Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 1,017 Matching Results

Search Results

[Frank Albrecht cleaning out Austin Athletic Club]

Description: Photograph of Frank Albrecht looking through a trash can of sporting equipment at the Austin Athletic Club. Large light fixtures, boxes, equipment bags, and other debrs is piled around him. A vending machine is visible on the left behind the open glass sliding doors. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: 1955

Inter-playground table tennis tournament at Austin Athletic Center

Description: Photograph of inter-playground table tennis tournament at Austin Athletic Club with tables of both singles and doubles playing on the interior basketball courts. The bleachers are full of women and children watching. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
Date: June 21, 1961
Creator: Recreation Department, City of Austin

[Awards at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a woman being presented with a trophy on green at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators stand to the right. A man operates a camera in the bed of a truck on the left. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association trophy at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a trophy awarded at the AWPLGA tournamen at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Spectators are visible in the background. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966

[Construction of the Municipal Golf Course tool house]

Description: Photograph of construction workers work on building the tool house at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. A ladder leans on a scaffolding leading to the roof. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: April 8, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Construction of] Municipal Golf Course tool house

Description: Photograph of construction of the Austin Municipal Golf Course tool house, made of white bricks. Scaffolding circles the walls, and the support for the roof is visible. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and then donated to the city in 1936, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: April 8, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer and family at Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a family of four featuring an AWPLGA golfer, her husband, son, and daughter, on fairway during an AWPLGA tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966

[Young fishermen at Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farm]

Description: Photograph of a family standing around a creek from which two children are fishing. The children, a boy between five and six years old and a girl between nine and twelve, hold fishing rods with lines cast into the water; a man sits on a log and watches. Other adults also stand on the creek bank. In 1852, Frederick and Harriet B. Jourdan settled on the site near Walnut Creek with their children. In 1956, grandchildren Laura and Eugene Giles, donated the core of their grandparents' property to the Heritage Society of Austin, in order to preserve the pioneer experience. The site and its museum operated under the auspices of the Austin Natural Science Association and later by the Parks and Recreation Department of the city of Austin until it was transferred back to the Heritage Society of Austin in 2003. Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms operates multiple sites today. Pioneer Farms is a member of the American Association of Museums, the Association of Living History Farms and Museums, the American Association for State and Local History, the Texas Association of Museums and the Austin Museum Partnership.Pioneer Farms is a registered Austin Historic Landmark and a designated Heritage Tourism Destination Site. Our Pioneer School is community-education partner with the Austin Community College.
Date: [1980..]

Club House at the Golf Course

Description: Photograph of the Austin Municipal Golf Course club house and surrounding landscape. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: 1934/unknown
Creator: Identification Bureau, Austin Police Dept.

[Golfer teeing off at Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a man teeing off at the start of a drive on the Austin Municipal Golf Course. His golf bag lies on the ground behind him. Trees are visible in the background. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 19, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Golfers putting on Municipal Golf Course green]

Description: Photograph of Four men at putting green on the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Their golf bags lie on the ground at the far edge of the green. Golfers are visible in the background. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 19, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

Water hazard on the number 8 hole

Description: Photograph of the view facing the green behind a water hazard on the number eight hole at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. Golfers are visible on the green in the background. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 14, 1939
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

Aerial view of Municipal Golf Course

Description: Photograph of An aerial view of Austin Municipal Golf Course, donated to the city in 1936 by the Austin Lion's Club. The club house is visible in the center of the image, with holes surrounding. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: 1936/unknown

View at Municipal Golf Course

Description: Photograph of two golfers teeing off at the start of a drive on the Austin Municipal Golf course. Concrete arrows point the direction of the green. A Lions Club lion statue is visible behind the golfers. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 19, 1941
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

[Golfers putting on green at Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of a man in suit putting while another golfer looks on. Golfers stand and sit in the shade under trees in the background. The Austin Municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: February 1, 1940
Creator: Bureau of Identification Photographic Lab., Austin

Paulissen Bakery and Bybee's Drug

Description: Photograph of Paulissen Bakery & Bybee's Drug located in Austin at 15th & Lavaca streets. Seven delivery trucks are lined up on the curb in front of the warehouse. Truck drivers standing in front of passenger side doors are: (first from left) Felix Danz; (fifth from left) Joe Carriage.
Date: 1935
Creator: Boone Photo Company, Austin, Tex.

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]

Description: Photograph of four golfers standing on the green at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1, 1966

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer swinging at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a golfer swinging on a drive at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1966

[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]

Description: Photograph of a woman golfer in view between tree branches at the AWPLGA tournament at Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Date: July 1966