Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - Browse
Showing: 241 - 264 of 765 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Photograph of Austin Community Gardens at 45th and Guadalupe Streets. People are working in the gardens with various tools and are socializing. A man in cut-off denim shorts uses a motorized tool to turn over and aerate the soil in the foreground. Individuals in the background use various hand-held gardening tools. Individual plots are separated by string tied to wooden stakes, marking the boundaries. A tree-lined road marking the boundaries of the gardens is visible in the background.
Description: Photograph of a putting green with flag at Austin's Municipal Golf Course. Hills are visible in the background. Minor rough is visible in the foreground before the green.
Creator: Jordan Company Commercial Photographers
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion, east elevation. The building is two stories, with Ionic-style columns that run the length; there is a porch on each floor and the upper porch has intact framing, though the screens have been removed. A dark downspout is visible on the north elevation. Aluminum fencing is visible behind the mansion and several young trees are on the lawn.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion showing the east elevation, grounds, walkway, screened upper porch, flag pole, and Carriage House. The roof of the house is obscured by green foliage from several trees on the front lawn. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1945 was Governor Coke R. Stevenson. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Description: Photograph of International and Great Northern railroad tracks outside of Austin. On the tracks in the distance can be seen the switch, and in the far distance, the city watertower is visible. Telephone poles and brush are dominant, though some houses and fences indicating residences are visible.
Date: July 22, 1966
Creator: City of Austin
Description: Photograph of a classroom interior as seen from the back entrance door, showing wooden desks and seats with slatted backs in the foreground, along with a cast iron stove in the central aisle. To the back of the photograph lies the teacher's wooden desk, and a long blackboard that spans the length of the front classroom wall. There are two wall-mounted gas lamps above the blackboard, and several photographs are posted above and on the blackboard. The floor is constructed of wooden boards, and the walls are board and batten. There is a window to the right in the photograph, which has an opaque shade shaped like an awning. This is probably a view of the 1896 one-room school, which replaced the 1874 school that burned, and was used from 1896 to 1937. The 2 acres of land for the school were provided by William and Sophia Teague. Builders of the school were Henry Johnson, Oscar Carlson, and John Marshall. This photograph is copied from a manuscript by Mrs. H. R. Gentry, entitled: "Eanes School, Travis County".
Description: Photograph of two women wearing long dresses and large hats, two men in suits and hats, a black porter and two conductors (one black and one white) stand near a stationary train. One of the women is standing on the boarding stool at the train door and bending over; she appears to be looking for something. Above her, part of a third woman's body is visible in the door opening. There is a number written in pencil on the lower left corner of the photograph that reads "6009".
Description: Photograph of the aircraft control tower under construction at Mueller Municipal Airport. There is scaffolding around the concrete interior support structure, and board formwork is in place for pouring a flared level near the top of the tower. In front of the tower, the scalloped metal terminal roof is under construction, and there are several wooden construction shacks in foreground.
[Six men in front of a "Enfield Special" railroad car at the Southern Pacific station in Austin, Texas]
Description: Photograph of six men in suits and hats posed in front of a private railroad car in the Austin Southern Pacific terminal at 301 Congress Avenue. A banner hung on the car says: "ENFIELD SPECIAL FROM AUSTIN, TEXAS TO WASHINGTON D.C. VIA S.P. LINES", and the same information was recorded on the bottom of the negative. The depot was constructed in 1902 as the Houston and Texas Central depot, and an addition was added to the east side in 1935.
Description: Photograph of St. Mary's Academy, a private school for girls. It was established in 1874 by the Holy Cross Sisters who assumed operations of a local parish school from the Sisters of Divine Providence. At first, Mother Angela Guillespie and Sister M. Austin did all of the teaching and cooking, but expansion was necessary as enrollment increased in 1875. This building was built in 1885 in the face of increased enrollment. By 1947, the sisters moved the school to a bigger location, and this building was sold and demolished on July 30, 1954.
Description: Photograph of the Grand Stand at Camp Mabry in Austin in 1897, crowded with people. In the foreground a man in a suit and hat, carrying an umbrella, and a woman wearing a long white dress and hat, stroll toward the Grand Stand. Other people, some wearing military uniforms, are milling about. The wooden structure had raked seating under a long hipped roof, and one large central second story tower with smaller second story towers at each end. The structure, which served as a reviewing stand for troops, was burned by arson in 1902, and the original specifications exist at the Alexandar Architectural Archives at the University of Texas at Austin.