Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Fulton's Ice Cream Parlor

Description: Two men and a little girl at the bar. A rooster is standing on the stool next to the girl. Fulton's was located at 1608 Lavaca St.
Date: March 20, 1897
Item Type: Photograph

Temporary Capitol Burning

Description: View of the Temporary Capitol building burning looking west. People witnessing the event in the intersection of 11th and Congress Avenue
Date: September 30, 1899
Item Type: Photograph

[Snow on Capitol Grounds]

Description: Looking south from the Capitol. The Temporary Capitol is in view on the right with the Travis County Courthouse on the left.
Date: February 14, 1895
Item Type: Photograph

Texas School for the Blind

Description: Group of men in suits and hats lined up in front of campus buildings. For more information: http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/kct25
Date: April 29, 1896
Item Type: Photograph

Sewanee vs. [University of] Texas, 1899

Description: Photograph of Texas vs. Sewanee. Bleachers seat from 150 to 300. Clark Field. Spectators (almost entirely men) crowd the bleachers and the sidelines on both sides of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: November 9, 1899
Item Type: Photograph

[Governor's Mansion and grounds]

Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion showing the east elevation from across the street from the roof of the temporary capitol. The columns and entablature are painted dark shades; the porch is extended; and the trees have matured. The picket fence surrounding the lot steps down for the variation in grade. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1894 was Governor James Stephen Hogg. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Date: 1894
Creator: Wheelock, Charles B.
Item Type: Photograph

Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896

Description: Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach.
Date: April 13, 1896
Item Type: Photograph

[St. Mary's Academy]

Description: Photograph of St. Mary's Academy, a private school for girls. It was established in 1874 by the Holy Cross Sisters who assumed operations of a local parish school from the Sisters of Divine Providence. At first, Mother Angela Guillespie and Sister M. Austin did all of the teaching and cooking, but expansion was necessary as enrollment increased in 1875. This building was built in 1885 in the face of increased enrollment. By 1947, the sisters moved the school to a bigger location, and this building was sold and demolished on July 30, 1954.
Date: 1894
Item Type: Photograph

[Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin, Texas]

Description: Photograph of the Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin in 1897, crowded with people. In the foreground a man in a suit and hat, carrying an umbrella, and a woman wearing a long white dress and hat, stroll toward the Grand Stand. Other people, some wearing military uniforms, are milling about. The wooden structure had raked seating under a long hipped roof, and one large central second story tower with smaller second story towers at each end. The structure, which served as a reviewing stand for troops, was burned by arson in 1902, and the original specifications exist at the Alexandar Architectural Archives at the University of Texas at Austin.
Date: 1897
Item Type: Photograph

[Austin White Lime Company]

Description: Photograph of the exterior of Austin White Lime Company. There is a man walking in front of the building and there are lime kilns in the background.
Date: 1890
Item Type: Photograph

[Unkown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of a tackle at an unknown game at Clark Field. Players at this time did not wear helmets of protective padding. They wear no numbers or jerseys. The photographer's shadow is visible in the bottom of the image. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.
Item Type: Photograph

[Impact at uknown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of low angle shot of an impact at an uknown game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless. Even at this close range, it is difficult to determine which players belong to which team. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.
Item Type: Photograph

[Tackle at unknown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of Tackle at an uknown game at Clark Field. Coaches, referees, and players look on from the field and sidelines. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.
Item Type: Photograph

[Four University of Texas at Austin football players in uniform with 1898 ball]

Description: Photograph of four University of Texas football players, three standing and one kneeling on one knee and holding an 1898 football. The photograph is mounted on a cabinet card. The UT student players are wearing uniforms consisting of dark turtleneck sweaters with a large "T" centered on the chest, quilted padded pants, shin guards and leather lace-up ankle boots. The reverse of the photograph notes that the photograph is from the James H. Hart Estate. Hart is standing at the far left in the photograph. James Hart was an end on the 1897 football team, a tackle on the 1898 team and captain on the 1899 team. He led UT to 23-5 mark during his four seasons, including 6-0 record in 1900. Hart also served as secretary of the athletic association, and editor in chief of the 1899 Cactus. He returned to UT football as coach in 1902, leading the Longhorns to a 6-3-1 record, and served 26 years as alumni representative to UT Athletics Council.
Date: 1898/1899-01-22
Creator: Journeay, William O.
Item Type: Photograph

[Unknown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of an unknown game at Clark Field shows players piling on each other right before a tackle while officials look on. A large crowd of spectators stands along the opposite side of the field. At this time players did not wear helmets or protective padding. Their uniforms consisted of opposing colors and did not contain team names, logos, player names, or numbers. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.
Item Type: Photograph

[Kickoff of unkown game at Clark Field]

Description: Photograph of kickoff of an unknown football game at Clark Field. The weather is sunny and cloudless, and a crowd watches while standing across the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Date: [1890..1919]
Creator: Hart, James H.
Item Type: Photograph