Austin History Center, Austin Public Library - 968 Matching Results

Search Results

Paulissen Bakery and Bybee's Drug
Photograph of Paulissen Bakery & Bybee's Drug located in Austin at 15th & Lavaca streets. Seven delivery trucks are lined up on the curb in front of the warehouse. Truck drivers standing in front of passenger side doors are: (first from left) Felix Danz; (fifth from left) Joe Carriage.
Nash Moreno's Auto Repair Service Station
Photograph of the front of Nash Moreno's Auto Repair Service, located at 1005 E. 6th Street in Austin. Mr. Moreno is fifth from the right. The cars are Roy's Taxis. Service men and taxi drivers stand at the front of each of five taxis parked facing the road. Next door is the Casino Bar.
[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of four golfers standing on the green at the Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association tournament at the Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer swinging at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]
Photograph of a golfer swinging on a drive at the AWPLGA tournament at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association golfer at the Municipal Golf Course tournament]
Photograph of a woman golfer in view between tree branches at the AWPLGA tournament at Municipal Golf Course. The Austin Women's Public Links Golf Association (AWPLGA) was founded in 1940 by local female amateur golfers at the Municipal Golf Course in 1940. According to the 1950 AWPLGA constitution, the organization was formed to "promote the true spirit of golf and good fellowship among its members." Membership was open to all women golfers of Central Texas. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road and donated to the city in 1936, has served it's citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Rear of hut at Austin Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of rear view of a small roofed structure with benches inside on the Austin Municipal Golf Course. The hut is surrounded by trees and uneven land with a green behind it on the right. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Parents and children visit turkeys at Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms]
Photograph of a group of parents and small children visiting the turkey coop at Pioneer Farms. Two children and parent look into the turkey coop. A white turkey is walking toward the coop. Feed covers the ground. In 1852, Frederick and Harriet B. Jourdan settled on the site near Walnut Creek with their children. In 1956, grandchildren Laura and Eugene Giles, donated the core of their grandparents' property to the Heritage Society of Austin, in order to preserve the pioneer experience. The site and its museum operated under the auspices of the Austin Natural Science Association and later by the Parks and Recreation Department of the city of Austin until it was transferred back to the Heritage Society of Austin in 2003. Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms operates multiple sites today. Pioneer Farms is a member of the American Association of Museums, the Association of Living History Farms and Museums, the American Association for State and Local History, the Texas Association of Museums and the Austin Museum Partnership.Pioneer Farms is a registered Austin Historic Landmark and a designated Heritage Tourism Destination Site. Our Pioneer School is community-education partner with the Austin Community College.
[Golfers and caddy on green at Austin Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of a putting green at Austin Municipal Golf Course with one man, two women and a boy. One of the women puts the ball while the man holds the flag and a golf bag with clubs. The boy holds another golf bag with clubs while the second woman leans on her putter. A man on tractor rides by them behind the green. Trees are in the distance. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
View [of club house] at Municipal Golf Course
Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course and Club House and lawn. The grass is freshly mowed and the club house is partially obscured in the background by trees and shrubs. Club house entrance and right elevation are visible. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Golfers putting on green at Austin Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of a family playing golf at the Austin Municipal Golf Course and a lawn maintenance worker keeping the grounds. One woman puts while a man holds the flag. A boy holds a second golf bag while a second woman looks on. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Hut at the Municipal] Golf Course
Photograph of Small roofed structure with benches inside at the Austin Municipal Golf Course. The hut is surrounded by trees and uneven land. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Golfers on the green at Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of the green from the trees; man in foreground, five men with clubs in background. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Man walking in snow before Ranger statue at Texas State Capitol building]
Photograph of a man walking in the snow and carrying an umbrella to protect his uncovered head from snow flurries. He is in front of the Texas Ranger equestrian statue on the grounds of the Texas state capitol building. Light snow covers the sidewalk and ground, indicating this snowfall as the first.
[Municipal Golf Course club house]
Photograph of Municipal Gold Course club house in snow with lion statue representing the Lions Club, which built the clubhouse in 1928. The entrance opens to the right. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
Club house at Municipal Golf Course [in snow]
Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course Club House entrance covered in snow. Wooden chairs and a bench sit on the concrete patio to the left of the double screen door entrance. Two large bushes flank the walkway. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Austin Municipal Golf Course] caretaker's house
Photograph of the caretaker's house at the Austin municipal golf course. The house is made of white brick with several screened windows and a screen door facing a concrete patio. A wooden ladder leans on the side of the house to the roof. Construction debris litters the grassless yard. A shed sits behind the house. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Station wagon pulls Jackie Gerber, skiing on snow]
Photograph of Jackie Gerber of Austin, trying to ski behind a car on the first snowfall in several years. About 3-4 inches fell in the area, causing the closure of schools and many businesses. The modified water skies used by Gerber didn't do too well on the dry snow.
[Austin Municipal Golf Course club house]
Photograph of Austin Municipal Golf Course Club House front elevation. Screened double doors, a columned entrance, and gable windows are visible. The municipal Golf Course, constructed originally by the Lions Club in 1928 at 2901 Enfield Road, has served its citizens since 1934 and has long been Austin's most popular course.
[Exterior of log cabin at Bohl's Place]
Photograph of the exterior of the log cabin at Bohl's Place. A bare tree stands on the side of the cabin. The cabin has a lifted, covered porch at the rear.
[Children's washtub band at Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farm]
Photograph of a washtub band consisting of at least nine young adults performing in a barn at Pioneer Farms. They wear homemade t-shirts that read "I'm a Singing Spark." Instruments consist of: three guitars, guitarron, banjo, washtub bass, and at least one tambourine. In 1852, Frederick and Harriet B. Jourdan settled on the site near Walnut Creek with their children. In 1956, grandchildren Laura and Eugene Giles, donated the core of their grandparents' property to the Heritage Society of Austin, in order to preserve the pioneer experience. The site and its museum operated under the auspices of the Austin Natural Science Association and later by the Parks and Recreation Department of the city of Austin until it was transferred back to the Heritage Society of Austin in 2003. Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms operates multiple sites today. Pioneer Farms is a member of the American Association of Museums, the Association of Living History Farms and Museums, the American Association for State and Local History, the Texas Association of Museums and the Austin Museum Partnership.Pioneer Farms is a registered Austin Historic Landmark and a designated Heritage Tourism Destination Site. Our Pioneer School is community-education partner with the Austin Community College.
[Rapid waters formed at Austin Dam after Colorado River flood]
Photograph of high, rapid waters of the Colorado River at the site of the former Austin Dam. The dam was built in 1890 in an attempt to bring industry to the city, but failed after upriver storms sent a flood cracking the dam and killing eight people when the powerhouse flooded.
[Metalsmith sculptor selling wares at the Renaissance Market]
Photograph of a metalsmith working on a sculpture on his sales table at the Renaissance Market on "The Drag" on Guadalupe Street near the University of Texas, Austin campus. His sculptures are towers, airships, and flowers with a fantastic element. His table is set up in front of a mural. A woman browses his wares.
Mrs. Mary Anne Joseph at Elisabet Ney Museum
Photograph of Mrs. Mary Anne Joseph looking at a book inscription reading, "Very sincerely bride Nell Taylor, Feb 16, 1929, Elisabet Ney Museum" in front of a classic bust. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
[Exterior of Elisabet Ney Museum]
Photograph of the exterior of the Elisabet Ney Museum located at 304 East 44th Street. The house is made of stone and has a classical pediment and a tower. A flag is visible on the tower. The grounds are unkempt.In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
[Exterior of Elisabet Ney Studio]
Photograph of men, women, and children enjoy the outdoors outside of Elisabet Ney's sculpture studio. Bare tree branches and coats indicate the season is probably late fall or winter. This is the south elevation of the studio which is made of stone. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
[Old City Hall]
Photograph of the front elevation of the old city hall in Austin.
Elisabet Ney's Studio
Photograph of an exterior view of Elisabet Ney's Studio. The stone building has a classical style pediment. Two people are visible seated at a table to the side of the building. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
[Glass Merchandise at Renaissance Market]
Photograph of a handcrafted glass tree sculpture for sale at the Renaissance Market on "The Drag" on Guadalupe Street near the University of Texas, Austin campus. Other sculptures of a bird bath and armadillos also on display. The tree catches the sunlight and glistens while shoppers browse in the background.
[Sandal vendor at the Renaissance Market]
Photograph of a vendor selling flipflops at the Renaissance Market off "The Drag" portion of Guadalupe Street near the University of Texas, Austin campus. Other vendors on the lot have taken down their booths and vacated, leaving the lot bare and full of bricks.
[Visitors and bust of Elisabet Ney at the Elisabet Ney Museum]
Photograph of Visitors Lesly Cain (age 7) and Mrs. Don Johnson examine a bust is of Mrs. Elisabet Ney at the Elisabet Ney Museum. In 1892, European portrait sculptor Elisabet Ney (1833-1907) purchased property in Austin at 304 East 44th Street, established a studio named Formosa, and resumed her career as a noted sculptor. Ney sculpted and collected portraits of notable Texans and Europeans. Following Ney’s death in 1907, her friends preserved the studio and its contents as the Elisabet Ney Museum and established the Texas Fine Arts Association dedicated to her memory.
[Austin Dam broken in Colorado River flood]
Photograph of Southeast view of the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood. The dam was built in 1890 in an attempt to bring industry to the city, but failed after upriver storms sent a flood cracking the dam and killing eight people when the powerhouse flooded.
[Town Lake Gazebo]
Photograph of the Town Lake Gazebo. A pathway curves around to the gazebo in the foreground and Town Lake is behind the gazebo. Buildings across the river and a bridge are visible in the background. Started in 1967 and dedicated to the city in 1970 by the Austin Chapter of the National Association of Women in Construction as a "lasting tribute to the construction industry." The gazebo is built on the promontory where Barton Creek flows into Town Lake providing a view of downtown Austin from the south side of Town Lake.
[Governor's Mansion]
Print of the Texas Governor's Mansion from the southeast showing the front elevation and south elevation, the grounds, and a trellis to the left of the steps. The mansion is partially obscured by young trees. A large bush sits near the walkway on the right. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant during this time in 1905 was Governor S.W.T. Lanham. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
[Holy Cross Hospital entrance]
Photograph of the front of Holy Cross Hospital facility. Cars are parked to the left and right of the entrance. The hospital was established on the church grounds in 1940, but moved to its larger facility seen here at 2610 East 19th (now Martin Luther King Jr.) Street in 1951 under the charge of the Missionary Sisters of the Immaculate Conception. The hospital was closed in 1989.
[Rear of a small log cabin in the woods]
Photograph of the rear of a small long cabin in a wooded area. The stone chimney stack is in the center of the wall and a small box for firewood sits to the left of the chimney. A small paned window with shutters is visible on the left side of the cabin.
[Crowd watches a concert on the hillside at Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of a crowd of people watching a concert at Zilker Hillside Theater in Austin. The people are seated on the grassy hillside.
Hello Dolly at the Zilker Hillside Theater
Photograph of "Hello Dolly" performed on stage at the Zilker Park Hillside Theater in Austin.
Hello Dolly at the Zilker Hillside Theater
Photograph of "Hello Dolly" being performed at Zilker Hillside Theater in Austin.
[Girl Crazy performed on stage at the Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of a scene from the musical comedy "Girl Crazy" performed on stage at the Zilker Hillside Theater. Cast of men and women perfom on an outdoor plaza set.
[Wildcat performed on stage at Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of a scene from a summer musical "Wildcat" performed on stage at the open-air Zilker Hillside Theater. Cast of men and women perform on stage and two actors climb a tower set.
[Musical comedy Seventeen performed on stage at the Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of musical comedy "Seventeen" performed on stage at the Zilker Hillside Theater. The cast of young men and women line up in pairs beneath the open air.
[Girl Crazy performed on stage at the Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of a scene from the musical comedy "Girl Crazy" performed at the Zilker Hillside Theater in Austin. Cast members perform on a western-themed set.
[Musical Comedy Seventeen performed at the Zilker Hillside Theater]
Photograph of musical comedy "Seventeen" performed on stage at the Zilker Hillside Theater in Austin. A cast of young men and women sit on the steps of a set that looks like a two-story house.
Last Eagle passenger train through Austin
Photograph of the last Eagle passenger train to go through Austin. The train stops at the Austin International & Great Northern (I&GN) Railroad depot in Austin. There are no passengers waiting on the platform. The engine has the logo of C&EI (Chicago and Eastern Illinois Railroad). I&GN Railroad operated in Texas. It was created when the International Railroad company and Houston-based Great Northern Railroad company merged on September 30, 1873. I&GN's Austin depot was completed on 3rd and Congress Avenues on December 28, 1876. In 1924, the I&GN was bought by Gulf Coast Lines (GCL), which was subsequently purchased by Missouri Pacific on Januray 1, 1925. I&GN operated as a subsidiary of Missouri Pacific until March 1, 1956, when all GCL subsidiaries were merged under Missouri Pacific, and I&GN ceased to operate as a corporate entity. The old Austin depot had been demolished in 1950. The station in the photograph, at 250 North Lamar Boulevard, was built in 1947 by Missouri Pacific. It discontinued the Texas Eagle on September 22, 1970. Later Amtrak assumed operation of the station and the Eagle.
[Aerial View of Deep Eddy]
Photograph of an aerial view of Deep Eddy pool and surrounding area. The pool is dried out and the trees are bare indicating winter. There are no visible people or activity near the pool. Deep Eddy began as a natural swimming hole in the Colorado River and was expanded into a man-made swimming pool in 1915 by A.J. Eilers, Sr. Deep Eddy pool is the oldest swimming pool in Texas and is operated and maintained by the City of Austin.
Pan American Recreation Center's Skating Class
Photograph of the Pan American Recreation Center's skating class in the Zavala Gym. A line of seven boys, aged 9 through 12 hold on to each other's shirts while skating in a line through the gym. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
Austin Annual Kite Tournament, 1942
Photograph of a group portrait of participants at the annual kite tournament featuring home made kites of various sizes flown by boys and a few girls. Most kites are decorated with a patriotic theme, in support of the American troops in World War II.
[Boy with Kite]
Photograph of a young boy with a kite. His kite has cartoon eyes, and he wears a striped shirt.
All Tied up on Zilker Kite Field
Photograph of "All tied up on Zilker kite field." Two teenagers try to untangle a number of kite strings while two girls stand by. They are in a field at Zilker Park in Austin.
[Governor's Mansion Library]
Photograph of interior view of the Governor's Mansion showing the library, looking at fireplace with mirrored over mantel. Through the door on the right the wallpapered entry hall is visible. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant during this time in 1935 was Democratic Governor James V. Allred. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.