the porch is extended; and the trees have matured. The picket fence surrounding the lot steps down for the variation in grade. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1894 was Governor James Stephen Hogg. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Creator: Wheelock, Charles B.
Description: Photograph of the Substitute Hook and Ladder Wagon and firemen outside of Texas State Capitol building taken from 11th Street and Colorado Street looking east. The Hook and Ladder Wagon is drawn by two horses.
Date: June 7, 1895
Description: Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach.
Date: April 13, 1896